internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Edition)

todez

internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Edition)
I tried to install Nero 7 Ultra Edition on my new computer, which has a Vista
operating system. The install failed because I did not note that Nero 7
Ultra Edition was not functional on a Vista system. So, I purchased the
upgrade to the Nero 8 Ultra Edition seeing that it was made for Vista. I
then tried to download Nero 8 Ultra Edition on my computer, but an advisory
appeared saying that I must first uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition. While
Windows Installer was trying to uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition it gave an
error message which read thus: Internal Error. Custom Actions DLL crashed on
last call function 'NeroAg_unregisterComEx'. The installer must now exit.
Crash Thread ID 5252 Current Thread ID 5272.
I called Microsoft and they said that I must contact Nero since it has
something to do with the configuration of their program. I don't believe
that it is with the Nero Program but with Windows Installer. This is where
I am at.
How can I get Nero 7 UE uninstalled from my computer when Windows Installer
will not allow it to be uninstalled?
Another question; Why is Microsoft so greedy that they want to make me pay
another $60 for help with their product that isn't working, after I've
already paid so much to buy their product which isn't working?
Dave

Re: internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Edition)
You might try the Nero 7 Clean Tool
http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-cleantools.html

I had Nero 7.07 installed on my XP computer, and had to uninstall it before
upgrading to Vista.
One of the 7 versions was Vista-compatible, and I used it for a while, until
I upgraded to Ver 8, which works fine.

"todez" <todez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried to install Nero 7 Ultra Edition on my new computer, which has a
> Vista
> operating system. The install failed because I did not note that Nero 7
> Ultra Edition was not functional on a Vista system. So, I purchased the
> upgrade to the Nero 8 Ultra Edition seeing that it was made for Vista. I
> then tried to download Nero 8 Ultra Edition on my computer, but an
> advisory
> appeared saying that I must first uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition. While
> Windows Installer was trying to uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition it gave an
> error message which read thus: Internal Error. Custom Actions DLL crashed
> on
> last call function 'NeroAg_unregisterComEx'. The installer must now exit.
> Crash Thread ID 5252 Current Thread ID 5272.
> I called Microsoft and they said that I must contact Nero since it has
> something to do with the configuration of their program. I don't believe
> that it is with the Nero Program but with Windows Installer. This is
> where
> I am at.
> How can I get Nero 7 UE uninstalled from my computer when Windows
> Installer
> will not allow it to be uninstalled?
> Another question; Why is Microsoft so greedy that they want to make me
> pay
> another $60 for help with their product that isn't working, after I've
> already paid so much to buy their product which isn't working?

todez

Re: internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Editio
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your response.
I followed your suggestion and downloaded the Nero 7 Clean Tool and then
followed their instructions. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I get a window
that states; "Microsoft Register Server has stopped working. A problem
caused the program to stop working. Windows will close the program and
notify you if a solution is available." Apparently nothing is since it gives
me no response. When I hit the exit button the programs starts again and
goes through the same thing. It's in a loop. Any other suggestions? I have
contacted Nero to see what they might think of, but this really sounds like a
Microsoft problem at this point.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

"Dave" wrote:

> You might try the Nero 7 Clean Tool
> http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-cleantools.html
>
> I had Nero 7.07 installed on my XP computer, and had to uninstall it before
> upgrading to Vista.
> One of the 7 versions was Vista-compatible, and I used it for a while, until
> I upgraded to Ver 8, which works fine.
>

