Red Snow

Travis106

Red Snow
When the computer starts up the screen that is suppose to be black is red and
if something is dark or black it contains red snow now? I just started after
running fine all day yesterday. Does anyone know how to fix this and what the
problem might be. Your help is greatly appreciated Thank you.
Malke

Re: Red Snow
Travis106 wrote:
> When the computer starts up the screen that is suppose to be black is red and
> if something is dark or black it contains red snow now? I just started after
> running fine all day yesterday. Does anyone know how to fix this and what the
> problem might be. Your help is greatly appreciated Thank you.

You haven't told us anything about your computer. Desktop? Laptop? Video
card? What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

Generally, the way to troubleshoot these sorts of problems on a desktop
is to connect the machine to another monitor. If the problem is gone,
then you know the original monitor is dying and needs to be replaced. If
the problem exists on a different monitor, then it is probably a failing
video card. Uninstall the current one and put in a known-working one to
test. If all is well, then replace the original video card.

With a laptop, you can try booting with a rescue system such as Knoppix,
a Linux distro that runs from CD. If things are wonky under Linux, then
you know for sure it is a hardware problem. Since you can't fix this
yourself on a laptop, contact the laptop mfr.'s tech support for
repair/replacement.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers