Defrag does not work

=?Utf-8?B?YXllamF5MDYwMQ==?=

Defrag does not work
When I go to Defragment drive, it shows the calendar screen. But if I click
on "defrag now", it just hangs. Any thoughts?

Ken Gardner

Re: Defrag does not work
"ayejay0601" <ayejay0601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When I go to Defragment drive, it shows the calendar screen. But if I
> click
> on "defrag now", it just hangs. Any thoughts?

What do you mean by hang? Is it actually defragmenting your hard drive?
What happens exactly?

Ken

Richard Urban

Re: Defrag does not work
There IS no display. The computer defrags in the background. After you press
the "defragment now" button you can close the window. Defrag will run until
it has completed.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"ayejay0601" <ayejay0601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go to Defragment drive, it shows the calendar screen. But if I
> click
> on "defrag now", it just hangs. Any thoughts?

Victoria House [MSFT]

Re: Defrag does not work
If the blue circle is "spinning" it is defragging when you click defragment
now.

You can close the Defrag GUI and defrag will continue until it finishes or
you click "cancel defragmentation " (the defragment now button changes to
this).

If you want proof that its running, use taskmgr and display processes from
all users. Look for defrag.exe and dfrgntfs or dfrgfat.

-Victoria

"ayejay0601" <ayejay0601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go to Defragment drive, it shows the calendar screen. But if I
> click
> on "defrag now", it just hangs. Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?YXllamF5MDYwMQ==?=

Re: Defrag does not work
Ok, I officially feel stupid.

I guess it is defragmenting in the background. I was expecting to see a
screen that showed a graphic of the HD and green and red areas where it was
defraging. To be honest, that was a nice feature...even for amateurs. It
helps us amateurs get an idea of what is going on. Well..my 2 cents, but
pass that info on to the people who make decisions will you? Thanks.

"Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:

> If the blue circle is "spinning" it is defragging when you click defragment
> now.
>
> You can close the Defrag GUI and defrag will continue until it finishes or
> you click "cancel defragmentation " (the defragment now button changes to
> this).
>
> If you want proof that its running, use taskmgr and display processes from
> all users. Look for defrag.exe and dfrgntfs or dfrgfat.
>
> -Victoria
>
> "ayejay0601" <ayejay0601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I go to Defragment drive, it shows the calendar screen. But if I
> > click
> > on "defrag now", it just hangs. Any thoughts?

Rock

Re: Defrag does not work
"ayejay0601" <ayejay0601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Ok, I officially feel stupid.
>
> I guess it is defragmenting in the background. I was expecting to see a
> screen that showed a graphic of the HD and green and red areas where it
> was
> defraging. To be honest, that was a nice feature...even for amateurs. It
> helps us amateurs get an idea of what is going on. Well..my 2 cents, but
> pass that info on to the people who make decisions will you? Thanks.
>

> "Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> If the blue circle is "spinning" it is defragging when you click
>> defragment
>> now.
>>
>> You can close the Defrag GUI and defrag will continue until it finishes
>> or
>> you click "cancel defragmentation " (the defragment now button changes to
>> this).
>>
>> If you want proof that its running, use taskmgr and display processes
>> from
>> all users. Look for defrag.exe and dfrgntfs or dfrgfat.
>>
>> -Victoria
>>
>> "ayejay0601" <ayejay0601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> > When I go to Defragment drive, it shows the calendar screen. But if I
>> > click
>> > on "defrag now", it just hangs. Any thoughts?

This has been discussed extensively. Do some searching on defrag in these
newsgroups to see some of the posts. There is nothing to pass on. The GUI
was removed for one thing because it was not very accurate. For another it
has been designed to be run in the background, with the default time for
running set to be when the computer is not normally used so it is handled
without the user having to spend any effort on it.

If you want to see the colored blocks shake and move purchase one of the 3rd
party defragmenter tools such as Raxco Perfect Disk or Diskeeper, but there
are many better ways to spend your money.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Jayceerice

Re: Defrag does not work
On 2/16/2007 11:26 AM PSTin microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_
maintenance, you responded "If the blue circle is "spinning" it is
defragging..." per copy below. Sorry to ? your response so late but I've only
been using Windows Vista Home Premium, 6.0.6000.16386
(vista_rtm.061101-2205), since 8/2007, on my 1st laptop, with an NTFS file
structure. I've have considerable problems w/hang-ups since December so I was
browsing for others' answers. I've used Windows since the 1st one and worked
up thru most of the Windows OSes on a PC, primarily for home use & only with
FATS, previously.

I've tried many times to defrag with VISTA, from Tools in Properties on my
main drive, only after Error-Checking & restarting, & tried to watch
everything happening, but have never noticed any "blue circle ... "spinning",
"Calendar" or any other signs some people have mentioned this Discussion
Group. From prior practice, after requesting the defrag, as nothing seemed to
be happening, I always restarted, watched the screen and was surprised to see
no mention of defrag. I thought I'd have to start over, wiping my hard drive
& reloading Vista, etc. Finally, I checked DisKeeper after a restart & saw
the % free increased dramatically.

Please tell me where I should see the "blue circle ... "spinning" or if I'm
asking the wrong ?.
--
Jaycee Rice