> "todez" <todez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I tried to install Nero 7 Ultra Edition on my new computer, which has a
> > Vista
> > operating system. The install failed because I did not note that Nero 7
> > Ultra Edition was not functional on a Vista system. So, I purchased the
> > upgrade to the Nero 8 Ultra Edition seeing that it was made for Vista. I
> > then tried to download Nero 8 Ultra Edition on my computer, but an
> > advisory
> > appeared saying that I must first uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition. While
> > Windows Installer was trying to uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition it gave an
> > error message which read thus: Internal Error. Custom Actions DLL crashed
> > on
> > last call function 'NeroAg_unregisterComEx'. The installer must now exit.
> > Crash Thread ID 5252 Current Thread ID 5272.
> > I called Microsoft and they said that I must contact Nero since it has
> > something to do with the configuration of their program. I don't believe
> > that it is with the Nero Program but with Windows Installer. This is
> > where
> > I am at.
> > How can I get Nero 7 UE uninstalled from my computer when Windows
> > Installer
> > will not allow it to be uninstalled?
> > Another question; Why is Microsoft so greedy that they want to make me
> > pay
> > another $60 for help with their product that isn't working, after I've
> > already paid so much to buy their product which isn't working?

Dave

Re: internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Editio
I found this thread...
a poster named torty said the clean tool was still working in the
background, even though the error message popped up..
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59024

You might also try running the clean tool as administrator...
right-click on the .exe and select "Run as Administrator"

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

> [...]
>> > last call function 'NeroAg_unregisterComEx'. The installer must now
>> > exit.
>> > Crash Thread ID 5252 Current Thread ID 5272.
>> > I called Microsoft and they said that I must contact Nero since it has
>> > something to do with the configuration of their program. I don't
>> > believe
>> > that it is with the Nero Program but with Windows Installer. This is
>> > where
>> > I am at.
>> > How can I get Nero 7 UE uninstalled from my computer when Windows
>> > Installer
>> > will not allow it to be uninstalled?
>> > Another question; Why is Microsoft so greedy that they want to make me
>> > pay
>> > another $60 for help with their product that isn't working, after I've
>> > already paid so much to buy their product which isn't working?

David

Re: internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Edition)
Hi,

I feel your pain; discouraging uninstall issues have plagued me in the past
as well. Earlier versions of Nero 7 were not Vista-compatible and so I
think that it's fair to say that you installed it at your own risk.

Although I like and use Nero, it appears to sink its talons deep into
Windows. I've read comments by some unhappy Nero users who call it
bloatware.

Lower in the thread is a reference to a board in which a user says that he
was able to use the Clean Tool successfully by ignoring the error messages
that popped up. Be patient. When I've used the tool it has taken 30 min or
more to finish, during which nothing appears to be happening.

If this doesn't work, you may be stuck with formatting your HD and
reinstalling Vista.

Good luck.

"todez" <todez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried to install Nero 7 Ultra Edition on my new computer, which has a
> Vista
> operating system. The install failed because I did not note that Nero 7
> Ultra Edition was not functional on a Vista system. So, I purchased the
> upgrade to the Nero 8 Ultra Edition seeing that it was made for Vista. I
> then tried to download Nero 8 Ultra Edition on my computer, but an
> advisory
> appeared saying that I must first uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition. While
> Windows Installer was trying to uninstall Nero 7 Ultra Edition it gave an
> error message which read thus: Internal Error. Custom Actions DLL crashed
> on
> last call function 'NeroAg_unregisterComEx'. The installer must now exit.
> Crash Thread ID 5252 Current Thread ID 5272.
> I called Microsoft and they said that I must contact Nero since it has
> something to do with the configuration of their program. I don't believe
> that it is with the Nero Program but with Windows Installer. This is
> where
> I am at.
> How can I get Nero 7 UE uninstalled from my computer when Windows
> Installer
> will not allow it to be uninstalled?
> Another question; Why is Microsoft so greedy that they want to make me
> pay
> another $60 for help with their product that isn't working, after I've
> already paid so much to buy their product which isn't working?

todez

Re: internal error when unistalling a program (Nero 7 Ultra Editio
Thank you for that additional info, Dave. I'll give it a try and just ignore
the error messages. I'll try logging in as administrator to do it and I'll
let you know if it's a success. If not, I'll clean the HD and reinstall
Vista.

Thank you once again,

George