Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?=

Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
Any news on this problem? I have been getting the same error.

Thanks

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Will each of you who has hit this problem send me an email? Subtract the
> "online" from my address. I would like to get some screenshots from you and
> it would be easier to do this through email.

> Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jeffrey Kohler" <JeffreyKohler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm attempting to use the "Backup and Restore Center" to back up my
> > computer.
> > However, whenever I click "Back up computer" I get the following error
> > message:
> >
> > "Windows could not find backup devices on your computer. The following
> > information might explain why this problem occurred:
> >
> > Incorrect function. (0x80070001)
> >
> > Please close the backup application and try again."
> >
> > I do have a DVD RW drive.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
Yes, the problem occurs because your OEM partition is marked as Active. This
isn't a supported configuration and we're not sure how this is
happening--whether the OEM does this or if something happens during Vista
installation. Can you tell me if this was a clean install or upgrade and the
manufacturer of your computer?

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any news on this problem? I have been getting the same error.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Will each of you who has hit this problem send me an email? Subtract the
>> "online" from my address. I would like to get some screenshots from you
>> and
>> it would be easier to do this through email.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
>> Visit
>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Jeffrey Kohler" <JeffreyKohler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I'm attempting to use the "Backup and Restore Center" to back up my
>> > computer.
>> > However, whenever I click "Back up computer" I get the following error
>> > message:
>> >
>> > "Windows could not find backup devices on your computer. The following
>> > information might explain why this problem occurred:
>> >
>> > Incorrect function. (0x80070001)
>> >
>> > Please close the backup application and try again."
>> >
>> > I do have a DVD RW drive.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFsaWw=?=

Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
I have the same problem and the same error message when I try to backup using
a USB Desktop Hard Drive (IOMEGA with 500 GB capacity). My labtop is DELL
Latitude D820 which I bought recently. Originally the Labtop came with "XP
Professional" pre-installed. The vender installed Vista on top of XP, I mean
he replaces XP totally with Vista (i.e. I have one operating system only. No
XP anymore). I hope the above info will help in detecting the reason for the
problem. Please help as I need to backup my files.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Yes, the problem occurs because your OEM partition is marked as Active. This
> isn't a supported configuration and we're not sure how this is
> happening--whether the OEM does this or if something happens during Vista
> installation. Can you tell me if this was a clean install or upgrade and the
> manufacturer of your computer?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any news on this problem? I have been getting the same error.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Will each of you who has hit this problem send me an email? Subtract the
> >> "online" from my address. I would like to get some screenshots from you
> >> and
> >> it would be easier to do this through email.
> >>

> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
> >> Visit
> >> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >>

> >> "Jeffrey Kohler" <JeffreyKohler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
I am including instructions below that one customer used to fix this.I have
not tried this myself so I cannot guarantee it will work.

"Head into Disk Management and set your Active Partition to your primary
Windows partition and not the EISA partition. You will then have to reboot
your PC, have your Windows Vista DVD available. Attempting to boot normally
will display the error that 'bootmgr' cannot be found. Boot to the Windows
Vista DVD and start the Recovery tool, the Recovery tool will find an error,
correct it and ask you to reboot. After rebooting you should be able to see
Windows Vista in the list of installed operating system in the Recovery
tool's OS list. Select Windows Vista and then click on the Repair Startup
item. The Recovery tool will then detect a problem with 'bootmgr' and will
reinstall it. Reboot the system and Windows Vista will start normally."

"Jalil" <Jalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem and the same error message when I try to backup
>using
> a USB Desktop Hard Drive (IOMEGA with 500 GB capacity). My labtop is DELL
> Latitude D820 which I bought recently. Originally the Labtop came with "XP
> Professional" pre-installed. The vender installed Vista on top of XP, I
> mean
> he replaces XP totally with Vista (i.e. I have one operating system only.
> No
> XP anymore). I hope the above info will help in detecting the reason for
> the
> problem. Please help as I need to backup my files.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, the problem occurs because your OEM partition is marked as Active.
>> This
>> isn't a supported configuration and we're not sure how this is
>> happening--whether the OEM does this or if something happens during Vista
>> installation. Can you tell me if this was a clean install or upgrade and
>> the
>> manufacturer of your computer?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Any news on this problem? I have been getting the same error.
>> >
>> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SmFsaWw=?=

Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
Thanks Jill. It works.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> I am including instructions below that one customer used to fix this.I have
> not tried this myself so I cannot guarantee it will work.
>

> "Head into Disk Management and set your Active Partition to your primary
> Windows partition and not the EISA partition. You will then have to reboot
> your PC, have your Windows Vista DVD available. Attempting to boot normally
> will display the error that 'bootmgr' cannot be found. Boot to the Windows
> Vista DVD and start the Recovery tool, the Recovery tool will find an error,
> correct it and ask you to reboot. After rebooting you should be able to see
> Windows Vista in the list of installed operating system in the Recovery
> tool's OS list. Select Windows Vista and then click on the Repair Startup
> item. The Recovery tool will then detect a problem with 'bootmgr' and will
> reinstall it. Reboot the system and Windows Vista will start normally."

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jalil" <Jalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem and the same error message when I try to backup
> >using
> > a USB Desktop Hard Drive (IOMEGA with 500 GB capacity). My labtop is DELL
> > Latitude D820 which I bought recently. Originally the Labtop came with "XP
> > Professional" pre-installed. The vender installed Vista on top of XP, I
> > mean
> > he replaces XP totally with Vista (i.e. I have one operating system only.
> > No
> > XP anymore). I hope the above info will help in detecting the reason for
> > the
> > problem. Please help as I need to backup my files.
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, the problem occurs because your OEM partition is marked as Active.
> >> This
> >> isn't a supported configuration and we're not sure how this is
> >> happening--whether the OEM does this or if something happens during Vista
> >> installation. Can you tell me if this was a clean install or upgrade and
> >> the
> >> manufacturer of your computer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFsaWw=?=

Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
Thanks Jill. It works. The two errors 0x81000029 and 0x80070001 are related
to the same problem. I used the instructions from the following link to solve
the problem. Within 5 minutes everything became just perfect. The link is:
http://www.microsoft-tech.com/index.aspx?content=22
Happy Backup everybody

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> I am including instructions below that one customer used to fix this.I have
> not tried this myself so I cannot guarantee it will work.
>

> "Head into Disk Management and set your Active Partition to your primary
> Windows partition and not the EISA partition. You will then have to reboot
> your PC, have your Windows Vista DVD available. Attempting to boot normally
> will display the error that 'bootmgr' cannot be found. Boot to the Windows
> Vista DVD and start the Recovery tool, the Recovery tool will find an error,
> correct it and ask you to reboot. After rebooting you should be able to see
> Windows Vista in the list of installed operating system in the Recovery
> tool's OS list. Select Windows Vista and then click on the Repair Startup
> item. The Recovery tool will then detect a problem with 'bootmgr' and will
> reinstall it. Reboot the system and Windows Vista will start normally."

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jalil" <Jalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem and the same error message when I try to backup
> >using
> > a USB Desktop Hard Drive (IOMEGA with 500 GB capacity). My labtop is DELL
> > Latitude D820 which I bought recently. Originally the Labtop came with "XP
> > Professional" pre-installed. The vender installed Vista on top of XP, I
> > mean
> > he replaces XP totally with Vista (i.e. I have one operating system only.
> > No
> > XP anymore). I hope the above info will help in detecting the reason for
> > the
> > problem. Please help as I need to backup my files.
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, the problem occurs because your OEM partition is marked as Active.
> >> This
> >> isn't a supported configuration and we're not sure how this is
> >> happening--whether the OEM does this or if something happens during Vista
> >> installation. Can you tell me if this was a clean install or upgrade and
> >> the
> >> manufacturer of your computer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

alexxela is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Backup "could not find backup devices on your computer
Hi everybody,
I recently installed Windows 7 but before I of course "backuped" my computer on a external hard drive. After about 2 long hours I eventually tried to restore my backup. But then it told me "Windows could not find a backup on this computer" And below "Select another backup to restore your files from"
Can you please help me I have no idea what to do aybe uninstall windows 7 and retry the backup. PLease if anybody is reading this please help me. Thanks
Ps: Is it normal to have all the previous messages in my post??

Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?SmFsaWw=?= View Post