Can't install/uninstall anything...says I'm already doing it

=?Utf-8?B?c2VhbiBpbiBkLmMu?=

Can't install/uninstall anything...says I'm already doing it
I am unable to install or uninstall any programs in Windows Vista. If I
attempt to do so, I get the following message:

Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is
complete, and then try installing this software again.

I get this error if I try to install a program using a CD, DVD or download,
and I get this error if I try to uninstall a program from the Control Panel.

I have rebooted several times, yet this problem persists. Any suggestions?
=?Utf-8?B?ZXNjYXJyZ28=?=

RE: Can't install/uninstall anything...says I'm already doing it
I have the same kind of broken installation, and no clue about how to recover.
I was trying to remove an older Cisco VPN client, and (perhaps mistaken) hit
cancel to stop the uninstall to remove it later. Now I can't remove it, and
get the error message you cite. I also cannot "Repair" which gives a similar
error message in a different widget. It really bugs me that there is no way
to explicity resume an installation (which Vista claims needs to be done) and
no way to determine what it is that is being installed. It's a terrible lack
of transparency.

"sean in d.c." wrote:

> I am unable to install or uninstall any programs in Windows Vista. If I
> attempt to do so, I get the following message:
>
> Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is
> complete, and then try installing this software again.
>
> I get this error if I try to install a program using a CD, DVD or download,
> and I get this error if I try to uninstall a program from the Control Panel.
>
> I have rebooted several times, yet this problem persists. Any suggestions?

startingtohatevista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't install/uninstall anything...says I'm already doing it
I am having the same problem, has anyone come up with a solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?ZXNjYXJyZ28=?= View Post

"sean in d.c." wrote:

> I am unable to install or uninstall any programs in Windows Vista. If I
> attempt to do so, I get the following message:
>
> Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is
> complete, and then try installing this software again.
>
> I get this error if I try to install a program using a CD, DVD or download,
> and I get this error if I try to uninstall a program from the Control Panel.
>
> I have rebooted several times, yet this problem persists. Any suggestions?
Richard Urban

Re: Can't install/uninstall anything...says I'm already doing it
"startingtohatevista"
<startingtohatevista.40r04d@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I am having the same problem, has anyone come up with a solution?
> =?Utf-8?B?ZXNjYXJyZ28=?=;85658 Wrote:
>> I have the same kind of broken installation, and no clue about how to
>> recover.
>> I was trying to remove an older Cisco VPN client, and (perhaps
>> mistaken) hit
>> cancel to stop the uninstall to remove it later. Now I can't remove it,
>> and
>> get the error message you cite. I also cannot "Repair" which gives a
>> similar
>> error message in a different widget. It really bugs me that there is no
>> way
>> to explicity resume an installation (which Vista claims needs to be
>> done) and
>> no way to determine what it is that is being installed. It's a terrible
>> lack
>> of transparency.
>>
>> "sean in d.c." wrote:
>>
>> > I am unable to install or uninstall any programs in Windows Vista.

>> If I
>> > attempt to do so, I get the following message:
>> >
>> > Another program is being installed. Please wait until that

>> installation is
>> > complete, and then try installing this software again.
>> >
>> > I get this error if I try to install a program using a CD, DVD or

>> download,
>> > and I get this error if I try to uninstall a program from the Control

>> Panel.
>> >
>> > I have rebooted several times, yet this problem persists. Any

>> suggestions?

> --
> startingtohatevista

If you want help, please take the time and energy to describe your
own problem, else you are not likely to obtain assistance anywhere.

Me too doesn't cut it here. Every computer is different. Unless you have the
exact same computer with the exact same software loaded you are NOT a ""ME
TOO"". You are different.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

startingtohatevista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't install/uninstall anything...says I'm already doing it
I was trying to install a logitech camera. The installation seemed to complete so I started to install Microsoft Office. After the initial installation of office I restarted and it gave me the same error that is stated below "Another program is being installed...". I tried to use the logitech CD to unistall and it gave me the same error. I deleted all of the logitech files and tried again, and got the same error. I tried a reinstall, and that didn't work either. I restarted after each step, but got the same error every time. I basically need to figure out how to stop windows installer, or reset it so that it doesn't look to install the logitech program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?c2VhbiBpbiBkLmMu?= View Post