Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Microsoft Vista Slow Performance

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2007
Xerocomm
 

Posts: n/a
Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
I am about to scream. I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate Edition on a HP
1.8Ghz Dual Core Turion 64 X2 Processor with 2GB RAM 80GB Hard Drive Laptop.
I use simple applications like Quickbooks 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007 and
Internet Explorer 7. The hard drive is always running and the laptop is the
slowest I have ever used before. When I was using Windows XP Professional SP2
all was well but when I went to Vista all my system performance came to a
screeching halt. Any idea's on how to resolve or speed up my laptop?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2007
Pbb321
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance

Looks like you're like me. Just got this new HP laptop w/ Vista Ulitmate
x64, 2GB ram, Core 2 Duo 2ghz, etc... and it runs like something from
the 90s. Well, what i've found to be helpful are several tweeks that can
be found anywhere. Just google increase vista performance and a whole
slew of pages will come up.

What i've done so far is...

Uninstall HP Crapware

Ready boost seems to work well for me, get a 2gb sd card and you're
set.

Use Diskeeper 2008 - automatic defrag of all drives, increases
performance significantly

Disable unneeded services - admin tools, services, disable what you
don't need i.e. tablet pc services. Don't need it running if you don't
have one.

Anti-virus and Anti-spyware that does not come from HP and does not
slow down the system.

Finally, which you should only do if you know what you're doing is I
did a clean install of vista x64 on my laptop. When i say clean, I mean
with none of the HP crapware installed. Google it and take a stab at it
if you like. don't worry, its legal as you uninstalling the software in
windows, you're just doing it during the system reboot.

After all of this, my laptop seems to be running just fine, like it
should.

Vista is a power hog, and as such, you need the power behind it.
Sometime soon, I'm going to upgrade my HDD to a 7200 RPM and max out my
ram to 4GB and match with ready boost.


--
Pbb321
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
trevor
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
Heres the solution i am going to use since i am in the same boat - just
"downgraded" to a new machine with vista and it is the worst piece of junk
ever!

step 1: throw this piece of junk in the trash.
step 2: go to the apple store and buy a new computer.

pbb321's solution is rididulous!!! no offence to pbb but having to go out
and spend another thousand bucks on a brand new machine just to make the OS
work is insane!!!!

"Pbb321" wrote:

>
> Looks like you're like me. Just got this new HP laptop w/ Vista Ulitmate
> x64, 2GB ram, Core 2 Duo 2ghz, etc... and it runs like something from
> the 90s. Well, what i've found to be helpful are several tweeks that can
> be found anywhere. Just google increase vista performance and a whole
> slew of pages will come up.
>
> What i've done so far is...
>
> Uninstall HP Crapware
>
> Ready boost seems to work well for me, get a 2gb sd card and you're
> set.
>
> Use Diskeeper 2008 - automatic defrag of all drives, increases
> performance significantly
>
> Disable unneeded services - admin tools, services, disable what you
> don't need i.e. tablet pc services. Don't need it running if you don't
> have one.
>
> Anti-virus and Anti-spyware that does not come from HP and does not
> slow down the system.
>
> Finally, which you should only do if you know what you're doing is I
> did a clean install of vista x64 on my laptop. When i say clean, I mean
> with none of the HP crapware installed. Google it and take a stab at it
> if you like. don't worry, its legal as you uninstalling the software in
> windows, you're just doing it during the system reboot.
>
> After all of this, my laptop seems to be running just fine, like it
> should.
>
> Vista is a power hog, and as such, you need the power behind it.
> Sometime soon, I'm going to upgrade my HDD to a 7200 RPM and max out my
> ram to 4GB and match with ready boost.
>
>
> --
> Pbb321
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Pbb321
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance

trevor;543878 Wrote:
> Heres the solution i am going to use since i am in the same boat - just
> "downgraded" to a new machine with vista and it is the worst piece of
> junk
> ever!
>
> step 1: throw this piece of junk in the trash.
> step 2: go to the apple store and buy a new computer.
>
> pbb321's solution is rididulous!!! no offence to pbb but having to go
> out
> and spend another thousand bucks on a brand new machine just to make
> the OS
> work is insane!!!!
>
> "Pbb321" wrote:


For starters, I didn't spend $1000 just to make it work, i spent $5 on
the sd and just bought a new HDD for $45 (Ebay people) so, I don't know
where you got that number from.

Second, I have a mac and a pc, both running vista and leopard and I
like them both equally. Just depends on what your doing. you can get a
mac if you want, but both have their issues. I use my mac for video
editing and my pc for everything else. Mac just doesn't support the
software i need right now.

Besides, you're complaining about my $1000, you're about to spend
upwards of $2500, $1000 of that being for a 1in piece of plastic in the
shape of a piece of fruit! From my experience, i don't think i'd ever
buy a mac again when i can get double the performance for half the
price.

