System Restore error

Eric the Grey

System Restore error
I've had a bit of problem with my system after installing what my have been a
bad piece of software. I've uninstalled it in safe mode, and managed to get
back into my system, but when I first attempted to use the system restore (in
safe mode) it would not run. It will not run now either.

When I launch it from the start menu, I get the following error:

There was an unexpected error:

The Filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
(0x8007007B)

System Restore will now close.

All my drives are operating (there are 4 physical hard drives) normally, and
I've even attempted to run system restore with my (occasionally powered on)
USB drive attached and running. This drive is used for the sole purpose of
backing up data and normally is powered off.

Any ideas what the problem could be and how it can be fixed? Windows
problem management has not chosen to report the problem for me.

Additional: Before submitting this, I looked through the event viewer, and
now see that there have been numerous failures at creating a restore points
over the past several months, and even a few failures back when I first built
this machine. This may be a bigger problem, if it has never worked
properly...

Eric the Grey
genfry

RE: System Restore error
errore simile nel mio Vista Premium, non vedo più il CD / DVD ho tentato il
ripristino da un punto di ripristino valido ma non c'è, il restore nno è
possibile il sistema mi restituisce " X errore imprevisto: la sintassi del
nome file, della directory o nel volume è incorretta (0x8007007B) Ripristino
configurazione di sistema verr* chiuso.
mi sembra che il problema di, perdita CD/DVD e lentezza generale del
sistema, si sia generato dopo una ricostruzione del disco, il mio PC ha 2
dischi da 320GB in Raid 1.

c'è qualuno che sa darmi una mano?.... grazie, ilproblema mi sembra simile a
quello sotto.

genfry

"Eric the Grey" wrote:

> I've had a bit of problem with my system after installing what my have been a
> bad piece of software. I've uninstalled it in safe mode, and managed to get
> back into my system, but when I first attempted to use the system restore (in
> safe mode) it would not run. It will not run now either.
>
> When I launch it from the start menu, I get the following error:
>
> ================================================== =
> There was an unexpected error:
>
> The Filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> (0x8007007B)
>
> System Restore will now close.
> ================================================== ==
>
> All my drives are operating (there are 4 physical hard drives) normally, and
> I've even attempted to run system restore with my (occasionally powered on)
> USB drive attached and running. This drive is used for the sole purpose of
> backing up data and normally is powered off.
>
> Any ideas what the problem could be and how it can be fixed? Windows
> problem management has not chosen to report the problem for me.
>
> Additional: Before submitting this, I looked through the event viewer, and
> now see that there have been numerous failures at creating a restore points
> over the past several months, and even a few failures back when I first built
> this machine. This may be a bigger problem, if it has never worked
> properly...
>

> Eric the Grey

DrWodka

Re: System Restore error

genfry;549299 Wrote:
> errore simile nel mio Vista Premium, non vedo più il CD / DVD ho
> tentato il
> ripristino da un punto di ripristino valido ma non c'è, il restore nno
> possibile il sistema mi restituisce " X errore imprevisto: la sintassi
> del
> nome file, della directory o nel volume è incorretta (0x8007007B)
> Ripristino
> configurazione di sistema verr* chiuso.
> mi sembra che il problema di, perdita CD/DVD e lentezza generale del
> sistema, si sia generato dopo una ricostruzione del disco, il mio PC
> ha 2
> dischi da 320GB in Raid 1.
>
> c'è qualuno che sa darmi una mano?.... grazie, ilproblema mi sembra
> simile a
> quello sotto.
>
> genfry
>
> "Eric the Grey" wrote:
> > > >
> > > I've had a bit of problem with my system after installing what my

> > have been a
> > > bad piece of software. I've uninstalled it in safe mode, and managed

> > to get
> > > back into my system, but when I first attempted to use the system

> > restore (in
> > > safe mode) it would not run. It will not run now either.
> > >
> > > When I launch it from the start menu, I get the following error:
> > >
> > > ================================================== =
> > > There was an unexpected error:
> > >
> > > The Filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> > > (0x8007007B)
> > >
> > > System Restore will now close.
> > > ================================================== ==
> > >
> > > All my drives are operating (there are 4 physical hard drives)

> > normally, and
> > > I've even attempted to run system restore with my (occasionally

> > powered on)
> > > USB drive attached and running. This drive is used for the sole

> > purpose of
> > > backing up data and normally is powered off.
> > >
> > > Any ideas what the problem could be and how it can be fixed?

> > Windows
> > > problem management has not chosen to report the problem for me.
> > >
> > > Additional: Before submitting this, I looked through the event

> > viewer, and
> > > now see that there have been numerous failures at creating a restore

> > points
> > > over the past several months, and even a few failures back when I

> > first built
> > > this machine. This may be a bigger problem, if it has never worked
> > > properly...
> > >

> > > Eric the Grey > >

Hey I had the very same problem. Here's what you do. First of all get
the thought out of your mind that your PC is messed up. Lol. That helps.
Now, right click computer and go to properties. From here go to "System
Protection" (upper left). In this window you will notice a section
showing your available disks. If you have 2 hard drives 1 would be
"Recovery" and the other would be "Windows". If you have 1 hard drive,
my guess would be that it's split in 2. So you would have 1 part as
"Recovery" and the other as "Windows". Whatever the case, you should
check the box next to your "Windows" disk and leave the "Recovery"
*_unchecked_*. After which your system restore will be enabled to your
"Windows" disk. Feel free to create a restore point at that time. It
wouldn't hurt. Hopefully that solves your problem.

--
DrWodka