Raid Controller Complete PC Backup BEWARE

Insulted_by_Microsoft

Raid Controller Complete PC Backup BEWARE
I have a recently installed copy of Windows Vista x64 that I installed on an
aBit motherboard which uses the latest IX-38 Intel chipset and an Intel 82801
raid controller. I have setup four 500Gb drives in a RAID10 configuration
with two partitions. I had made a Complete PC backup on 12-5 and another on
12-7, both of which completed according to the windows dialog boxes. Upon
trying to restore I am only able to see a 12-5 backup set on my external USB
drive, but when I drill down into the folders my XML and VHD files are all
dated 12-7 and if I open the VHD file with Virtual PC or WinImage it shows
files that were installed on 12-7 so it is indeed a 12-7 image file, but upon
performing two complete restores it only restores my 12-5 image which
frankly, I can't find on my USB drive.

So trying to call Microsoft support for the first time EVER. Don't waste
your time. I was on the phone with a gentlemen for an hour who kept coming
back and saying that he needed another 5 minutes to research my problem. I
appreciate him notifying me of his need to continuously research this
problem, but then after over an hour I am told that I will need to be
transferred to Pro level support as I am running a RAID controller. Upon
beginning a conversation with Pro level support they inform me that because I
am using a RAID controller, I will need to pay $250 for the call. Did I miss
something in the setup screen that informed me that since I was using a RAID
controller, that I should expect to pay over 2/3 the price of the OS for a
support call. I am going to load Linux and VMWare and run this OS within
VMWare. Seems to be a crappy way to run the latest and greatest from the
world's largest software company on a platform that is with the worlds
largest chip manufacturer's chipset. Hope nobody has an nVidia, Promise or
other brand RAID controllers because if they charge $250 for Intel, you can
guarantee they will want more. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. Vista
RAID installs are not supported???

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance
Chris Blunt

Re: Raid Controller Complete PC Backup BEWARE
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:54:22 -0800, Insulted_by_Microsoft
<Insulted_by_Microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote:

>I have a recently installed copy of Windows Vista x64 that I installed on an
>aBit motherboard which uses the latest IX-38 Intel chipset and an Intel 82801
>raid controller. I have setup four 500Gb drives in a RAID10 configuration
>with two partitions. I had made a Complete PC backup on 12-5 and another on
>12-7, both of which completed according to the windows dialog boxes. Upon
>trying to restore I am only able to see a 12-5 backup set on my external USB
>drive, but when I drill down into the folders my XML and VHD files are all
>dated 12-7 and if I open the VHD file with Virtual PC or WinImage it shows
>files that were installed on 12-7 so it is indeed a 12-7 image file, but upon
>performing two complete restores it only restores my 12-5 image which
>frankly, I can't find on my USB drive.
>
>So trying to call Microsoft support for the first time EVER. Don't waste
>your time. I was on the phone with a gentlemen for an hour who kept coming
>back and saying that he needed another 5 minutes to research my problem. I
>appreciate him notifying me of his need to continuously research this
>problem, but then after over an hour I am told that I will need to be
>transferred to Pro level support as I am running a RAID controller. Upon
>beginning a conversation with Pro level support they inform me that because I
>am using a RAID controller, I will need to pay $250 for the call. Did I miss
>something in the setup screen that informed me that since I was using a RAID
>controller, that I should expect to pay over 2/3 the price of the OS for a
>support call. I am going to load Linux and VMWare and run this OS within
>VMWare. Seems to be a crappy way to run the latest and greatest from the
>world's largest software company on a platform that is with the worlds
>largest chip manufacturer's chipset. Hope nobody has an nVidia, Promise or
>other brand RAID controllers because if they charge $250 for Intel, you can
>guarantee they will want more. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. Vista
>RAID installs are not supported???

I know this doesn't help you, but I have done a complete backup and
restore of a Vista system on a machine with RAID drives, so it will
certainly work with some configurations.

I'm running 32-bit Vista Ultimate and my two drives are running as a
mirrored array on an Nvidia 680i SLI motherboard. I'm using Acronis
True Image for the backups.

Chris