Btw, have you looked at the latest benchmarks? leopard runs faster on a
pc!


--
Pbb321
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
trevor
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
$1000 is a best guess at new HDD and ram upgrade (retail)

I used to balk at the idea of buying a mac because the price was so steep.

But after the last 3 months of wrestling with vista, i am ready to fork out
the dough.

i disabled all the hp crapware, turned off everything i could, but still the
performance of my laptop is horrendous! I work mainly with flash/flex and
photoshop. working with high res photos is unbearable, and the number of
times that flash freezes up on me is unbelievable!!!

i upgraded the ram and the difference in performance was negligible.

my point is the fact that you have to max out your machine to get mediocre
performance out of it is ridiculous.

I was better off with my previous outdated machine with XP Pro

I've been a developer for 10 years now and im not just blowing smoke here.
my experience with vista has really put a sour taste in my mouth and spending
$2500 to switch to apple doesnt seem like such a bad idea. the loss in
productivity is far greater than the extra money that i have to fork out for
an apple.

I may be wrong, ive never been a huge apple fan, but at this point, I'm
willing to try anything to free myself from working on vista...


"Pbb321" wrote:

>
> trevor;543878 Wrote:
> > Heres the solution i am going to use since i am in the same boat - just
> > "downgraded" to a new machine with vista and it is the worst piece of
> > junk
> > ever!
> >
> > step 1: throw this piece of junk in the trash.
> > step 2: go to the apple store and buy a new computer.
> >
> > pbb321's solution is rididulous!!! no offence to pbb but having to go
> > out
> > and spend another thousand bucks on a brand new machine just to make
> > the OS
> > work is insane!!!!
> >
> > "Pbb321" wrote:

>
> For starters, I didn't spend $1000 just to make it work, i spent $5 on
> the sd and just bought a new HDD for $45 (Ebay people) so, I don't know
> where you got that number from.
>
> Second, I have a mac and a pc, both running vista and leopard and I
> like them both equally. Just depends on what your doing. you can get a
> mac if you want, but both have their issues. I use my mac for video
> editing and my pc for everything else. Mac just doesn't support the
> software i need right now.
>
> Besides, you're complaining about my $1000, you're about to spend
> upwards of $2500, $1000 of that being for a 1in piece of plastic in the
> shape of a piece of fruit! From my experience, i don't think i'd ever
> buy a mac again when i can get double the performance for half the
> price.
>
> Btw, have you looked at the latest benchmarks? leopard runs faster on a
> pc!
>
>
> --
> Pbb321
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Corporeal Patronus
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
Ok, i've dont quite a bit of research in this community. Here's the bottom
line....

Vista 32 bit systems has memory issues. 64 bit versions will fix that. IN
this day and age, when you buy a new pc, it's wise to max out your memory and
get a decent speed of a cpu. 1.8 ghz just aint gonna work. You need 2.4ghz
or more to activate the 4mb l2cache. You also need 2 hd's. One hd dedicated
to the paging file and the other for windows and your other needs. I've been
using vista for 3 months now with a 2.4ghz dual core, 4gb 800mhz ram, 2 320gb
sata II hd's.

Sata II has the 16mb buffer, and faster transer rates than the 8mb sata's.
Most laptop sata's come with a 5400 rm sata hd. Make sure you don't have an
under performing hd first. Other than that, your cpu is too low to
effectively run Vista, let alone ultimate, and your under powered in the
other 2 areas, memory and hd.

I hope it helps.


--
If mountain ranges and oceans can be overcome, anything built by man can be
overcome. - General Patton


"Xerocomm" wrote:

> I am about to scream. I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate Edition on a HP
> 1.8Ghz Dual Core Turion 64 X2 Processor with 2GB RAM 80GB Hard Drive Laptop.
> I use simple applications like Quickbooks 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007 and
> Internet Explorer 7. The hard drive is always running and the laptop is the
> slowest I have ever used before. When I was using Windows XP Professional SP2
> all was well but when I went to Vista all my system performance came to a
> screeching halt. Any idea's on how to resolve or speed up my laptop?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Pbb321
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance

trevor;543931 Wrote:
> $1000 is a best guess at new HDD and ram upgrade (retail)
>
> I used to balk at the idea of buying a mac because the price was so
> steep.
>
> But after the last 3 months of wrestling with vista, i am ready to fork
> out
> the dough.
>
> i disabled all the hp crapware, turned off everything i could, but
> still the
> performance of my laptop is horrendous! I work mainly with flash/flex
> and
> photoshop. working with high res photos is unbearable, and the number
> of
> times that flash freezes up on me is unbelievable!!!
>
> i upgraded the ram and the difference in performance was negligible.
>
> my point is the fact that you have to max out your machine to get
> mediocre
> performance out of it is ridiculous.
>
> I was better off with my previous outdated machine with XP Pro
>
> I've been a developer for 10 years now and im not just blowing smoke
> here.
> my experience with vista has really put a sour taste in my mouth and
> spending
> $2500 to switch to apple doesnt seem like such a bad idea. the loss in
> productivity is far greater than the extra money that i have to fork
> out for
> an apple.
>
> I may be wrong, ive never been a huge apple fan, but at this point, I'm
> willing to try anything to free myself from working on vista...
>
>
> "Pbb321" wrote:


