Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU

allie181

Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
For the past 2 days my computer has been running really slow and keeps 'not
responding'. I checked task manager and it showed that Google Desktop was
using 50% of my CPU and dllhost.exe was using the other 50%. I've closed
Google Desktop. I have also ended the dllhost.exe process. However, I read
somewhere that dllhost.exe should be left running.

(1) Should dllhost.exe be left running?
(2) If I start dllhost.exe up again, what can I do to stop it using 50% of
my CPU?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Rick Rogers

Re: Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
Hi,

Yes, dllhost.exe should be left running and actually, if you choose to show
processes from all users, you'll see that there are likely 4-5 instances of
it. Disable google desktop to see if the errant behavior stops, I'm betting
it does as this (excessive cpu use) is a known issue with this bit of
software.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"allie181" <allie181@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the past 2 days my computer has been running really slow and keeps
> 'not
> responding'. I checked task manager and it showed that Google Desktop was
> using 50% of my CPU and dllhost.exe was using the other 50%. I've closed
> Google Desktop. I have also ended the dllhost.exe process. However, I
> read
> somewhere that dllhost.exe should be left running.
>
> (1) Should dllhost.exe be left running?
> (2) If I start dllhost.exe up again, what can I do to stop it using 50% of
> my CPU?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

allie181

Re: Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

I disabled Google Desktop and restarted my computer but the problem happened
again. I disabled dllhost.exe again to see what would happen and then
windows explorer began using 100% of my CPU when no programs were open and I
wasn't doing anything on my computer ?!?! Would you happen to have any other
suggestions?

Thanks :-)

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, dllhost.exe should be left running and actually, if you choose to show
> processes from all users, you'll see that there are likely 4-5 instances of
> it. Disable google desktop to see if the errant behavior stops, I'm betting
> it does as this (excessive cpu use) is a known issue with this bit of
> software.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "allie181" <allie181@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For the past 2 days my computer has been running really slow and keeps
> > 'not
> > responding'. I checked task manager and it showed that Google Desktop was
> > using 50% of my CPU and dllhost.exe was using the other 50%. I've closed
> > Google Desktop. I have also ended the dllhost.exe process. However, I
> > read
> > somewhere that dllhost.exe should be left running.
> >
> > (1) Should dllhost.exe be left running?
> > (2) If I start dllhost.exe up again, what can I do to stop it using 50% of
> > my CPU?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rick Rogers

Re: Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
Hi,

Scanned for ad/spyware and viruses with up to date software in Safe mode
yet?

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I disabled Google Desktop and restarted my computer but the problem
> happened
> again. I disabled dllhost.exe again to see what would happen and then
> windows explorer began using 100% of my CPU when no programs were open and
> wasn't doing anything on my computer ?!?! Would you happen to have any
> other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, dllhost.exe should be left running and actually, if you choose to
>> show
>> processes from all users, you'll see that there are likely 4-5 instances
>> of
>> it. Disable google desktop to see if the errant behavior stops, I'm
>> betting
>> it does as this (excessive cpu use) is a known issue with this bit of
>> software.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "allie181" <allie181@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > For the past 2 days my computer has been running really slow and keeps
>> > 'not
>> > responding'. I checked task manager and it showed that Google Desktop
>> > was
>> > using 50% of my CPU and dllhost.exe was using the other 50%. I've
>> > closed
>> > Google Desktop. I have also ended the dllhost.exe process. However, I
>> > read
>> > somewhere that dllhost.exe should be left running.
>> >
>> > (1) Should dllhost.exe be left running?
>> > (2) If I start dllhost.exe up again, what can I do to stop it using 50%
>> > of
>> > my CPU?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

allie181

Re: Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
Hi Rick,

I tried scanning for viruses using AVG anti-virus but it was so slow that I
cancelled it. If I try it in safe mode will I avoid that problem? (I access
the safe mode by pressing that F.. button when the computer is starting up -
correct?)

I haven't scanned for spyware, so I'll install AVG anti-spyware when I get
home from work (in about 7 hours time - very annoying because I want to do it
now!) and do a scan. I'll report back when I've done it.

