System Services - Disable Any?

=?Utf-8?B?aU5leHhGZWFy?=

System Services - Disable Any?
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has found any interesting little system services
that can be easily disabled that do not really support much of the system's
architecture.

What I mean is that by default, I install Windows Vista and it enables all
of these neat features and gadgets. However at times Microsoft has a
tendancy to leave extraneous items which really do not apply to your system.

For example, I own a Sony VAIO Laptop. I've upgraded to Windows Vista
Ultimate and enjoying the system alot. However, due to current budget
constraints at the moment I am not able to upgrade the RAM to 2GB to enhance
the available RAM the system can use.

So what I'm wondering is, has anyone disabled any services in their Vista's
which have offered you some significant startup speeds or available ram?

For Example:
*I know that I could disable the AREO theme but unfortunately I like that.

*I know that it has some features for the tablet PC's in it also, since mine
is not a tablet are there any services that could be stopped?

*What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?

Any feedback thoughts or services that you normally disable by default, I
would be very interested in hearing about.
JimR

Re: System Services - Disable Any?
"iNexxFear" <iNexxFear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has found any interesting little system services
> that can be easily disabled that do not really support much of the
> system's
> architecture.
>
> What I mean is that by default, I install Windows Vista and it enables all
> of these neat features and gadgets. However at times Microsoft has a
> tendancy to leave extraneous items which really do not apply to your
> system.
>
> For example, I own a Sony VAIO Laptop. I've upgraded to Windows Vista
> Ultimate and enjoying the system alot. However, due to current budget
> constraints at the moment I am not able to upgrade the RAM to 2GB to
> enhance
> the available RAM the system can use.
>
> So what I'm wondering is, has anyone disabled any services in their
> Vista's
> which have offered you some significant startup speeds or available ram?
>
> For Example:
> *I know that I could disable the AREO theme but unfortunately I like that.
>
> *I know that it has some features for the tablet PC's in it also, since
> mine
> is not a tablet are there any services that could be stopped?
>
> *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?
>
> Any feedback thoughts or services that you normally disable by default, I
> would be very interested in hearing about.

This is old but a good starting point -
http://www.tweakvista.com/article38662.aspx

--
Jim

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

RE: System Services - Disable Any?
Well, have you considered getting a Readyboost capable flash drive? This
seems to be especially useful for laptop owners. I've ordered one for each
one of our 3 desktops to help speed them up. The fast Readyboost flash
drives (twice as fast as most for Readyboost capable), the Apacer HT203, can
be found here in 1, 2 and 4 GB models:
http://www.supermediastore.com/apacerpen.html

You can read Ed Bott's ZDnet article about Readyboost flash drives here:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=186

Ususally, you want a Readyboost flash drive to equal your RAM - 1GB to 1GB
RAM, etc. This may allow you to have it all and speed it up, too!

"iNexxFear" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has found any interesting little system services
> that can be easily disabled that do not really support much of the system's
> architecture.
>
> What I mean is that by default, I install Windows Vista and it enables all
> of these neat features and gadgets. However at times Microsoft has a
> tendancy to leave extraneous items which really do not apply to your system.
>
> For example, I own a Sony VAIO Laptop. I've upgraded to Windows Vista
> Ultimate and enjoying the system alot. However, due to current budget
> constraints at the moment I am not able to upgrade the RAM to 2GB to enhance
> the available RAM the system can use.
>
> So what I'm wondering is, has anyone disabled any services in their Vista's
> which have offered you some significant startup speeds or available ram?
>
> For Example:
> *I know that I could disable the AREO theme but unfortunately I like that.
>
> *I know that it has some features for the tablet PC's in it also, since mine
> is not a tablet are there any services that could be stopped?
>
> *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?
>
> Any feedback thoughts or services that you normally disable by default, I
> would be very interested in hearing about.