I will admit, you have a good point. I'm a hardware/software engineer
and I have to say vista is not feasable for people on a budget.
Although, i haven't paid retail for any computer components in years, i
feel that I shouldn't have to spend any more money than i already have
to get the performance that i need. (At the same time, i use a
supercomputer all day so.... I have high standards when i get home i
guess)

I love my mac and my pc, it just depends on what i'm doing. Hell, i
didn't mention it before, but i use the 64 ulitimate and dual boot XP 64
just because some stuff just works better in xp (especially with SP3)

As far as my clean install, i actually got a copy of vista ultimate x64
and transfered my activation to the clean install, the one that boots to
the desktop and the recycle bin, thats all. it made a huge difference.

In the end i will admit, like Xerocomm said, if you really want vista
to perform decently, be prepared to fork out some cash, or build your
own pc.

For me, Apple has not had a good customer service year with the iphone
and the ipod prices. I actually baught a Zune just because it was
upgradeable and had wireless sync and the ipods are notoriously
un-upgradeable. So, if i had to buy a new mac, i would wait until Q2
2008. Thats me though.


--
Pbb321
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
David
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
In Dec 06 I bought a Gateway laptop with similar specs to yours, loaded with
Windows XP, but with a free upgrade to Vista. Frankly, I was disappointed
with how XP ran.

Several months later, I installed the Vista Home Premium upgrade from
Gateway, choosing the option for a clean install. Of course, there was a
companion disc to upgrade the drivers. WOW, what a difference. Everything
was much snappier even with Aero, the gadget bar, etc. Of course, this
Vista installation did not include any crapware or third party software
(except drivers) whatsoever.

Have you tried really cleaning out all of the preloaded garbage?

"Xerocomm" <Xerocomm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B0A79C1B-994C-466D-9C9B-F1F4B699D68A@microsoft.com...
> I am about to scream. I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate Edition on a HP
> 1.8Ghz Dual Core Turion 64 X2 Processor with 2GB RAM 80GB Hard Drive
> Laptop.
> I use simple applications like Quickbooks 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007
> and
> Internet Explorer 7. The hard drive is always running and the laptop is
> the
> slowest I have ever used before. When I was using Windows XP Professional
> SP2
> all was well but when I went to Vista all my system performance came to a
> screeching halt. Any idea's on how to resolve or speed up my laptop?


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
David
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
Are you out of your mind, telling him that he needs a computer with those
specs to run Vista? Maybe the AMD Turian isn't as good as an Intel Core 2
Duo, I don't know, but as for the rest. Bunk.

I have a laptop with a Intel Core 2 Duo (1.67), 2 GB RAM, and a 160 GB ATA-6
HD and it runs Vista Home Premium (with Aero enabled) VERY well.

I don't play games. Video editing is a bit slow, but I only do a little of
that.

I have spent a lot of time on the AMD boards - they are great places to
learn - but I can tell that many of the folks there approach their computer
like a hobby, insisting on the fastest of everything in their box. You
sound like one of them. Most real world computer users don't need anything
like you propose.

Regards,
David

"Corporeal Patronus" <CorporealPatronus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsBCB904D-EADC-43B8-925D-742EEE56363B@microsoft.com...
> Ok, i've dont quite a bit of research in this community. Here's the
> bottom
> line....
>
> Vista 32 bit systems has memory issues. 64 bit versions will fix that.
> IN
> this day and age, when you buy a new pc, it's wise to max out your memory
> and
> get a decent speed of a cpu. 1.8 ghz just aint gonna work. You need
> 2.4ghz
> or more to activate the 4mb l2cache. You also need 2 hd's. One hd
> dedicated
> to the paging file and the other for windows and your other needs. I've
> been
> using vista for 3 months now with a 2.4ghz dual core, 4gb 800mhz ram, 2
> 320gb
> sata II hd's.
>
> Sata II has the 16mb buffer, and faster transer rates than the 8mb sata's.
> Most laptop sata's come with a 5400 rm sata hd. Make sure you don't have
> an
> under performing hd first. Other than that, your cpu is too low to
> effectively run Vista, let alone ultimate, and your under powered in the
> other 2 areas, memory and hd.
>
> I hope it helps.
>
>
> --
> If mountain ranges and oceans can be overcome, anything built by man can
> be
> overcome. - General Patton
>
>
> "Xerocomm" wrote:
>
>> I am about to scream. I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate Edition on a HP
>> 1.8Ghz Dual Core Turion 64 X2 Processor with 2GB RAM 80GB Hard Drive
>> Laptop.
>> I use simple applications like Quickbooks 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007
>> and
>> Internet Explorer 7. The hard drive is always running and the laptop is
>> the
>> slowest I have ever used before. When I was using Windows XP Professional
>> SP2
>> all was well but when I went to Vista all my system performance came to a
>> screeching halt. Any idea's on how to resolve or speed up my laptop?


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Corporeal Patronus
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Microsoft Vista Slow Performance
Look it's not a question of AMD vs Intel. Intel Dual core has far exceeded
performance wise, for the time being.

But a computer is a major investment. Why buy the low end models, just to
upgrade sooner than later? If all you want to do is Email and Internet, then
what you have is perfect for "you". You admit that video editing is slow.
Not everyone is as patient as you are. Besides, he's running Vista ULTIMATE.
Not Home. Ultimate uses way more resources, and services than Home.

As for the Hobby approach.....

Of course it's a hobby. Whether you are emailing, or surfing the net, its a
hobby. No other way to look at it. However, just because you like driving
your Prius, doesn't mean it's gonna outlast our Denali's. It fits you and
your personality. And as long as your happy, that's all that really counts.

--
Fixed fortifications are momuments to the stupidity of man. If mountain
ranges and oceans can be overcome, anything built by man can be overcome. -
General Patton


"David" wrote:

> Are you out of your mind, telling him that he needs a computer with those
> specs to run Vista? Maybe the AMD Turian isn't as good as an Intel Core 2
> Duo, I don't know, but as for the rest. Bunk.
>
> I have a laptop with a Intel Core 2 Duo (1.67), 2 GB RAM, and a 160 GB ATA-6
> HD and it runs Vista Home Premium (with Aero enabled) VERY well.
>
> I don't play games. Video editing is a bit slow, but I only do a little of
> that.
>
> I have spent a lot of time on the AMD boards - they are great places to
> learn - but I can tell that many of the folks there approach their computer
> like a hobby, insisting on the fastest of everything in their box. You
> sound like one of them. Most real world computer users don't need anything
> like you propose.
>
> Regards,
> David
>
> "Corporeal Patronus" <CorporealPatronus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message newsBCB904D-EADC-43B8-925D-742EEE56363B@microsoft.com...
> > Ok, i've dont quite a bit of research in this community. Here's the
> > bottom
> > line....
> >
> > Vista 32 bit systems has memory issues. 64 bit versions will fix that.
> > IN
> > this day and age, when you buy a new pc, it's wise to max out your memory
> > and
> > get a decent speed of a cpu. 1.8 ghz just aint gonna work. You need
> > 2.4ghz
> > or more to activate the 4mb l2cache. You also need 2 hd's. One hd
> > dedicated
> > to the paging file and the other for windows and your other needs. I've
> > been
> > using vista for 3 months now with a 2.4ghz dual core, 4gb 800mhz ram, 2
> > 320gb
> > sata II hd's.
> >
> > Sata II has the 16mb buffer, and faster transer rates than the 8mb sata's.
> > Most laptop sata's come with a 5400 rm sata hd. Make sure you don't have
> > an
> > under performing hd first. Other than that, your cpu is too low to
> > effectively run Vista, let alone ultimate, and your under powered in the
> > other 2 areas, memory and hd.
> >
> > I hope it helps.
> >
> >
> > --
> > If mountain ranges and oceans can be overcome, anything built by man can
> > be
> > overcome. - General Patton
> >
> >
> > "Xerocomm" wrote:
> >
> >> I am about to scream. I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate Edition on a HP
> >> 1.8Ghz Dual Core Turion 64 X2 Processor with 2GB RAM 80GB Hard Drive
> >> Laptop.
> >> I use simple applications like Quickbooks 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007
> >> and
> >> Internet Explorer 7. The hard drive is always running and the laptop is
> >> the
> >> slowest I have ever used before. When I was using Windows XP Professional
> >> SP2
> >> all was well but when I went to Vista all my system performance came to a
> >> screeching halt. Any idea's on how to resolve or speed up my laptop?

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow performance in IE on Vista Steve Grosz microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 9 02-19-2008 02:51
Base Filtering Engine in Vista causing very slow DNS lookups and slow internet performance gtforce@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 3 10-03-2007 09:01
Vista Network Shared Printer -- Slow Performance Dave42 microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 0 09-26-2007 02:32
Vista to Vista Network Printing -- Slow Performance Issue Phil R microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 3 09-15-2007 17:02
SLOW Network performance confirmed by Microsoft boe microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 04-12-2007 16:05




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:39.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120