cannot write to folder

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVsdGFfSg==?=

cannot write to folder
I am trying to (legally) recode a video clip using Dr. DivX on my 32-bit
legit Vista Ultimate. I keep getting the error that the output forlder is
Read-Only, no matter which folder I choose to recode to on the internal drive
on which Vista is installed, my external drive, or even my USB flash drive.

I am aware that Vista, similarly to XP, turns on the read-only attribute in
most folders by default, whether they are system folders or user-created
ones. I had no problems with this in WinXP Pro. I have transferred
permissions to all of my own administrator account's folders to the entire
Administrators group to no avail. As soon as I de-select the Read-Only
attribute button, click OK, and then reopen the properties window of a given
folder, it's Read-Only attribute is re-selected.

Is there any way to permanently prevent Vista from restoring the Read-Only
attribute to any of the subfolders of the Users directory, or for that
matter, in any folder on any drive that Vista is able to detect? I know that
doing so would disable a built-in security feature of Vista and I am prepared
to take that risk despite recommendations from MVP's on this forum who would
advise against it.

Or could it be a flaw in Dr. DivX? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Delta_J

2.4GHz P4
1 GB RAM
40 GB Hard Drive
32 MB Video Memory (I know it sucks, but who needs Aero anyway? I'm just
grateful that Vista runs on my comp at all!)
edgarm15

Re: cannot write to folder

I have the same issue..we need help!!

--
edgarm15
Bill Daggett

Re: cannot write to folder
edgarm15 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I have the same issue..we need help!!

YOU need help. The other person in "we" - who posted OVER TWO YEARS
AGO - probably has found a solution already.

Start a new thread listing the details of YOUR problem.
edgarm15

Re: cannot write to folder

Thanks for the help!! I really appricate the time you took to tell me
that..you really helped me out...

--
edgarm15
R. C. White

Re: cannot write to folder
Hi, edgarm15.

We can't see "the same issue" you are having because you didn't quote
anything (and the forum to which you posted forwarded to this Microsoft
public newsgroup only your bare-naked message), but from the Subject line,
I'm guessing that you might want to read this KB article:
You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Of course, that might not apply at all. You may have a permissions issue,
rather than a read-only issue. If you'd like more help, please post an
actual description of your problem. To bypass the "forum" middleman, you
can post directly to this newsgroup by using this link:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof..._mainten ance

That click should fire up your default newsreader - not your browser - and
connect you directly to the Microsoft public news server and this newsgroup.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"edgarm15" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have the same issue..we need help!!
>

> --
> edgarm15

Dukefrukem is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: cannot write to folder
I am also having this issue. I've searched around and I can't find a solution.

Bumping this thread to get some attention.

-Duke

Windows Vista 64-bit
i7-920
GTX 295