Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...

Autumnale

Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...
I don't seem to be able to cancel chkdsk. I did a google search and I don't
seem to be the only one. Once you schedule a chkdsk run, it appears that
you're committed. Is there a way to cancel the chkdsk? You don't seem to be
able to do so with a USB keyboard.

I have one of those Microsoft natural keyboards. The num lock key is lit up
so the keyboard works fine, but chkdsk doesn't seem to recognize any keys. I
mashed as many keys as I could in the 10 seconds, but it didn't work.

It seems that the only way to get into my computer is to reinstall Windows
Vista 32. that's kind of sad.

I'm running Vista 32 btw. Anyways, if Microsoft can fix the chkdsk
problem, that'd be great.

Until they fix it though, I don't recommend anyone running chkdsk if you own
a USB keyboard.
Rick Rogers

Re: Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...
Hi,

Have you tried letting chkdsk finish?
Have you tried hitting F8 at boot and choosing the last known good config?
Have you tried booting the Vista disk and getting to the recovery console?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Autumnale" <Autumnale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't seem to be able to cancel chkdsk. I did a google search and I
>don't
> seem to be the only one. Once you schedule a chkdsk run, it appears that
> you're committed. Is there a way to cancel the chkdsk? You don't seem to
> be
> able to do so with a USB keyboard.
>
> I have one of those Microsoft natural keyboards. The num lock key is lit
> up
> so the keyboard works fine, but chkdsk doesn't seem to recognize any keys.
> mashed as many keys as I could in the 10 seconds, but it didn't work.
>
> It seems that the only way to get into my computer is to reinstall Windows
> Vista 32. that's kind of sad.
>
> I'm running Vista 32 btw. Anyways, if Microsoft can fix the chkdsk
> problem, that'd be great.
>
> Until they fix it though, I don't recommend anyone running chkdsk if you
> own
> a USB keyboard.

Michael Walraven

Re: Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...
Not sure about your specific problem, however when there are problems using
a USB keyboard prior to complete Operating System boot up:

Check your options in your BIOS, there may be a 'legacy' setting for USB or
USB keyboard, or something similar.
If it is set to legacy then the USB device will function between the BIOS
and the completion of the OS boot. If it is not set then the keyboard will
function during the BIOS boot, but then will not be available until the OS
completes its boot up and installs its USB keyboard driver.

Michael
Vista Home premium

"Autumnale" <Autumnale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't seem to be able to cancel chkdsk. I did a google search and I
> don't
> seem to be the only one. Once you schedule a chkdsk run, it appears that
> you're committed. Is there a way to cancel the chkdsk? You don't seem to
> be
> able to do so with a USB keyboard.
>
> I have one of those Microsoft natural keyboards. The num lock key is lit
> up
> so the keyboard works fine, but chkdsk doesn't seem to recognize any keys.
> mashed as many keys as I could in the 10 seconds, but it didn't work.
>
> It seems that the only way to get into my computer is to reinstall Windows
> Vista 32. that's kind of sad.
>
> I'm running Vista 32 btw. Anyways, if Microsoft can fix the chkdsk
> problem, that'd be great.
>
> Until they fix it though, I don't recommend anyone running chkdsk if you
> own
> a USB keyboard.

Autumnale

Re: Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...
Yeah I just let it finish. It took 2 hours. It was painful, but not
completely horrible. I was just wondering if there were a way to cancel the
chkdsk manually if you have a USB keyboard.
Rick Rogers

Re: Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...
Hi,

Only if the system BIOS supports it.

--

> Yeah I just let it finish. It took 2 hours. It was painful, but not
> completely horrible. I was just wondering if there were a way to cancel
> the
> chkdsk manually if you have a USB keyboard.

Autumnale

Don't set the dirty bit unless you're willing to wait for it to fi
Yeah I checked, my BIOS has USB legacy support and it's been on the whole
time. I mean the USB keyboard works fine during the load up except when the
chkdsk thing is on. I don't know. I think somehow the chkdsk program has
some sort of problem with recognizing USB keyboards or something. I wish I
still had my old PS/2 keyboard so I can find out of if my suspicions are
correct.

It should be a warning to people though. Don't set that dirty bit unless
you're committed to letting it finish.
Autumnale

Re: Which one is the any key?!? Can't cancel chkdsk...
Yeah, the legacy setting was on. It was set to on without my ever realizing
it. I don't think that's the problem. I mean the num key was all lit up so
the USB keyboard was getting power.

I've been noticing some problems with Vista and USB though. Its kind of
weird actually. I should start paying attention to how to reproduce these
USB problems.