Ken Gardner

Re: System Services - Disable Any?
"iNexxFear" <iNexxFear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has found any interesting little system services
> that can be easily disabled that do not really support much of the
> system's
> architecture.
>
> What I mean is that by default, I install Windows Vista and it enables all
> of these neat features and gadgets. However at times Microsoft has a
> tendancy to leave extraneous items which really do not apply to your
> system.
>
> For example, I own a Sony VAIO Laptop. I've upgraded to Windows Vista
> Ultimate and enjoying the system alot. However, due to current budget
> constraints at the moment I am not able to upgrade the RAM to 2GB to
> enhance
> the available RAM the system can use.
>
> So what I'm wondering is, has anyone disabled any services in their
> Vista's
> which have offered you some significant startup speeds or available ram?
>
> For Example:
> *I know that I could disable the AREO theme but unfortunately I like that.
>
> *I know that it has some features for the tablet PC's in it also, since
> mine
> is not a tablet are there any services that could be stopped?
>
> *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?
>
> Any feedback thoughts or services that you normally disable by default, I
> would be very interested in hearing about.

Ken Gardner

Re: System Services - Disable Any?
"iNexxFear" <iNexxFear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?

Whatever else you do, don't do that. The new index system is what makes the
equally new Vista search features so awesome.

[...]

Ken

Ken Gardner

"Ed Stoddard" <EdStoddard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Well, have you considered getting a Readyboost capable flash drive? This
> seems to be especially useful for laptop owners. I've ordered one for
> each
> one of our 3 desktops to help speed them up. The fast Readyboost flash
> drives (twice as fast as most for Readyboost capable), the Apacer HT203,
> can
> be found here in 1, 2 and 4 GB models:
> http://www.supermediastore.com/apacerpen.html

I'm using the Apacer 2 GB model. It's great. According to some things I've
read (I think on Ed Bott's blog), it is the fastest flash drive currently
available.

Ken

Steve Thackery

Re: System Services - Disable Any?
> *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?

A background hog? What on earth is that? It runs at a very low priority,
and backs off as soon as you want to do anything. It uses cpu cycles which
would otherwise go wasted, and as such is a good thing.

You've paid good money for that cpu - don't waste it by making it sit idle
all the time!

Thack

=?Utf-8?B?RVc=?=

Re: System Services - Disable Any?
Steve,

I also wish to disable the Vista Index function -- I never use it. It's not
the CPU use that bothers me, it's the hard drive thrashing that's on my mind.
Do you have a suggestion for the best way to disable indexing permanently?

EW

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

> > *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> > hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?

> A background hog? What on earth is that? It runs at a very low priority,
> and backs off as soon as you want to do anything. It uses cpu cycles which
> would otherwise go wasted, and as such is a good thing.
>
> You've paid good money for that cpu - don't waste it by making it sit idle
> all the time!
>
> Thack

=?Utf-8?B?c2FmeXJlamV0?=

RE: System Services - Disable Any?
I actually also have a sony vaio with a 2GB RAM and am having alot of
problems making programs run without lag or problems. I tried turning all of
the features off and in different combos but nothing helped. I can have
media player running by itself and it still skips and stops during playback
frequently. My old computer had less RAM and was able to run 6+ programs
easily without lag or trouble. I'm not sure that upgrading to 2GB RAM will
help you. I wish I didn't have to 'up'grade to vista on a new computer.
Something is making it have too much trouble in multi tasking (or even single
tasking) to be worth the fancy design stuff. I am also finding alot of
incompatiblity with software and other stuff I use. Microsoft isn't scoring
any points with me on Vista. I want XP back.

"iNexxFear" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has found any interesting little system services
> that can be easily disabled that do not really support much of the system's
> architecture.
>
> What I mean is that by default, I install Windows Vista and it enables all
> of these neat features and gadgets. However at times Microsoft has a
> tendancy to leave extraneous items which really do not apply to your system.
>
> For example, I own a Sony VAIO Laptop. I've upgraded to Windows Vista
> Ultimate and enjoying the system alot. However, due to current budget
> constraints at the moment I am not able to upgrade the RAM to 2GB to enhance
> the available RAM the system can use.
>
> So what I'm wondering is, has anyone disabled any services in their Vista's
> which have offered you some significant startup speeds or available ram?
>
> For Example:
> *I know that I could disable the AREO theme but unfortunately I like that.
>
> *I know that it has some features for the tablet PC's in it also, since mine
> is not a tablet are there any services that could be stopped?
>
> *What about the indexer? Indexing the system at times can be a background
> hog, but is it worth disabling this feature in Vista?
>
> Any feedback thoughts or services that you normally disable by default, I
> would be very interested in hearing about.

=?Utf-8?B?c2FmeXJlamV0?=

Re: System Services - Disable Any?
thanks for the link, I'll try it and hope it helps.