ReadyBoost Feature...

Sly Dog

ReadyBoost Feature...
I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
difference.

I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?

That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

Lakesidezx

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
According to everything I've read, vista will only use one flash device, but
if you figure out how to do otherwise, let us know since I bought up a
handfull of 1GB flash devices that are readyboost ready for $3.50 each and
would be nice to somehow link them all together and fool vista into thinking
they are all one large device.

"Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
> difference.
>
> I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
> link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
>
> That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

Dale White

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
Other than if you are using a laptop. Why wouldn't you jus buy more RAM ?
http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/an...a_ready_boost/

"Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> According to everything I've read, vista will only use one flash device,
> but if you figure out how to do otherwise, let us know since I bought up a
> handfull of 1GB flash devices that are readyboost ready for $3.50 each and
> would be nice to somehow link them all together and fool vista into
> thinking they are all one large device.
>
> "Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
> news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
>> difference.
>>
>> I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
>> link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
>>
>> That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

Lakesidezx

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
I've got 2GB of ram and a 4GB flash device, so in theory the way that I
understand it so far is that I benefit from using the flash device. I don't
add more RAM because I don't care to spend the extra 200 or so dollars to
buy 2 more GB of RAM, although I might do it one day if I have the extra
$200+ to throw away on it, so until then the flash device will suffice, but
would be better if vista would somehow use multiple flash devices then I
could have my 4GB and five 1GB flash devices for a total of 9GB of flash
memory which although slower than real RAM but faster than HDD access.

"Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:5oWdnTOTVIACLlHYnZ2dnUVZ_vipnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> Other than if you are using a laptop. Why wouldn't you jus buy more RAM ?
> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/an...a_ready_boost/
>
> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> According to everything I've read, vista will only use one flash device,
>> but if you figure out how to do otherwise, let us know since I bought up
>> a handfull of 1GB flash devices that are readyboost ready for $3.50 each
>> and would be nice to somehow link them all together and fool vista into
>> thinking they are all one large device.
>>
>> "Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
>> news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>> I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time
>>> and link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
>>>
>>> That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

John Barnett MVP

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
Vista only used 'one' flash device for readyboost. If you add another flash
device readyboost ignores it.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
> difference.
>
> I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
> link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
>
> That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

Dale White

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...

Interesting, so with 2GB of ram, you're still having performance issues ? Or
are you saying that you're still getting a performance boast with the flash
drive ? I might have to play with my flashdrive and see what I get, but
seeing how the only time I use more than 35% of my ram is when I'm playing
some of the newer games (and even then it's around 75% in use, I'm not sure
where having a flashdrive helps.

> I've got 2GB of ram and a 4GB flash device, so in theory the way that I
> understand it so far is that I benefit from using the flash device. I
> don't add more RAM because I don't care to spend the extra 200 or so
> dollars to buy 2 more GB of RAM, although I might do it one day if I have
> the extra $200+ to throw away on it, so until then the flash device will
> suffice, but would be better if vista would somehow use multiple flash
> devices then I could have my 4GB and five 1GB flash devices for a total of
> 9GB of flash memory which although slower than real RAM but faster than
> HDD access.
>
> "Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> news:5oWdnTOTVIACLlHYnZ2dnUVZ_vipnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> Other than if you are using a laptop. Why wouldn't you jus buy more RAM ?
>> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/an...a_ready_boost/
>>
>> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> According to everything I've read, vista will only use one flash device,
>>> but if you figure out how to do otherwise, let us know since I bought up
>>> a handfull of 1GB flash devices that are readyboost ready for $3.50 each
>>> and would be nice to somehow link them all together and fool vista into
>>> thinking they are all one large device.
>>>
>>> "Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
>>> news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...

David Hearn

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
£150 ($300) to completely replace the existing 2x512MB with 2x1GB (I
only have 2 slots) to go from 1GB to 2GB of RAM vs £20 ($40) to buy a
2GB flash drive and dedicate it to ReadyBoost. Okay, I'm not going to
see the same performance increase as getting real RAM, but £150 to get
an extra 1GB isn't worth it for me.

