vista- slow start up to login screen

TomG

vista- slow start up to login screen
I just purchased this Dell with Vista, I have had it for about 4 months,
everything was working great until a few days ago. When I turn it on it
takes about 4 to 5 minutes to get to the log in screen. Once I'm in
everything works fine, its just the initial power up that is slow. I tried
to restore feature and set it back 4 weeks but to my dismay the problem still
exists. Any suggestions.

Michael Ian Sammels

RE: vista- slow start up to login screen
Try doing a disk cleanup, and a disk degfragmentation.

"TomG" wrote:

> I just purchased this Dell with Vista, I have had it for about 4 months,
> everything was working great until a few days ago. When I turn it on it
> takes about 4 to 5 minutes to get to the log in screen. Once I'm in
> everything works fine, its just the initial power up that is slow. I tried
> to restore feature and set it back 4 weeks but to my dismay the problem still
> exists. Any suggestions.

TomG

RE: vista- slow start up to login screen
I will give this try; thanks for the input

"Michael Ian Sammels" wrote:

> Try doing a disk cleanup, and a disk degfragmentation.
>
> "TomG" wrote:
>
> > I just purchased this Dell with Vista, I have had it for about 4 months,
> > everything was working great until a few days ago. When I turn it on it
> > takes about 4 to 5 minutes to get to the log in screen. Once I'm in
> > everything works fine, its just the initial power up that is slow. I tried
> > to restore feature and set it back 4 weeks but to my dismay the problem still
> > exists. Any suggestions.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: vista- slow start up to login screen
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:02:02 -0800, Michael Ian Sammels
<MichaelIanSammels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Try doing a disk cleanup, and a disk degfragmentation.

Although it certainly can't hurt to do as you suggest, my guess is
that neither will fix what appears to be a sudden dramatic change in
startup time.

TomG, you should consider the possibility of virus or spyware
infection. What anti-malware programs do you run, and are they up to
date?

> "TomG" wrote:
>
> > I just purchased this Dell with Vista, I have had it for about 4 months,
> > everything was working great until a few days ago. When I turn it on it
> > takes about 4 to 5 minutes to get to the log in screen. Once I'm in
> > everything works fine, its just the initial power up that is slow. I tried
> > to restore feature and set it back 4 weeks but to my dismay the problem still
> > exists. Any suggestions.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
TomG

Re: vista- slow start up to login screen
I run Mcafee virus protection and it updates at a regular basis

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:02:02 -0800, Michael Ian Sammels
> <MichaelIanSammels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Try doing a disk cleanup, and a disk degfragmentation.

> Although it certainly can't hurt to do as you suggest, my guess is
> that neither will fix what appears to be a sudden dramatic change in
> startup time.
>
> TomG, you should consider the possibility of virus or spyware
> infection. What anti-malware programs do you run, and are they up to
> date?
>

> > "TomG" wrote:
> >
> > > I just purchased this Dell with Vista, I have had it for about 4 months,
> > > everything was working great until a few days ago. When I turn it on it
> > > takes about 4 to 5 minutes to get to the log in screen. Once I'm in
> > > everything works fine, its just the initial power up that is slow. I tried
> > > to restore feature and set it back 4 weeks but to my dismay the problem still
> > > exists. Any suggestions.
> > >

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: vista- slow start up to login screen
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:25:00 -0800, TomG
<TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I run Mcafee virus protection and it updates at a regular basis

Not sufficient. You also need anti-spyware protection. If you're not
running any, my guess is that your problem is spyware infestation.

I recommend that you begin troubleshooting by going to MVP Malke's
malware removal site at
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware and
following the instructions there.