Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)

tomfridman

Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)
2 out of 3 times it won't shut off. I manually have to accompliah. I tried
getting rid of any extra garbage on my desktop. I have Vista Prmium on HP
Palillion.
Thanks
--
Tomfridman
mathews2010

Re: Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)

seen this for many compaqs...hp...been using hp for awhile before my
custom built comp...tell me the model # and i'll chek it out

--
mathews2010

- ::Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)::
- ::216BW Samsung Widescreen
::
- ::Nvidia 8400 GS::
- ::320 GB Seagate HDD::
- ::2 GB G.Skill (DDR 2 800) (PC2-6400)
::
- ::ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard...::
- ::Vista x64::
tomfridman

Re: Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)
Mathew

This is HP Pavilion Model NO m7790y with wireless mouse/keyboard.
Appreciate your help

Tom
--
Tomfridman

"mathews2010" wrote:

> seen this for many compaqs...hp...been using hp for awhile before my
> custom built comp...tell me the model # and i'll chek it out
>

> --
> mathews2010
>
> - ::Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)::
> - ::216BW Samsung Widescreen
> ::
> - ::Nvidia 8400 GS::
> - ::320 GB Seagate HDD::
> - ::2 GB G.Skill (DDR 2 800) (PC2-6400)
> ::
> - ::ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard...::
> - ::Vista x64::

Malke

tomfridman wrote:
> Mathew
>
> This is HP Pavilion Model NO m7790y with wireless mouse/keyboard.
> Appreciate your help
>
> Tom

The wireless mouse/keyboard drivers could be causing the issue, but see
general shutdown troubleshooting below for more.

*****
Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from
malware or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton
or McAfee). If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it
and replace with a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast
(free). The Windows Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista,
shutdown issues can also be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make
sure all drivers are updated. See Step B. below for general driver
directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave
things as they are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually
want to update their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit
of performance out of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If
you're not one of those people, you don't need to update your drivers if
there are no problems you are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no
Norton or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot
troubleshooting to see which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and
there is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea -
take the machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from
family, friends, colleagues.
*****

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Bob

Re: Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)
Try and create a new desktop icon, with the settings
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /p this may overcome your problem.