Is there a way to see what is going on with superfetch?

Lakesidezx

Is there a way to see what is going on with superfetch?
Im guessing that vista must be utilizing superfetch on my computer because I
just opened task manager to see that where the memory part is, it says that
I have 2054 and that 1453 cache and 4 or 5 free.

But what exactly is in that cache? How does one turn off the feature? My
thoughts on this are that I may be quite sporadic in my usage of my
computer, so if it's caching what vista thinks Im going to be using, but I
use something else then isn't it just slowing down the computer since it
would need to release what it's cached in memory so that it can load up what
I want to run instead?

In any event, Im more curious then anything else to know if there is a way
to see what vista has decided to cache for me on my behalf.

Thanks,

Ken Gardner

Re: Is there a way to see what is going on with superfetch?
"Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote:

> Im guessing that vista must be utilizing superfetch on my computer because
> I just opened task manager to see that where the memory part is, it says
> that I have 2054 and that 1453 cache and 4 or 5 free.

> But what exactly is in that cache? How does one turn off the feature? My
> thoughts on this are that I may be quite sporadic in my usage of my
> computer, so if it's caching what vista thinks Im going to be using, but I
> use something else then isn't it just slowing down the computer since it
> would need to release what it's cached in memory so that it can load up
> what I want to run instead?

> In any event, Im more curious then anything else to know if there is a way
> to see what vista has decided to cache for me on my behalf.

Open Task Manager. Click on "Resource Monitor." In Resource Monitor, click
on Disk. You will get your answer there.

Strictly speaking, ReadyBoost does not add RAM to your system. It enables
code and data to be paged to and from the faster flash drive rather than
your slower HD. Depending on how good your flash drive is, you can get as
much as a a 10 to 1 improvement in overall speed when doing I/O
transactions.

Ken

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Is there a way to see what is going on with superfetch?
Lakesidezx

You need to read up on exactly how Superfetch works in Vista. There is a
very good, plain language, article here:

AnandTech Article: Windows Vista Performance Guide]:
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2917

Scroll down to Page 2 and start reading. The article continues with a
complete overview of performance in Vista including some benchmark testing.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP