Photo Gallery Crash

Billellc

Photo Gallery Crash
Photo Gallery will crash after 10 seconds. And says Windows photo has stopped
working. Windows is checking for solution to problem. A problem caused the
program to stop working correctly. Windows will close program and notify you
if a solution is avalible. How and when will they notify me? And what can i
do so i wont loose 300 plus photos?? It was working fine for about 4 months.
Rick Rogers

Re: Photo Gallery Crash
Hi,

Did you install some other software that handles image files? Generally,
this sort of behavior happens as the result of a software conflict or a
corrupted file. Since files aren't as easily corrupted as one might think,
it's usually the former. Also, things like updates to antivirus software
might cause these sorts of issues.

You can check the status of any problem report in the Control Panel under
(guess what?) Problem Reports and Solutions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Billellc" <Billellc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Photo Gallery will crash after 10 seconds. And says Windows photo has
> stopped
> working. Windows is checking for solution to problem. A problem caused the
> program to stop working correctly. Windows will close program and notify
> you
> if a solution is avalible. How and when will they notify me? And what can
> do so i wont loose 300 plus photos?? It was working fine for about 4
> months.

mmfiore is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Photo Gallery Crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rogers View Post
Hi,

Did you install some other software that handles image files? Generally,
this sort of behavior happens as the result of a software conflict or a
corrupted file. Since files aren't as easily corrupted as one might think,
it's usually the former. Also, things like updates to antivirus software
might cause these sorts of issues.

You can check the status of any problem report in the Control Panel under
(guess what?) Problem Reports and Solutions.

--
Best of Luck,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Windows help - Nutcase's Home
My thoughts Life and other stuff

"Billellc" <Billellc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Photo Gallery will crash after 10 seconds. And says Windows photo has
> stopped
> working. Windows is checking for solution to problem. A problem caused the
> program to stop working correctly. Windows will close program and notify
> you
> if a solution is avalible. How and when will they notify me? And what can
> do so i wont loose 300 plus photos?? It was working fine for about 4
> months.

I have the solution to this problem. The photo gallery is also trying to load other media such as movie files etc. If one of those movie files has a bad codec it causes the photo gallery to crash. The only way to prevent is to move any new movie files made with other software that is not windows media compatible off of the PC. Occasionally photo gallery will flag this error and let you choose to ignore the offending file. This will fix the problem as well.

mmfiore is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Photo Gallery Crash
I have the fix for this problem. Photo gallery is crashing because it is also trying to load movie files and one of them is requiring a codec that windows does not recognize. You may ignore this file and it will load. That is if it gives you the choice. If not you will have to remove the offending video file from your PC so that it does not attmpt to load into the system when you start windows photo gallery.

My home page is:
Super Relativity - A Unified Field Theory that Supersedes Quantum Mechanics and String Theory