Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?

douglas

Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
Is it normal for a boot up to take more than 5 minutes?

When I turn on my computer or restart it goes through the bios fast. Then
it loads drivers in a few seconds. Then I get to the screen with the green
progress bar and copyright. It stays there for about 5 minutes and it seems
like my computer is doing nothing (no hard drive sound at all).

Then I get to the login screen, log in and everything seems fine.

Looking in the boot up logs I have:
BootTime 404705
MainPathBootTime 387705

Removing/disabling startup programs and services or booting in safe mode
doesn't do. It lowers the time by 10-20 seconds.

roy69

Re: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?

You have done a bit of diagnosis which is good.
What is your system set up H/W S/W.
Have you looked in your error logs?
Try and run BOOTVIS, this may tell you what is taking up the time.
It is possible that you have a conflicting program/driver trying to
startup at the same time.
What programs have you got as startup.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
f/fgeorge

Re: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:10:01 -0800, douglas
<douglas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is it normal for a boot up to take more than 5 minutes?
>
>When I turn on my computer or restart it goes through the bios fast. Then
>it loads drivers in a few seconds. Then I get to the screen with the green
>progress bar and copyright. It stays there for about 5 minutes and it seems
>like my computer is doing nothing (no hard drive sound at all).
>
>Then I get to the login screen, log in and everything seems fine.
>
>Looking in the boot up logs I have:
>BootTime 404705
>MainPathBootTime 387705
>
>Removing/disabling startup programs and services or booting in safe mode
>doesn't do. It lowers the time by 10-20 seconds.

How much ram do you have in that machine? If less than 2 gig upgrade
it. Vista is a memory hog and uses lots of memory and harddrive space.
It uses lots more harddrive space if you don't have enough ram,
harddrives are SLOW by comparison.
MyronH

Re: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
I agree that more RAM is always better, but I am running with 1GB (haven't
gotten around to adding more since loading Vista) and am up and working is
under 60 seconds. This seems to be more than a simple "not enough RAM"
problem.
--
Myron

"f/fgeorge" wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:10:01 -0800, douglas
> <douglas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is it normal for a boot up to take more than 5 minutes?
> >
> >When I turn on my computer or restart it goes through the bios fast. Then
> >it loads drivers in a few seconds. Then I get to the screen with the green
> >progress bar and copyright. It stays there for about 5 minutes and it seems
> >like my computer is doing nothing (no hard drive sound at all).
> >
> >Then I get to the login screen, log in and everything seems fine.
> >
> >Looking in the boot up logs I have:
> >BootTime 404705
> >MainPathBootTime 387705
> >
> >Removing/disabling startup programs and services or booting in safe mode
> >doesn't do. It lowers the time by 10-20 seconds.

> How much ram do you have in that machine? If less than 2 gig upgrade
> it. Vista is a memory hog and uses lots of memory and harddrive space.
> It uses lots more harddrive space if you don't have enough ram,
> harddrives are SLOW by comparison.

Michael Walraven

Re: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
Douglas,
A good place to start when looking for startup problems is in the Event
Viewer.
Open Event Viewer
select Custom Views Startup Problems
Those items with the yellow triangle Warning are what to check.

Michael
Vista Home premium

"douglas" <douglas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it normal for a boot up to take more than 5 minutes?
>
> When I turn on my computer or restart it goes through the bios fast. Then
> it loads drivers in a few seconds. Then I get to the screen with the
> green
> progress bar and copyright. It stays there for about 5 minutes and it
> seems
> like my computer is doing nothing (no hard drive sound at all).
>
> Then I get to the login screen, log in and everything seems fine.
>
> Looking in the boot up logs I have:
> BootTime 404705
> MainPathBootTime 387705
>
> Removing/disabling startup programs and services or booting in safe mode
> doesn't do. It lowers the time by 10-20 seconds.

Spirit

Re: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
I would suspect a driver conflict.... remove startup programs AND all
devices you can
and try. Add back in one at a time..... of course update ALL drivers 1st.

"douglas" <douglas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it normal for a boot up to take more than 5 minutes?
>
> When I turn on my computer or restart it goes through the bios fast. Then
> it loads drivers in a few seconds. Then I get to the screen with the
> green
> progress bar and copyright. It stays there for about 5 minutes and it
> seems
> like my computer is doing nothing (no hard drive sound at all).
>
> Then I get to the login screen, log in and everything seems fine.
>
> Looking in the boot up logs I have:
> BootTime 404705
> MainPathBootTime 387705
>
> Removing/disabling startup programs and services or booting in safe mode
> doesn't do. It lowers the time by 10-20 seconds.

douglas

RE: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
What is BOOTVIS? I found a bootvis for XP but it does not work on Vista?

In my event logs there's about a 5-6 minute gap in events. After booting up
the last event I get is:
Log Name: System
Source: Tcpip
Date: 12/12/2007 9:40:43 PM
Event ID: 4201
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The system detected that network adapter Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 was
connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

Then:
Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-WHEA
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-WHEA
Date: 12/12/2007 9:45:51 PM
Event ID: 5
Task Category: None
Level: Information
WHEA successfully initialized.
4 error sources are active
Error record format version is 10.

Then I get an error:
Log Name: System
Source: atikmdag
Date: 12/12/2007 9:46:05 PM
Event ID: 45062
Task Category: CRT
Level: Error
CRT invalid display type

I'm looking for information on that error now and I will try disabling all
my devices.

My hardware is:
Intel 875P chipset
Radeon 9800 pro
Creative Audigy 2
2 GB RAM

There are some startup warnings but they usually add up to less than 30
seconds total (they are usually 2 seconds total) and the warnings are always
different.

I don't have any software installed except Vista and drivers. Starting up
in Safe mode is about the same in slowness.
roy69

Re: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?

Re-install your gfx drivers for your card direct from the cd it came
with. This may solve part of your problem.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
trevor

RE: Boot up takes more than 5 minutes?
dude theres no solution. Ive been suffering with vista for 3 months now and
its just a slow piece of garbage! I rue the day i "upgraded" my machine.

I'm ready to trash my machine and buy an overpriced apple if it means better
performance and less application crashes.