David

Dale White wrote:
> Other than if you are using a laptop. Why wouldn't you jus buy more RAM ?
> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/an...a_ready_boost/
>
> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> According to everything I've read, vista will only use one flash device,
>> but if you figure out how to do otherwise, let us know since I bought up a
>> handfull of 1GB flash devices that are readyboost ready for $3.50 each and
>> would be nice to somehow link them all together and fool vista into
>> thinking they are all one large device.
>>
>> "Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
>> news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>> I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
>>> link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
>>>
>>> That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

Lakesidezx

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
No performance issues here with 2GB. If anything there is a noticible boost
in some tasks performance with the readyboost flash plugged in. But
certainly not for many of my commonly use apps and games. I don't expect
readyboost to enhance anything but load performance, which I believe it does
pretty well for common apps like control panel, windows mail, I.E, etc, but
common apps or games that I run on a daily basis, and often times 10+ times
a day I don't really see any performance enhancements with regards to load
times and certainly don't notice any performance enhancement with regards to

All in all, I'd say if someone has a usable flash device laying around, by
all means utilize it, but I don't really think the boost in some performance
(for what Im noticing) is worthwhile to run out and buy a flash device.

Perhaps it gets better with time ;-)

"Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:B92dnblqy7prUFHYnZ2dnUVZ_t6qnZ2d@insightbb.co m...

> Interesting, so with 2GB of ram, you're still having performance issues ?
> Or are you saying that you're still getting a performance boast with the
> flash drive ? I might have to play with my flashdrive and see what I get,
> but seeing how the only time I use more than 35% of my ram is when I'm
> playing some of the newer games (and even then it's around 75% in use, I'm
> not sure where having a flashdrive helps.
>

> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> I've got 2GB of ram and a 4GB flash device, so in theory the way that I
>> understand it so far is that I benefit from using the flash device. I
>> don't add more RAM because I don't care to spend the extra 200 or so
>> dollars to buy 2 more GB of RAM, although I might do it one day if I have
>> the extra $200+ to throw away on it, so until then the flash device will
>> suffice, but would be better if vista would somehow use multiple flash
>> devices then I could have my 4GB and five 1GB flash devices for a total
>> of 9GB of flash memory which although slower than real RAM but faster
>> than HDD access.
>>
>> "Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
>> news:5oWdnTOTVIACLlHYnZ2dnUVZ_vipnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>>> Other than if you are using a laptop. Why wouldn't you jus buy more RAM
>>> ?
>>> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/an...a_ready_boost/

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...
Well, some of us, or some of our computers have low RAM limitations. The max
for my kids Dell is 1GB, which it has but I already know it will need a
ReadBoost flash drive to help keep up with them. One is on order.

"Dale White" wrote:

> Other than if you are using a laptop. Why wouldn't you jus buy more RAM ?
> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/an...a_ready_boost/
>
> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > According to everything I've read, vista will only use one flash device,
> > but if you figure out how to do otherwise, let us know since I bought up a
> > handfull of 1GB flash devices that are readyboost ready for $3.50 each and
> > would be nice to somehow link them all together and fool vista into
> > thinking they are all one large device.
> >
> > "Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
> > news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> >> I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
> >> difference.
> >>
> >> I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
> >> link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
> >>
> >> That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

socrfan

Re: ReadyBoost Feature...

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Vista only used 'one' flash device for readyboost. If you add another flash
> device readyboost ignores it.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "Sly Dog" <Sly_Dog@GottaLoveThatBill.com> wrote in message
> news:yvWdnUX1ZJfQ4FHYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> > I've gotta admit that using ReadyBoost in Ulitmate really does make a
> > difference.
> >
> > I'm guessing I could, perhaps, add additional flash devices over time and
> > link them together as a multi-volume dynamic disk..?
> >
> > That'd be a hoot, don't you think..?

The developers working with ReadyBoost have stated that using more than one
drive may come in a future update of the ReadyBoost software so it may happen.