Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2007
=?Utf-8?B?S2VudC4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.

For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista yet,
but it goes on.

I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype), it
slows down at an incredible rate.

I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have a
system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over a
4.1.

Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the software,
the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?

Thanks for all of your help! Kent.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2007
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
would suspect it is the programs that are not TRULY vista ready.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Kent." <Kent.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:101CC9F9-E34D-43C2-AE0E-2A392D2C2113@microsoft.com...
Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.

For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista yet,
but it goes on.

I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype), it
slows down at an incredible rate.

I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have a
system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over a
4.1.

Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the software,
the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?

Thanks for all of your help! Kent.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2007
Dale White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums

What forums are you searching through ? namely since you said all the other
computers are lower end, then yours. I have a 1.6Ghz Pentium M laptop and it
doesn't run at 100% cpu, so what does lower end have to do with CPU usage ?

Apple said iTunes doesn't support Vista yet. If it installs and runs that's
great, but if it acts crazy, that's probably why they says it's not
supported. Seems simple enough. What does Skype says ?

I have a whole slew of different apps I run, nothing pegs my CPU out or
causes a major slowdown. I believe my laptop scores a 3 at best, and a 1 on
graphics and memory. So if that doesn't get pegged out, I would think your
desktop should be fine. On the higher end, I have a 4800+ system and it's
lowest score is 5.2 on the CPU and Hard drive and 5.9 on everything else.
Needless to say, no CPU maxouts out either.

Have you checked for updated video drivers, motherboard drives, etc etc ?
Unsupported apps, are unsupported for a reason

"Kent." <Kent.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:101CC9F9-E34D-43C2-AE0E-2A392D2C2113@microsoft.com...
> Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
> ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
> little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
>
> For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
> crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista
> yet,
> but it goes on.
>
> I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype),
> it
> slows down at an incredible rate.
>
> I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
> gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have
> a
> system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over
> a
> 4.1.
>
> Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the
> software,
> the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
>
> Thanks for all of your help! Kent.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2007
=?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
well my CPU usage is about 56% and never goes down.

I have 4 years old computer with Window Vista Premium and my CPU usage is
about 56% and never goes down. I'm trying to troubleshoot right now, it might
be a software that is causing it or a bios update is really needed. I will
provide more information in here if i find a way to fix this CPU thingy.


"Kent." wrote:

> Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
> ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
> little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
>
> For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
> crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista yet,
> but it goes on.
>
> I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype), it
> slows down at an incredible rate.
>
> I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
> gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have a
> system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over a
> 4.1.
>
> Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the software,
> the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
>
> Thanks for all of your help! Kent.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
task manager and using the CPU column.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21A2259D-583F-4647-9507-DE00F3BFC157@microsoft.com...
well my CPU usage is about 56% and never goes down.

I have 4 years old computer with Window Vista Premium and my CPU usage is
about 56% and never goes down. I'm trying to troubleshoot right now, it might
be a software that is causing it or a bios update is really needed. I will
provide more information in here if i find a way to fix this CPU thingy.


"Kent." wrote:

> Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
> ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
> little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
>
> For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
> crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista yet,
> but it goes on.
>
> I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype), it
> slows down at an incredible rate.
>
> I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
> gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have a
> system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over a
> 4.1.
>
> Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the software,
> the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
>
> Thanks for all of your help! Kent.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007
Billl
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums

I just read an article about that yesterday I believe. Sorry I didn t
pay close attn because I am not iPod savvy yet. But they mentioned that
iTunes had come out with a fix for problems on Vista. You might try to
check out the iTunes support site. If i run accross the article I ll
post the link. Good Luck


--
Billl
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Billl's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21950
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=679532

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
"Kent." <Kent.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
> ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
> little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
>
> For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
> crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista
> yet,
> but it goes on.
>
> I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype),
> it
> slows down at an incredible rate.
>
> I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
> gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have
> a
> system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over
> a
> 4.1.
>
> Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the
> software,
> the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
>
> Thanks for all of your help! Kent.


It's a problem with your system, it's hardware, the drivers, and the
software, it's not a generic problem in Vista. This system runs fine, at
idle with multiple apps open like multiple tabs in IE, windows mail, Corel
WordPerfect, the CPU use is at 0-10%. When action are performed, CPU use
goes up for a moment, but it doesn't stay high all the time. When indexing
kicks in that ups it a bit too.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007
=?Utf-8?B?S2VudC4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
Well, i'm going to try to update all the drivers I have on my motherboard and
i'll update you all, thanks for the idea, i'll give that a whirl!!!

Kent.

"Rock" wrote:

> "Kent." <Kent.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't find
> > ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are a
> > little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
> >
> > For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
> > crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows Vista
> > yet,
> > but it goes on.
> >
> > I have many applications that when they are opened (for example, Skype),
> > it
> > slows down at an incredible rate.
> >
> > I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
> > gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I have
> > a
> > system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is over
> > a
> > 4.1.
> >
> > Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the
> > software,
> > the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
> >
> > Thanks for all of your help! Kent.

>
> It's a problem with your system, it's hardware, the drivers, and the
> software, it's not a generic problem in Vista. This system runs fine, at
> idle with multiple apps open like multiple tabs in IE, windows mail, Corel
> WordPerfect, the CPU use is at 0-10%. When action are performed, CPU use
> goes up for a moment, but it doesn't stay high all the time. When indexing
> kicks in that ups it a bit too.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007
Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
One thing I just noticed, I run a little program called DUmeter, (aka
download upload meter) shows basic network traffic and is only like a 950kb
file. But under Vista, with nothing else running, I showed my CPU at 21%. I
looked at taskmanager and saw services.exe using about 118% and dumeter.exe
at 3-4%. When I closed DUmeter, I went back to 0-1% usage.

