Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.

Rex Avery

Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.
The message occurs after login for both admin and user account.

The message continues "A problem cauased the program to stop working
correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available"

If I hit either the "close program" button or the "X", I get an immediate
"blue screen of death".

Vista is fully patched.
Suggestions welcome.

That the dump analysis program crashes Vista in user mode seems to be a
major problem. I could find no referenece in KB
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.
Hi,

What does the stop error (blue screen) state? Is the dump file created?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rex Avery" <RexAvery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The message occurs after login for both admin and user account.
>
> The message continues "A problem cauased the program to stop working
> correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> available"
>
> If I hit either the "close program" button or the "X", I get an immediate
> "blue screen of death".
>
> Vista is fully patched.
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> That the dump analysis program crashes Vista in user mode seems to be a
> major problem. I could find no referenece in KB

Rex Avery

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.
Yes a dump does occur. But, to the best of my knowledge it is not analyzed
upon reboot -- at least I never get a reply from Microsoft.

Without Dr. Watson it is very hard to even get a hint at what happened.
Unless of course there are "secret" (which I susspect) tools that are
"available" but exceedingly hard to find.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What does the stop error (blue screen) state? Is the dump file created?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Rex Avery" <RexAvery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The message occurs after login for both admin and user account.
> >
> > The message continues "A problem cauased the program to stop working
> > correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> > available"
> >
> > If I hit either the "close program" button or the "X", I get an immediate
> > "blue screen of death".
> >
> > Vista is fully patched.
> > Suggestions welcome.
> >
> > That the dump analysis program crashes Vista in user mode seems to be a
> > major problem. I could find no referenece in KB

Rex Avery

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.
Got a Rundll32.exe error -- system crashed -- could not get address.

Rebooted. Logged on as admin and got the following "Werfault.exe The
application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000022). Click OK to
terminate the application" Werfault is part of Windows Problem Reporting.
If I click OK, Vista crashes. Switched user to regular user. Norton gave
init error message. When I ignore, IE7 and Mail seems to work OK.

I'm beginning to think that factory restore and a run forward of all patches
is now my best bet

"Rex Avery" wrote:

> Yes a dump does occur. But, to the best of my knowledge it is not analyzed
> upon reboot -- at least I never get a reply from Microsoft.
>
> Without Dr. Watson it is very hard to even get a hint at what happened.
> Unless of course there are "secret" (which I susspect) tools that are
> "available" but exceedingly hard to find.
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What does the stop error (blue screen) state? Is the dump file created?
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Rex Avery" <RexAvery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The message occurs after login for both admin and user account.
> > >
> > > The message continues "A problem cauased the program to stop working
> > > correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> > > available"
> > >
> > > If I hit either the "close program" button or the "X", I get an immediate
> > > "blue screen of death".
> > >
> > > Vista is fully patched.
> > > Suggestions welcome.
> > >
> > > That the dump analysis program crashes Vista in user mode seems to be a
> > > major problem. I could find no referenece in KB

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.
Hi Rex,

Microsoft wouldn't respond directly on an uploaded dump, you would only get
an automated response if the dump matched a known issue. The rest are
analyzed and cataloged for additional research and to watch for
commonalities. It it's a minidump file, you can forward it to me at my email
address using a subject line of 'per req'. I can see if there is anything I
can tell about the issue.

--

> Yes a dump does occur. But, to the best of my knowledge it is not
> analyzed
> upon reboot -- at least I never get a reply from Microsoft.
>
> Without Dr. Watson it is very hard to even get a hint at what happened.
> Unless of course there are "secret" (which I susspect) tools that are
> "available" but exceedingly hard to find.
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What does the stop error (blue screen) state? Is the dump file created?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Rex Avery" <RexAvery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The message occurs after login for both admin and user account.
>> >
>> > The message continues "A problem cauased the program to stop working
>> > correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution
>> > is
>> > available"
>> >
>> > If I hit either the "close program" button or the "X", I get an
>> > immediate
>> > "blue screen of death".
>> >
>> > Vista is fully patched.
>> > Suggestions welcome.
>> >
>> > That the dump analysis program crashes Vista in user mode seems to be a
>> > major problem. I could find no referenece in KB

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.
Hi,

Disable the Norton software, see if the problem stops.

--

> Got a Rundll32.exe error -- system crashed -- could not get address.
>
> Rebooted. Logged on as admin and got the following "Werfault.exe The
> application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000022). Click OK to
> terminate the application" Werfault is part of Windows Problem Reporting.
> If I click OK, Vista crashes. Switched user to regular user. Norton gave
> init error message. When I ignore, IE7 and Mail seems to work OK.
>
> I'm beginning to think that factory restore and a run forward of all
> patches
> is now my best bet
>

> "Rex Avery" wrote:
>
>> Yes a dump does occur. But, to the best of my knowledge it is not
>> analyzed
>> upon reboot -- at least I never get a reply from Microsoft.
>>
>> Without Dr. Watson it is very hard to even get a hint at what happened.
>> Unless of course there are "secret" (which I susspect) tools that are
>> "available" but exceedingly hard to find.
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What does the stop error (blue screen) state? Is the dump file created?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best of Luck,
>> >
>> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

silversj

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.

I have the same problem as well. I do not have Norton. I had OneCare,
but uninstalled it and the problem persists.

--
silversj
silversj's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38476

http://forums.techarena.in

silversj

Re: Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working.

After playing with msconfig.exe, I narrowed the problem to "Spyware
Doctor" which is part of the Lenovo package of stuff and was
auto-updated to a new version about when my initial troubles began.

-- Jeffrey