Thanks so much for your help.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Scanned for ad/spyware and viruses with up to date software in Safe mode
> yet?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "allie181" <allie181@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I disabled Google Desktop and restarted my computer but the problem
> > happened
> > again. I disabled dllhost.exe again to see what would happen and then
> > windows explorer began using 100% of my CPU when no programs were open and
> > wasn't doing anything on my computer ?!?! Would you happen to have any
> > other
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks :-)
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yes, dllhost.exe should be left running and actually, if you choose to
> >> show
> >> processes from all users, you'll see that there are likely 4-5 instances
> >> of
> >> it. Disable google desktop to see if the errant behavior stops, I'm
> >> betting
> >> it does as this (excessive cpu use) is a known issue with this bit of
> >> software.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Malke

allie181 wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> I tried scanning for viruses using AVG anti-virus but it was so slow that I
> cancelled it. If I try it in safe mode will I avoid that problem? (I access
> the safe mode by pressing that F.. button when the computer is starting up -
> correct?)
>
> I haven't scanned for spyware, so I'll install AVG anti-spyware when I get
> home from work (in about 7 hours time - very annoying because I want to do it
> now!) and do a scan. I'll report back when I've done it.

Since you haven't scanned for malware, instead of installing AVG
Anti-Spyware go through these general malware removal steps
systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to
do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
- download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that
worry you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and
you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool".
You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download
Multi_AV.

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may
be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all
your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
allie181

Re: Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
Hi Rick & Malke, I tried both of your suggestions (although I didn’t use
file hijack – a bit out of my league) but they didn’t work. Thankfully I
have a laptop so I just backed up some of my files onto my external HD and
restored my laptop to factory settings. To prevent this happening again I
don’t think I’ll install any automatic windows or dell updates (other than
Vista SP1 when it comes out) and won’t install any programs other than the
reputable essentials such as Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite. Hopefully that
along with AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware and McAffe will prevent this
happening again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Happy holidays :-)

"Malke" wrote:

> allie181 wrote:
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I tried scanning for viruses using AVG anti-virus but it was so slow that I
> > cancelled it. If I try it in safe mode will I avoid that problem? (I access
> > the safe mode by pressing that F.. button when the computer is starting up -
> > correct?)
> >
> > I haven't scanned for spyware, so I'll install AVG anti-spyware when I get
> > home from work (in about 7 hours time - very annoying because I want to do it
> > now!) and do a scan. I'll report back when I've done it.

> Since you haven't scanned for malware, instead of installing AVG
> Anti-Spyware go through these general malware removal steps
> systematically -
>
> Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to
> do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
> Multi_AV in Vista.
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
> http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
> - download site
>
> The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that
> worry you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and
> you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool".
> You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download
> Multi_AV.
>
> When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
> specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).
>
> Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
> elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
> techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
> infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
> HijackThis forums as suggested.
>
> Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
> shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
> professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
> BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
> are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may
> be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all
> your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

allie181 wrote:
> Hi Rick & Malke, I tried both of your suggestions (although I didn’t use
> file hijack – a bit out of my league) but they didn’t work. Thankfully I
> have a laptop so I just backed up some of my files onto my external HD and
> restored my laptop to factory settings. To prevent this happening again I
> don’t think I’ll install any automatic windows or dell updates (other than
> Vista SP1 when it comes out) and won’t install any programs other than the
> reputable essentials such as Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite. Hopefully that
> along with AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware and McAffe will prevent this
> happening again.

Do not install McAfee! It is garbage. AVG (although I personally prefer
Avast, which is also free) and the Windows Firewall are adequate for
most people. I use Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware on my Windows
machines since I prefer not to have more stuff running in the
background. Set your Windows Updates to download updates and notify you
when they are ready. Then change to Custom install and look at what
updates are there. You should install security updates. Do not install
driver updates.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
allie181

Re: Dllhost.exe using 50% of my CPU
Hi Malke. Thanks for your tips, especially re: updates. I appreciate your
help.

Regards,
Allie