The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate

Ray

The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate
I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and settings
(4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
test restore.
Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though I
backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with a
high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft directly?
Thanks in Advance.
Ray
John

Re: The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate
"Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and
> settings
> (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> test restore.
> Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though
> backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with
> high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft
> directly?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Ray

These newsgroups are littered with Backup problems. Look at some of the
other posts. I'm getting scared to death from them that my backup won't
work when my drive crashes. I can't see what Backup thinks I have backed
up. Oh, yes, I can see the folder listing, but that is just an O/S
directory; I don't know if Backup sees them as sets, or what?

For example, when my backup device was full the other day, I reformatted it
to get it running again. Get this: the Backup program said my oldest
backup was August 31, 2007! And I had just formatted the drive! No, I
don't trust this program--and I paid extra to get Ultimate to get the
program.

John

Ray

Re: The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate
I am already on ultimate

"John" wrote:

> "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> > restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and
> > settings
> > (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> > test restore.
> > Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though
> > backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> > where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with
> > high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft
> > directly?
> > Thanks in Advance.
> > Ray

> These newsgroups are littered with Backup problems. Look at some of the
> other posts. I'm getting scared to death from them that my backup won't
> work when my drive crashes. I can't see what Backup thinks I have backed
> up. Oh, yes, I can see the folder listing, but that is just an O/S
> directory; I don't know if Backup sees them as sets, or what?
>
> For example, when my backup device was full the other day, I reformatted it
> to get it running again. Get this: the Backup program said my oldest
> backup was August 31, 2007! And I had just formatted the drive! No, I
> don't trust this program--and I paid extra to get Ultimate to get the
> program.
>
> John

SWOTAR

RE: The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate
I have the EXACT same problem...
I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext hard drive... I did a
'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor)
Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this
formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory
defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the
other DELL junk...
Now, I'd like to restore the computer to before the DELL repair... the files
are all still on the B: drive, I can see them there...
However, when I go to 'Restore files' -> 'Advanced restore' -> 'Warning -
Continue' -> only the 'Files from a backup made on a different computer.' is
enabled and already has a tick in the radio button -> 'Next' -> 'Looking for
backup devices...' -> I select B: drive -> 'Next' -> and it tells me "Windows
was not able to find any backup sets on the B:\ Please select a different
location"
I've also tried to use the boot menus repair feature and it doesn't see the
backup sets either...
Please help ...

"Ray" wrote:

> I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and settings
> (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> test restore.
> Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though I
> backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with a
> high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft directly?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Ray

SWOTAR

RE: The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate
I have the same problem... I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext hard
drive... I did a 'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor)
Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this
formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory
defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the
other DELL junk...
Now, I'd like to restore the computer to before the DELL repair... the files
are all still on the B: drive, I can see them there...
However, when I go to 'Restore files' -> 'Advanced restore' -> 'Warning -
Continue' -> only the 'Files from a backup made on a different computer.' is
enabled and already has a tick in the radio button -> 'Next' -> 'Looking for
backup devices...' -> I select B: drive -> and it tells me "Windows cannot
find an backup sets on the selected device"

"Ray" wrote:

> I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and settings
> (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> test restore.
> Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though I
> backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with a
> high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft directly?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Ray

kewl1

"Ray" wrote:

> I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and settings
> (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> test restore.
> Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though I
> backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with a
> high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft directly?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Ray

kewl1

RE: The latest Backup set cannot be found error in Vista Ultimate
I am really getting scared now. I have the same problem on my HP. Full
backup on a seperate internal drive that Vista does not see after HP got me
to reinstall Vista. My whole life is in there, pictures videos etc. Can
someone from MS please tell us all what to do?

"Ray" wrote:

> I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and settings
> (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> test restore.
> Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though I
> backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with a
> high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft directly?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Ray

danix803

(SOLUTION) The latest Backup set cannot be found in Vista Ultimate
I called MS about the problem. I was so frustrated after calling DELL and
posting my Vista Ultimate backup nightmares all over the internet.
I decided to call the MS help line. I was willing to pay $59.00 of my hard
earned dollars to have someone figure this out for me.
That didn't work either. They connected me to someone named Ashish
(1057602498). He told me that MS does not support Vista Ultimate Complete PC
backup.
However, he said that he would try to help me anyway. In order for him to
help me I had to move backup set from my C: drive back to my ext backup HD
(B: drive).
This was going to take over 45 mins. I told him that I would have to call
him back, because I was not going to wait on the phone for 45 mins with
nothing to do.
He said okay and we disconnected.
The file finished moving over. I figured that before I called him back I
would try one more experiment. I did one more complete PC backup,
so that I could compare the two backup sets.
This is the part that you are NOT going to believe. When I compared the two
backup sets all the files were in different locations. My first backup set
had NO,
that rights ZERO, files in the computer's name folder.
I rearranged all the files from the first backup set in the identical
pattern of that established by the second backup set. I rebooted the comptuer
and BANG,
CRASH, BOOM... F8 -> repair system -> complete system restore... it found
the backup sets...

My new moot question is... why would MS Vista Ultimate put my very first
backup set into the wrong folders??? I mean none of them were in the right
places...
and all I did was drag them (entirely in the thier folders) from one drive
to another... I never moved any of them individually...
Second moot question... MS told me that DELL signed an agreement with them
stating that they would provide all the technical support for the products
that they bought from them, aka Vista... so, why doesn't DELL provide
technical support or any support for Vista Ultimate backup and restore???
Isn't that breaking thier agreement??? Why doesn't either of these companies
offer support for this product??? or at least why are they telling me that
they don't???

My opinion: I believe that MS designed thier Complete Backup program to
randomly malfunction, simply putting all the files into the wrong folder.
Then that random person would have to contact MS and pay through the nose to
get it fixed. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
--
Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or
proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. 1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8, 13

"kewl1" wrote:

> I am really getting scared now. I have the same problem on my HP. Full
> backup on a seperate internal drive that Vista does not see after HP got me
> to reinstall Vista. My whole life is in there, pictures videos etc. Can
> someone from MS please tell us all what to do?
>
> "Ray" wrote:
>
> > I have just wasted 20 hours between 2 days trying to get my system
> > restored.Once I had reinstalled vista and "ALL" of my programs and settings
> > (4 hours total) and backed up to my external 120 GB USN Drive I then ran a
> > test restore.
> > Got the same error message,"No Backup image cannot be found,' even though I
> > backed it up to the root of G: which is my external USB drive, and that is
> > where I am pointing the restore from. Can anyone please help someone with a
> > high level of frustration who does not want to deal with Microsoft directly?
> > Thanks in Advance.
> > Ray

Sherwin

Reply to Danix803
Hi Danix803,

I don't believe this?!? Why in the world would Microsoft do this? They could
kiss my @55 on the $5x charge. It's a bug, they should offer support more
than the original timeframe. I mean, there is a learning curve to this new
OS, especially, there is a crap load of bugs. Overall, great post! Good thing
I checked here. The folks from support would probably checking these
newgroups and look at your posting.

Regards,

Sherwin