Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista unable to backup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
Vista unable to backup
i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:

A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file
or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)

My disk setup is as follows:
c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
--
ST1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
Backing up what? C, D or K - backing up to where C, D, or K? Only D has
enough space.


"SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:95029113-785B-4BEA-A1FE-19CAA81565FB@microsoft.com...
>i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
>
> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> file
> or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
>
> My disk setup is as follows:
> c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> --
> ST1



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
Hi thanks for reply

I have always backed up C and D to the external hard drive K: and it has
been fine up umtil August 2007 when it started with the error message stated
earlier. Ive tried a few things (defrag, cleanup, vbadmin command which did
not work, even tried just backing up c: to a dvd disc all to no avail. Help


ST1


"AJR" wrote:

> Backing up what? C, D or K - backing up to where C, D, or K? Only D has
> enough space.
>
>
> "SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:95029113-785B-4BEA-A1FE-19CAA81565FB@microsoft.com...
> >i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
> >
> > A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> > Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> > file
> > or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
> >
> > My disk setup is as follows:
> > c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> > d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> > k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> > --
> > ST1

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
MGZ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
I have exactly the same problem after changing my external HD where I use to
backup the data,
I tried to reformat the external disk and manually try to resize in the new
disk with vssadmin but the error I have is the spedified volume shado copy
storage association was not found.

Anyone knows where I can change or associate the disk ?

thank you

Manuel

"SHAUNT" wrote:

> Hi thanks for reply
>
> I have always backed up C and D to the external hard drive K: and it has
> been fine up umtil August 2007 when it started with the error message stated
> earlier. Ive tried a few things (defrag, cleanup, vbadmin command which did
> not work, even tried just backing up c: to a dvd disc all to no avail. Help
>
>
> ST1
>
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
> > Backing up what? C, D or K - backing up to where C, D, or K? Only D has
> > enough space.
> >
> >
> > "SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:95029113-785B-4BEA-A1FE-19CAA81565FB@microsoft.com...
> > >i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
> > >
> > > A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> > > Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> > > file
> > > or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
> > >
> > > My disk setup is as follows:
> > > c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> > > d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> > > k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> > > --
> > > ST1

> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2007
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista unable to backup
I even talked to pc world tech guys where i bought my pc from they advised me
a few options which did not work. So they latest advice is save all the data
i need somewhere and the re-install vista which may or may not fix the
problem. I have not done it yet as wanted to ask: DURING THE NEW INSTALL
WILL VISTA LET ME DECIDE HOW I WANT TO PARTITION THE C: DRIVE ? as ive read
when vista installs it ASSIGNS itself the OPTIMUM amount of space it
requires. If this is true can i over ride it so I can decide how much space
its getting. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thankyou
--
ST1


"SHAUNT" wrote:

> i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
>
> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file
> or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
>
> My disk setup is as follows:
> c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> --
> ST1

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2007
John Hanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
You did not say which disk you were using as your backup destination; if it
was your k: drive, with 16.36 GB free, that is a small amount for a Vista
backup; each backup of mine runs close to 40 GB. You might also consider
entering your error message 0x8004231F into a google search and see what
turns up; it may be that someone else has had the problem and solved it.

"SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:78ADB2C1-3231-42AA-B59D-AF59062831BF@microsoft.com...
>I even talked to pc world tech guys where i bought my pc from they advised
>me
> a few options which did not work. So they latest advice is save all the
> data
> i need somewhere and the re-install vista which may or may not fix the
> problem. I have not done it yet as wanted to ask: DURING THE NEW INSTALL
> WILL VISTA LET ME DECIDE HOW I WANT TO PARTITION THE C: DRIVE ? as ive
> read
> when vista installs it ASSIGNS itself the OPTIMUM amount of space it
> requires. If this is true can i over ride it so I can decide how much
> space
> its getting. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thankyou
> --
> ST1
>
>
> "SHAUNT" wrote:
>
>> i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
>>
>> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
>> Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
>> file
>> or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
>>
>> My disk setup is as follows:
>> c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
>> d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
>> k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
>> --
>> ST1


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2007
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
*** THE PROBLEM MAY HAVE BEEN NOT ENOUGH FREE SPACE ON MY EXTERNAL KRIVE ***

I have just managed to backup the c: system partition only. I had to delete
a 20GB music files backup on the external k:drive I had done myself which
now makes my k:drive 36.1GB FREE. I am attempting to backup my c and d drive
together and will post the outcome here.
--
ST1


"John Hanley" wrote:

