12% more Ram

Dan

12% more Ram
Not all is bad. I display the sidebar Multi Meter gadget that displays both
of my CPU usages (2) and the RAM in real time. I can see instantly what
program hogs push and tangle my system to its limits thus learning how to
avoid App crashes and the like with this new OS. It is one of my best
defenses. I have discovered that of course the ram fills with use and
eventually reflects on performance but also that after I run and close Google
Earth my RAM not only sets itself back to where it was when I started the
computer at the beginning of the day but I get a sweet gift of 12% more Ram
then I ever had. I have not tried to figure it out yet because of the bad
teeth /strong legs horse theory. Anyone with an idea on how that 12% can be
obtained without having to “Google Earth” it? I would appreciate it. –Dan
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: 12% more Ram
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 06:47:01 -0800, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Not all is bad. I display the sidebar Multi Meter gadget that displays both
> of my CPU usages (2) and the RAM in real time. I can see instantly what
> program hogs push and tangle my system to its limits thus learning how to
> avoid App crashes and the like with this new OS. It is one of my best
> defenses. I have discovered that of course the ram fills with use and
> eventually reflects on performance but also that after I run and close Google
> Earth my RAM not only sets itself back to where it was when I started the
> computer at the beginning of the day but I get a sweet gift of 12% more Ram
> then I ever had. I have not tried to figure it out yet because of the bad
> teeth /strong legs horse theory. Anyone with an idea on how that 12% can be
> obtained without having to Google Earth it? I would appreciate it. Dan

Wanting to minimize the amount of memory Windows uses is a
counterproductive desire. Windows is designed to use all, or nearly
all, of your memory, all the time, and that's good not bad. Free
memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't want to see
any of it wasted.

Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all the
time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will use that
part for caching, then give it back when your apps later need it. In
this way Windows keeps all your memory working for you all the time.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: 12% more Ram
The gadget itself uses up processor cycles and RAM. If you want to save on
both, dump the gadget.. :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP

> Not all is bad. I display the sidebar Multi Meter gadget that displays
> both
> of my CPU usages (2) and the RAM in real time. I can see instantly what
> program hogs push and tangle my system to its limits thus learning how to
> avoid App crashes and the like with this new OS. It is one of my best
> defenses. I have discovered that of course the ram fills with use and
> eventually reflects on performance but also that after I run and close
> Google
> Earth my RAM not only sets itself back to where it was when I started the
> computer at the beginning of the day but I get a sweet gift of 12% more
> Ram
> then I ever had. I have not tried to figure it out yet because of the bad
> teeth /strong legs horse theory. Anyone with an idea on how that 12% can
> be
> obtained without having to “Google Earth” it? I would appreciate
> it. –Dan

Dan

Re: 12% more Ram

Thanks Ken, I am truly enlightened. It’s been 7years since my MS core
certification. I took a long needed brake totally out of this realm. Slowly
the cobwebs are clearing. Computer years are the opposite of Dog years. -Dan

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:26:01 -0800, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Ken, I am truly enlightened. Its been 7years since my MS core
> certification. I took a long needed brake totally out of this realm. Slowly
> the cobwebs are clearing. Computer years are the opposite of Dog years. -Dan

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 06:47:01 -0800, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Not all is bad. I display the sidebar Multi Meter gadget that displays both
> > > of my CPU usages (2) and the RAM in real time. I can see instantly what
> > > program hogs push and tangle my system to its limits thus learning how to
> > > avoid App crashes and the like with this new OS. It is one of my best
> > > defenses. I have discovered that of course the ram fills with use and
> > > eventually reflects on performance but also that after I run and close Google
> > > Earth my RAM not only sets itself back to where it was when I started the
> > > computer at the beginning of the day but I get a sweet gift of 12% more Ram
> > > then I ever had. I have not tried to figure it out yet because of the bad
> > > teeth /strong legs horse theory. Anyone with an idea on how that 12% can be
> > > obtained without having to Google Earth it? I would appreciate it. Dan

> > Wanting to minimize the amount of memory Windows uses is a
> > counterproductive desire. Windows is designed to use all, or nearly
> > all, of your memory, all the time, and that's good not bad. Free
> > memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't want to see
> > any of it wasted.
> >
> > Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all the
> > time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will use that
> > part for caching, then give it back when your apps later need it. In
> > this way Windows keeps all your memory working for you all the time.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Dan

Re: 12% more Ram