There is no network traffic going on, so I'm not sure why it would be using
any CPU, much less 21%. I'm guessing the way it and vista interacts (hence
the services.xe using 18%) is the problem.

"Kent." <Kent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6109586A-B6ED-46A9-86C8-86D8508D746A@microsoft.com...
> Well, i'm going to try to update all the drivers I have on my motherboard
> and
> i'll update you all, thanks for the idea, i'll give that a whirl!!!
>
> Kent.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Kent." <Kent.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't
>> > find
>> > ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are
>> > a
>> > little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
>> >
>> > For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
>> > crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows
>> > Vista
>> > yet,
>> > but it goes on.
>> >
>> > I have many applications that when they are opened (for example,
>> > Skype),
>> > it
>> > slows down at an incredible rate.
>> >
>> > I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
>> > gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I
>> > have
>> > a
>> > system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is
>> > over
>> > a
>> > 4.1.
>> >
>> > Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the
>> > software,
>> > the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks for all of your help! Kent.

>>
>> It's a problem with your system, it's hardware, the drivers, and the
>> software, it's not a generic problem in Vista. This system runs fine, at
>> idle with multiple apps open like multiple tabs in IE, windows mail,
>> Corel
>> WordPerfect, the CPU use is at 0-10%. When action are performed, CPU use
>> goes up for a moment, but it doesn't stay high all the time. When
>> indexing
>> kicks in that ups it a bit too.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2007
=?Utf-8?B?S2VudC4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU at 100% with Windows Vista, i've read the forums
OK. I'm starting to understand. It's the software for these devices. For
example, while watching a DVD MOVIE there was aboslutely NO PROBLEM. But when
I watched a DIVX Movie, my computer ate up about 60% of the CPU and then it
would fall out of sync with the audio and video, I believe it's due to the
divx codec since it's not made for windows vista.

So I really think it's just that we have to wait and see what's going to
happen when the new software / drivers / codecs come out for Vista, because
as far as I can see, my PC run's REALLY well while staying within windows, on
the internet, chatting on MSN Messenger and within word and office in general,

So maybe your problem Mad_murdock is that that program you're using isn't
intented for windows vista (yet).
Kent.
"Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" wrote:

> One thing I just noticed, I run a little program called DUmeter, (aka
> download upload meter) shows basic network traffic and is only like a 950kb
> file. But under Vista, with nothing else running, I showed my CPU at 21%. I
> looked at taskmanager and saw services.exe using about 118% and dumeter.exe
> at 3-4%. When I closed DUmeter, I went back to 0-1% usage.
>
> There is no network traffic going on, so I'm not sure why it would be using
> any CPU, much less 21%. I'm guessing the way it and vista interacts (hence
> the services.xe using 18%) is the problem.
>
> "Kent." <Kent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6109586A-B6ED-46A9-86C8-86D8508D746A@microsoft.com...
> > Well, i'm going to try to update all the drivers I have on my motherboard
> > and
> > i'll update you all, thanks for the idea, i'll give that a whirl!!!
> >
> > Kent.
> >
> > "Rock" wrote:
> >
> >> "Kent." <Kent.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >>
> >> > Hey everybody, i've searched through the entire forum, and couldn't
> >> > find
> >> > ANYTHING related to my problem. Most of the computers in the forum are
> >> > a
> >> > little bit 'lower end', and I can't relate to them.
> >> >
> >> > For example, whenever I plug in (for example) my iPod, my computer goes
> >> > crazy. It could be the fact that iTunes isn't fully out on Windows
> >> > Vista
> >> > yet,
> >> > but it goes on.
> >> >
> >> > I have many applications that when they are opened (for example,
> >> > Skype),
> >> > it
> >> > slows down at an incredible rate.
> >> >
> >> > I have a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, with a 256 meg Radeon 9800 graphics card, 2
> >> > gigabytes worth of DDR memory, and about 1 terrabyte of HDD space. I
> >> > have
> >> > a
> >> > system score of 3.5, due to the graphics card, but everything else is
> >> > over
> >> > a
> >> > 4.1.
> >> >
> >> > Anyways, my question is that i'm not sure if it's my computer, the
> >> > software,
> >> > the hardware, what can I do? Is ANYONE having this type of problem?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks for all of your help! Kent.
> >>
> >> It's a problem with your system, it's hardware, the drivers, and the
> >> software, it's not a generic problem in Vista. This system runs fine, at
> >> idle with multiple apps open like multiple tabs in IE, windows mail,
> >> Corel
> >> WordPerfect, the CPU use is at 0-10%. When action are performed, CPU use
> >> goes up for a moment, but it doesn't stay high all the time. When
> >> indexing
> >> kicks in that ups it a bit too.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP Can't access Vista Share TedF microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 12 04-30-2010 14:12
Vista backup question for MVPs Malcolm H microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 13 03-02-2007 05:36
Dave Pogue Reviews Vista in the NYT "Vista Wins on Looks. As for lacks..." Chad Harris microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 28 03-01-2007 20:46
Windows Vista WLAN issue =?Utf-8?B?QXRla2lkbw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-24-2007 20:49
Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIERlZXIgVGVjaHk=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 02-07-2007 01:29




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120