Windows Vista Power Options

Michael Ian Sammels

Windows Vista Power Options
So I've been having a constant battle with Windows Vista, from the day I got
it:

I leave my laptop on day and night, and during the night when I am not using
it, I like to sleep. Now, as the laptop is a laptop, the monitor cannot be
switched off seperatly, and one of the good things about Windows XP is that
if you set your monitor to turn off after a certain amount of time, it would
actually turn off, so that there is nothing - not even a light on screen.

But in Windows Vista, I was shocked to discover that all the "Turn off
monitor" option did was to fade it out to black, and still have the mouse
showing, and some light.

I cannot close my lid, because my Wireless gets disconnected, and I need it
during the night, so my question to you: Is there anything I can do to turn
it off fully, like XP does? I have tried installing the graphics drivers from
the ATI site, thinking that it have been because I was using WDDM Drivers,
but it was not. Thanks.
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Windows Vista Power Options
Hello,
Open an elevated cmd prompt
Run powercfg -query
This shows the current power scheme that is running and what the status is
for the devices.
Locate the display device or monitor
check what the settings are;
This should tell you what it is set for

Also use powercfg -devicequery and use the s1_supported, s2-supported, etc
options to check which ones the display supports.
This should be able to tell you what options that device supports

Also run powercfg /a to report if anything is limited some of the sleep
options.
Things like bios, drivers or applications may be reported here.
This makes an attempt to see what may be preventing some options from
occurring.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Sammels@discussions.microsoft.com>