Vista won't keep restore points

Carl G

Vista won't keep restore points
Hi Guys
I have Vista Home Premium. I have noticed a while ago that vista will not
keep any restore points.
I can look now and it has only one point from system check.
If I install anything it will make a restore point. If I uninstall it will
make the restore point.
When I look a couple days later they are all gone.
This has been going on for months now. What would the problem apear to be ?
Thanks

--
Carl G

Axel Göller

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
Carl G typed:
> Hi Guys
> I have Vista Home Premium. I have noticed a while ago that vista
> will not keep any restore points.
> I can look now and it has only one point from system check.
> If I install anything it will make a restore point. If I uninstall it
> will make the restore point.
> When I look a couple days later they are all gone.
> This has been going on for months now. What would the problem apear
> to be ? Thanks

Do you run Windows XP also on the very same PC?
Axel
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
Hi,

Are you enabling the option to view additional points?
Are you dual booting with XP?
Have you adjusted the storage size?
Is there sufficient free space on the drive?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi Guys
> I have Vista Home Premium. I have noticed a while ago that vista will not
> keep any restore points.
> I can look now and it has only one point from system check.
> If I install anything it will make a restore point. If I uninstall it will
> make the restore point.
> When I look a couple days later they are all gone.
> This has been going on for months now. What would the problem apear to be
> ?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G

Carl G

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
Thanks for the response guys.
I have 50 gig free on the drive , I have not made any changes to the store
size , I don't dual boot , but I have XP Home on a separate drive ,
which I boot to on startup using the Bios boot menue.
I do not get an option to show all points. The only buttons that show are ,
back next cancel.
I have had Vista since it came out and only once have noticed the show all
restore points button.
This morning I only have one restore point listed , which was created last
night just before shut down.
Do you think it could be deleteing them at shutdown or startup ?
Thanks

--
Carl G

> Hi,
>
> Are you enabling the option to view additional points?
> Are you dual booting with XP?
> Have you adjusted the storage size?
> Is there sufficient free space on the drive?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys
>> I have Vista Home Premium. I have noticed a while ago that vista will
>> not keep any restore points.
>> I can look now and it has only one point from system check.
>> If I install anything it will make a restore point. If I uninstall it
>> will make the restore point.
>> When I look a couple days later they are all gone.
>> This has been going on for months now. What would the problem apear to be
>> ?
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Carl G

Julsie

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
What is the significance of running XP on same computer?
I do and also have option to boot into "old version" or Vista when I reboot.
What must one do to avoid the backups being deleted. I also have a lot of
free space. Running vista business and only occassionally boot into XP

"Axel Göller" wrote:

> Carl G typed:
> > Hi Guys
> > I have Vista Home Premium. I have noticed a while ago that vista
> > will not keep any restore points.
> > I can look now and it has only one point from system check.
> > If I install anything it will make a restore point. If I uninstall it
> > will make the restore point.
> > When I look a couple days later they are all gone.
> > This has been going on for months now. What would the problem apear
> > to be ? Thanks

> Do you run Windows XP also on the very same PC?
> Axel

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
Hi,

It's a known issue with booting XP and Vista on the same system. If the
Vista system volume is visible to XP when XP is booted, then XP will erase
any restore points on that Vista volume. You can read about it here:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

--

> Thanks for the response guys.
> I have 50 gig free on the drive , I have not made any changes to the
> store size , I don't dual boot , but I have XP Home on a separate drive ,
> which I boot to on startup using the Bios boot menue.
> I do not get an option to show all points. The only buttons that show are
> , back next cancel.
> I have had Vista since it came out and only once have noticed the show
> all restore points button.
> This morning I only have one restore point listed , which was created last
> night just before shut down.
> Do you think it could be deleteing them at shutdown or startup ?
> Thanks
>

