Recovery (D): What is it?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2xpcHBlcg==?=

Recovery (D): What is it?
Just bought a new computer w. Vista Home Premium. I see there's something on
it called a Recovery (D) drive. I don't understand what it is or how to use
it and couldn't find anything on this is Help and Support. I also have an
external hard drive that I plan to use for backup. It's shown as Drive J:
What's the relationship (if any) between drive D: and drive J:? I thought
that if my system crashed, I would try to recover the data files from my
external hard drive. But if that's right, when/how/for what do I use drive
D:?

Sorry to be so dense.
canixs

Re: Recovery (D): What is it?
it's an operating system image backup drive in case your computer is messed
up and you like to restore your computer back to original state just like
when you first brought the computer home. I suggest you leave it alone.
In order to use it in case your system out of the blue decide not to work or
boot up. Just power it up and there usually be a function for you to choose
if you want to restore your operating system. I don't know what key you
have to press, it's different for each vendor.
"Clipper" <Clipper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new computer w. Vista Home Premium. I see there's something
> on
> it called a Recovery (D) drive. I don't understand what it is or how to
> use
> it and couldn't find anything on this is Help and Support. I also have an
> external hard drive that I plan to use for backup. It's shown as Drive J:
> What's the relationship (if any) between drive D: and drive J:? I thought
> that if my system crashed, I would try to recover the data files from my
> external hard drive. But if that's right, when/how/for what do I use
> drive
> D:?
>
> Sorry to be so dense.

Dustin Harper

Re: Recovery (D): What is it?
The recovery partition is a partition put there by the manufacturer. It has
an image of the way it was when you recieved it. So, if your computer ever
crashes, you can go back to the OS and programs that were there when you
first got it. If you do use it, you lose EVERYTHING that you've saved or
installed. So, it's only used when you really screw up your PC. Or you want
to sell it to someone else.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Clipper" <Clipper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new computer w. Vista Home Premium. I see there's something
> on
> it called a Recovery (D) drive. I don't understand what it is or how to
> use
> it and couldn't find anything on this is Help and Support. I also have an
> external hard drive that I plan to use for backup. It's shown as Drive J:
> What's the relationship (if any) between drive D: and drive J:? I thought
> that if my system crashed, I would try to recover the data files from my
> external hard drive. But if that's right, when/how/for what do I use
> drive
> D:?
>
> Sorry to be so dense.

AJR

Re: Recovery (D): What is it?
Check the documentation. Many OEMs provide an utility to copy the recovery
partition to DVD/CDs.- and to delete the partition of so desired. Generally
you cannot access the recovery partition via explorer..
Again check the documentation - look for OEM manual documentation - for
instructions on recovering the complete image as when purchased or files and
application.

"Clipper" <Clipper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new computer w. Vista Home Premium. I see there's something
> on
> it called a Recovery (D) drive. I don't understand what it is or how to
> use
> it and couldn't find anything on this is Help and Support. I also have an
> external hard drive that I plan to use for backup. It's shown as Drive J:
> What's the relationship (if any) between drive D: and drive J:? I thought
> that if my system crashed, I would try to recover the data files from my
> external hard drive. But if that's right, when/how/for what do I use
> drive
> D:?
>
> Sorry to be so dense.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Recovery (D): What is it?
As others have said -- in addition bear in mind that if the said hard
drive itself crashes then you are SOL so far as recovering is concerned
so as soon as you can make a recovery image of your drive that you can
hopefully use if you have to replace the hard drive.

Rock

Re: Recovery (D): What is it?
"Clipper" <Clipper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Just bought a new computer w. Vista Home Premium. I see there's something
> on
> it called a Recovery (D) drive. I don't understand what it is or how to
> use
> it and couldn't find anything on this is Help and Support. I also have an
> external hard drive that I plan to use for backup. It's shown as Drive J:
> What's the relationship (if any) between drive D: and drive J:? I thought
> that if my system crashed, I would try to recover the data files from my
> external hard drive. But if that's right, when/how/for what do I use
> drive
> D:?

Check the documentation and talk to the computer tech support for how their
recovery mechanism is set up.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]