System Restore stopped working!

Ron Darby

System Restore stopped working!
After trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to install several programs that I used
on XP I started getting strange things happening like not being able to
delete new desktop icons. So I tried System Restore. Although I had loads
of restore points, going back eventually to my first restore point I still
get the message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your Systems system files
were not changed.

Details:

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore."

Can anyone give me an idea what to do to get Restore working again?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore stopped working!
Was there an error code after the unspecified error text?

"Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> After trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to install several programs that I
> used
> on XP I started getting strange things happening like not being able to
> delete new desktop icons. So I tried System Restore. Although I had
> loads
> of restore points, going back eventually to my first restore point I still
> get the message:
>
> "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your Systems system files
> were not changed.
>
> Details:
>
> An unspecified error occurred during System Restore."
>
> Can anyone give me an idea what to do to get Restore working again?

Ron Darby

Re: System Restore stopped working!
No error code I copied the entire message to the post.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was there an error code after the unspecified error text?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> After trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to install several programs that I
>> used
>> on XP I started getting strange things happening like not being able to
>> delete new desktop icons. So I tried System Restore. Although I had
>> loads
>> of restore points, going back eventually to my first restore point I
>> still
>> get the message:
>>
>> "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your Systems system files
>> were not changed.
>>
>> Details:
>>
>> An unspecified error occurred during System Restore."
>>
>> Can anyone give me an idea what to do to get Restore working again?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore stopped working!
Try performing the restore by booting from the DVD and choosing the recovery
option for System Restore. (Or, is that how you got to this point?)

> No error code I copied the entire message to the post.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Was there an error code after the unspecified error text?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> After trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to install several programs that I
>>> used
>>> on XP I started getting strange things happening like not being able to
>>> delete new desktop icons. So I tried System Restore. Although I had
>>> loads
>>> of restore points, going back eventually to my first restore point I
>>> still
>>> get the message:
>>>
>>> "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your Systems system
>>> files
>>> were not changed.
>>>
>>> Details:
>>>
>>> An unspecified error occurred during System Restore."
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me an idea what to do to get Restore working again?

Ron Darby

Re: System Restore stopped working!
Unfortunately I don't have a DVD. This is a new computer from Dell that
came with
Viva and I don't even have an instillation CD.

> Try performing the restore by booting from the DVD and choosing the
> recovery option for System Restore. (Or, is that how you got to this
> point?)

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> No error code I copied the entire message to the post.
>>

>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Was there an error code after the unspecified error text?
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Rock

Re: System Restore stopped working!
"Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote

> Unfortunately I don't have a DVD. This is a new computer from Dell that
> came with
> Viva and I don't even have an instillation CD.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote

>> Try performing the restore by booting from the DVD and choosing the
>> recovery option for System Restore. (Or, is that how you got to this
>> point?)

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> No error code I copied the entire message to the post.
>>>

>>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Does it offer some means to access the recovery options during boot up. The
OEM can set it up that way though I don't now if DELL is doing that. You
can also try running system restore from safe mode.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Ron Darby

Re: System Restore stopped working!
Thanks so much for the help. So much was messed up on my machine that I
ended up just reinstalling Vista from the instillation disk. I used the
upgrade option so I didn't loose much and System Restore now works like it's
supposed to.

Ron

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote
>
>> Unfortunately I don't have a DVD. This is a new computer from Dell that
>> came with
>> Viva and I don't even have an instillation CD.
>>
>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote

>>> Try performing the restore by booting from the DVD and choosing the
>>> recovery option for System Restore. (Or, is that how you got to this
>>> point?)
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>>

>>> "Ron Darby" <r-darby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Does it offer some means to access the recovery options during boot up.
> The OEM can set it up that way though I don't now if DELL is doing that.
> You can also try running system restore from safe mode.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: System Restore stopped working!
You're welcome Ron, glad you're up and running in Vista now, have fun.