> You did not say which disk you were using as your backup destination; if it
> was your k: drive, with 16.36 GB free, that is a small amount for a Vista
> backup; each backup of mine runs close to 40 GB. You might also consider
> entering your error message 0x8004231F into a google search and see what
> turns up; it may be that someone else has had the problem and solved it.
>
> "SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:78ADB2C1-3231-42AA-B59D-AF59062831BF@microsoft.com...
> >I even talked to pc world tech guys where i bought my pc from they advised
> >me
> > a few options which did not work. So they latest advice is save all the
> > data
> > i need somewhere and the re-install vista which may or may not fix the
> > problem. I have not done it yet as wanted to ask: DURING THE NEW INSTALL
> > WILL VISTA LET ME DECIDE HOW I WANT TO PARTITION THE C: DRIVE ? as ive
> > read
> > when vista installs it ASSIGNS itself the OPTIMUM amount of space it
> > requires. If this is true can i over ride it so I can decide how much
> > space
> > its getting. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thankyou
> > --
> > ST1
> >
> >
> > "SHAUNT" wrote:
> >
> >> i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
> >>
> >> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> >> Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> >> file
> >> or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
> >>
> >> My disk setup is as follows:
> >> c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> >> d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> >> k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> >> --
> >> ST1

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2008
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
unfortunately my little plan did not work as i can only backup the c:
partition and not the d: DATA. But ive now referred this problem to
Microsoft Technical Support and will post the outcome here
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2008
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup
I have had to use the backup software which came with my external K: drive to
backup the data on the D: partition.

I know this is not the ideal situation but at least i have now got both C:
and D: partitions backed up although its using 2 separate backup methods. So
i will keep this scenario for now. If you do manage to get a solution for
the original problem please let me know.

Thankyou
--
ST1


"MGZ" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem after changing my external HD where I use to
> backup the data,
> I tried to reformat the external disk and manually try to resize in the new
> disk with vssadmin but the error I have is the spedified volume shado copy
> storage association was not found.
>
> Anyone knows where I can change or associate the disk ?
>
> thank you
>
> Manuel
>
> "SHAUNT" wrote:
>
> > Hi thanks for reply
> >
> > I have always backed up C and D to the external hard drive K: and it has
> > been fine up umtil August 2007 when it started with the error message stated
> > earlier. Ive tried a few things (defrag, cleanup, vbadmin command which did
> > not work, even tried just backing up c: to a dvd disc all to no avail. Help
> >
> >
> > ST1
> >
> >
> > "AJR" wrote:
> >
> > > Backing up what? C, D or K - backing up to where C, D, or K? Only D has
> > > enough space.
> > >
> > >
> > > "SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:95029113-785B-4BEA-A1FE-19CAA81565FB@microsoft.com...
> > > >i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
> > > >
> > > > A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> > > > Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> > > > file
> > > > or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
> > > >
> > > > My disk setup is as follows:
> > > > c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> > > > d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> > > > k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> > > > --
> > > > ST1
> > >
> > >
> > >

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2008
SHAUNT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista unable to backup

-- I have had to use the backup software which came with my external K:
drive to backup the data on the D: partition.

I know this is not the ideal situation but at least i have now got both C:
and D: partitions backed up although its using 2 separate backup methods. So
i will keep this scenario for now. If you do manage to get a solution for
the original problem please let me know.

Thankyou

ST1


"John Hanley" wrote:

> You did not say which disk you were using as your backup destination; if it
> was your k: drive, with 16.36 GB free, that is a small amount for a Vista
> backup; each backup of mine runs close to 40 GB. You might also consider
> entering your error message 0x8004231F into a google search and see what
> turns up; it may be that someone else has had the problem and solved it.
>
> "SHAUNT" <SHAUNT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:78ADB2C1-3231-42AA-B59D-AF59062831BF@microsoft.com...
> >I even talked to pc world tech guys where i bought my pc from they advised
> >me
> > a few options which did not work. So they latest advice is save all the
> > data
> > i need somewhere and the re-install vista which may or may not fix the
> > problem. I have not done it yet as wanted to ask: DURING THE NEW INSTALL
> > WILL VISTA LET ME DECIDE HOW I WANT TO PARTITION THE C: DRIVE ? as ive
> > read
> > when vista installs it ASSIGNS itself the OPTIMUM amount of space it
> > requires. If this is true can i over ride it so I can decide how much
> > space
> > its getting. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thankyou
> > --
> > ST1
> >
> >
> > "SHAUNT" wrote:
> >
> >> i just started getting the following error message when trying to bacup:
> >>
> >> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> >> Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> >> file
> >> or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)
> >>
> >> My disk setup is as follows:
> >> c: capacity:29.99 GB 13.99 GB FREE
> >> d: capacity:148.51 GB 119.28 GB FREE partition of c:
> >> k: capacity:76.69 GB 16.36 GB FREE external hard drive
> >> --
> >> ST1

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7 =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 30 02-22-2011 01:56
UNABLE TO BACKUP PC IN WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE EDDIE microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 12-09-2007 22:32
Unable to backup Vista 32 Michael W. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 11-12-2007 01:57
Unable to backup and Duplicate Folders Merle microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 07-04-2007 20:30
Unable to detect PC Backup DVD jchen microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 4 06-29-2007 05:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:39.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120