> --
> Carl G

>> Hi,
>>
>> Are you enabling the option to view additional points?
>> Are you dual booting with XP?
>> Have you adjusted the storage size?
>> Is there sufficient free space on the drive?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi Guys
>>> I have Vista Home Premium. I have noticed a while ago that vista will
>>> not keep any restore points.
>>> I can look now and it has only one point from system check.
>>> If I install anything it will make a restore point. If I uninstall it
>>> will make the restore point.
>>> When I look a couple days later they are all gone.
>>> This has been going on for months now. What would the problem apear to
>>> be ?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
Does that mean that if I have both operating systems on separate
independent hard drives with the boot files each on that spacefic drive it
is stil figured as dual booting ?
I totally disconected one hard drive when I installed the OP system on the
other.
One shouldn't know the other is present that way would it ?
Thanks

--
Carl G

> Hi,
>
> It's a known issue with booting XP and Vista on the same system. If the
> Vista system volume is visible to XP when XP is booted, then XP will erase
> any restore points on that Vista volume. You can read about it here:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the response guys.
>> I have 50 gig free on the drive , I have not made any changes to the
>> store size , I don't dual boot , but I have XP Home on a separate drive ,
>> which I boot to on startup using the Bios boot menue.
>> I do not get an option to show all points. The only buttons that show are
>> , back next cancel.
>> I have had Vista since it came out and only once have noticed the show
>> all restore points button.
>> This morning I only have one restore point listed , which was created
>> last night just before shut down.
>> Do you think it could be deleteing them at shutdown or startup ?
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> Carl G
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Are you enabling the option to view additional points?
>>> Are you dual booting with XP?
>>> Have you adjusted the storage size?
>>> Is there sufficient free space on the drive?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
Hi,

Yes, it's still a dual boot. If the volume is visible under XP when XP is
booted, it will be affected regardless of whether or not it was connected
during installation or if it is monitored by XP's version of System Restore.
The only way that volume would not be affected is if it is hidden from XP
through the use of a third party boot manager.

--

> Does that mean that if I have both operating systems on separate
> independent hard drives with the boot files each on that spacefic drive it
> is stil figured as dual booting ?
> I totally disconected one hard drive when I installed the OP system on the
> other.
> One shouldn't know the other is present that way would it ?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G

>> Hi,
>>
>> It's a known issue with booting XP and Vista on the same system. If the
>> Vista system volume is visible to XP when XP is booted, then XP will
>> erase any restore points on that Vista volume. You can read about it
>> here: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the response guys.
>>> I have 50 gig free on the drive , I have not made any changes to the
>>> store size , I don't dual boot , but I have XP Home on a separate drive
>>> ,
>>> which I boot to on startup using the Bios boot menue.
>>> I do not get an option to show all points. The only buttons that show
>>> are , back next cancel.
>>> I have had Vista since it came out and only once have noticed the show
>>> all restore points button.
>>> This morning I only have one restore point listed , which was created
>>> last night just before shut down.
>>> Do you think it could be deleteing them at shutdown or startup ?
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> --
>>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: Vista won't keep restore points
OK thanks Rick.

--
Carl G

> Hi,
>
> Yes, it's still a dual boot. If the volume is visible under XP when XP is
> booted, it will be affected regardless of whether or not it was connected
> during installation or if it is monitored by XP's version of System
> Restore. The only way that volume would not be affected is if it is hidden
> from XP through the use of a third party boot manager.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Does that mean that if I have both operating systems on separate
>> independent hard drives with the boot files each on that spacefic drive
>> it is stil figured as dual booting ?
>> I totally disconected one hard drive when I installed the OP system on
>> the other.
>> One shouldn't know the other is present that way would it ?
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It's a known issue with booting XP and Vista on the same system. If the
>>> Vista system volume is visible to XP when XP is booted, then XP will
>>> erase any restore points on that Vista volume. You can read about it
>>> here: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Kusanagi_san

Re: Vista won't keep restore points

or you could just use bitlocker to encrypt the partition or hard drive
where vista is installed, that way xp wont be able to delete the restore
points of vista, however you'll have to use a usb drive (flash drive
like u3 etc...) to boot into vista.

--
Kusanagi_san