New HP Laptop works much slower than older gateway

Parvick

New HP Laptop works much slower than older gateway
Hi,
Last week I bought HP notebook with 2.0 GHZ and 2GB RAM. But to my surprise
it works lot slower than my old gateway which is 1.5 ghz and 1GB RAM.

the only difference is old laptop has windows xp home and the new one has
Vista home premium.

Also, I tried to disable some startup programs and check how much memory
consumption it shows after start-up (without starting any other programs) it
shows in the performance tab that current memory utilization is about 1.2 GB
out of 2GB whereas when I manually calculated the memory utilization total
from the list of processes running it was actually 650MB.

So, I am wondering where is the other 550MB getting utilized even though no
processes are listed?????

Any clue?????
mikeyhsd

Re: New HP Laptop works much slower than older gateway
what virus program did they stick you with.

sounds like probably norton.

download the uninstaller from norton site.

download either avg or avast.
uninstall norton and install the other.

special uninstaller is needed as norton does not uninstall itself properly.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Parvick" <Parvick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C00FC76-65F1-4B8A-AA27-AAA48EA395FA@microsoft.com...
Hi,
Last week I bought HP notebook with 2.0 GHZ and 2GB RAM. But to my surprise
it works lot slower than my old gateway which is 1.5 ghz and 1GB RAM.

the only difference is old laptop has windows xp home and the new one has
Vista home premium.

Also, I tried to disable some startup programs and check how much memory
consumption it shows after start-up (without starting any other programs) it
shows in the performance tab that current memory utilization is about 1.2 GB
out of 2GB whereas when I manually calculated the memory utilization total
from the list of processes running it was actually 650MB.

So, I am wondering where is the other 550MB getting utilized even though no
processes are listed?????

Any clue?????
gsjutla

RE: New HP Laptop works much slower than older gateway
Configure a performance monitor log and check what is the bottleneck and
killing the system performance.
--
Regards
Gurpreet Singh