Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

mobo break

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?bmljazIxXzM0?=
 

Posts: n/a
mobo break
my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what i have
heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any way to lift
this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
Travis King
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
You have two options... You could either pay a visit to eBay and see if
you can find the same exact motherboard, which that doesn't even always
work, or you can go ahead and reinstall Windows and at least try to
convince MS to grant you a re-activation. I've seen this happen
successfully many times.

nick21_34 wrote:
> my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what i have
> heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any way to lift
> this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
Dustin Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
Many times a phone call to MS is all that is needed. You can mention
that it is the same brand of motherboard, but a different model #.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com


Travis King wrote:
> You have two options... You could either pay a visit to eBay and see if
> you can find the same exact motherboard, which that doesn't even always
> work, or you can go ahead and reinstall Windows and at least try to
> convince MS to grant you a re-activation. I've seen this happen
> successfully many times.
>
> nick21_34 wrote:
>> my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what
>> i have heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any
>> way to lift this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?bmljazIxXzM0?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
so there is no official way of doin it? and by convince do you mean ring up
and beg?

"Travis King" wrote:

> You have two options... You could either pay a visit to eBay and see if
> you can find the same exact motherboard, which that doesn't even always
> work, or you can go ahead and reinstall Windows and at least try to
> convince MS to grant you a re-activation. I've seen this happen
> successfully many times.
>
> nick21_34 wrote:
> > my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what i have
> > heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any way to lift
> > this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
For your info from Microsoft;

"MPA is included in the Retail and OEM versions of Office XP and in Windows
XP. To complete the activation of these products, users can use any one of
the following methods:.

The MPA-enabled product authenticates over the Internet.

Regional and localized call centers (Microsoft Licensing Clearing Houses)
will handle direct contact with customers. Where available, these call
centers will be toll free."

".However, if a licensed end user needs to activate because the OEM
pre-activation does not work as expected (e.g., after the replacement of a
defective motherboard) they can do so via phone-based activation..".





"nick21_34" <nick21_34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9B3BB51F-4F6E-4FC9-AA3B-A9CD3290A575@microsoft.com...
> my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what i
> have
> heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any way to lift
> this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
Travis King
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
You pretty much just explain to them that your motherboard failed, so
you didn't have much of a choice.
nick21_34 wrote:
> so there is no official way of doin it? and by convince do you mean ring up
> and beg?
>
> "Travis King" wrote:
>
>> You have two options... You could either pay a visit to eBay and see if
>> you can find the same exact motherboard, which that doesn't even always
>> work, or you can go ahead and reinstall Windows and at least try to
>> convince MS to grant you a re-activation. I've seen this happen
>> successfully many times.
>>
>> nick21_34 wrote:
>>> my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what i have
>>> heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any way to lift
>>> this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?bmljazIxXzM0?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
does this apply to vista? and what does that mean in english :S

"AJR" wrote:

> For your info from Microsoft;
>
> "MPA is included in the Retail and OEM versions of Office XP and in Windows
> XP. To complete the activation of these products, users can use any one of
> the following methods:.
>
> The MPA-enabled product authenticates over the Internet.
>
> Regional and localized call centers (Microsoft Licensing Clearing Houses)
> will handle direct contact with customers. Where available, these call
> centers will be toll free."
>
> ".However, if a licensed end user needs to activate because the OEM
> pre-activation does not work as expected (e.g., after the replacement of a
> defective motherboard) they can do so via phone-based activation..".
>
>
>
>
>
> "nick21_34" <nick21_34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9B3BB51F-4F6E-4FC9-AA3B-A9CD3290A575@microsoft.com...
> > my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version! from what i
> > have
> > heard your oem is bound to your mobo in some way, is there any way to lift
> > this cos i really dont want to have to buy another oem.

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2007
Hugh Wyn Griffith
 

Posts: n/a
Re: mobo break
In article <9B3BB51F-4F6E-4FC9-AA3B-A9CD3290A575@microsoft.com>, Nick21
34 wrote:
> my mobo on my dad's pc just broke and he has an oem version!



OEM that was installed by a PC maker or by himself/you/someone else?

Much of what is said on newsgroups about OEM installations is based on
what is known about PC's manufactured by eg Dell HP etc with OEM
versions.

If a personal system builder calls Microsoft about this problem with
OEM VISTA installed it's anyone's guess as to what they will do.

Apart from buying a new motherboard and a new copy of VISTA you really
do not have a choice other than to call Microsoft's Activation phone
line and tell them the truth -- the board broke (do you mean
physically or it just stopped working or what?) and will they give you
a new KEY to activate it.

If they say No then you are out of luck and have learned the
disadvantage of cut-price shortcuts. I'm not moralizing on this -- I've
used OEM XP myself but the rules were different then.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hackers break open Xbox 360 security Paul Security News 0 03-02-2007 11:21
Hackers break open Xbox 360 security Paul Security News 0 03-02-2007 10:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:24.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120