Windows Vista Cable Internet Connection

Blu

Windows Vista Cable Internet Connection
More often than not, I must shut down the computer 2 or 3 times before I can
connect to the internet. The ICON at the bottom right of the computer may
say: Unidentified Network, Access: Limited Connectivity; or Network Access:
local only; or Network Access: local and internet. The last one, of course,
will allow me access to the internet. What must I do to insure that I have
access to the internet every time I sign on ? Thank you
--
REK
Ralph

Re: Windows Vista Cable Internet Connection
Hi,

I'm not an authority, but having worked with tech support, I have a
suggestion.
It may not solve the problem immediately, but will work with time.

There is a lack of stable communication between your modem and system.
This happens if you changed your IP address, computers on the modem, or a
software problem.

First try: turn (power) off both the computer and modem.
Let both stay off for 3-5 minutes. Then turn on the modem ONLY, and let it
stabilize. (can take 2-5 minutes- watch the pretty lights)
Then turn on the computer, and let it detect the connection. This is called
'power cycling' the system.
If you still have the same reaction, you have either a modem that thinks
you're on the wrong computer, or another software problem.
If it detects OK, create a restore point. You may need to repeat until the
computer grabs these settings, instead of the non-working ones, which the
computer will try to do for a while.

Other than that, turn off IPv6 in Network and Sharing until that protocol
comes into use.

all the best,