Raid 0 mirroring on a preinstalled Vista machine

Anthony Marsh

Raid 0 mirroring on a preinstalled Vista machine
Vista was already installed on the machine I bought which came with only
one 160 GB SATA drive. What if I later on want to add a second SATA
HD? Can I then make it do a RAID 0 with the existing HD? Does it have to
be exactly the same size? Same brand? Same model?
Kerry Brown

Re: Raid 0 mirroring on a preinstalled Vista machine
"Anthony Marsh" <anthony_marsh@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:YLGdnemHs4tjxFvYnZ2dnUVZ_rWnnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Vista was already installed on the machine I bought which came with only
> one 160 GB SATA drive. What if I later on want to add a second SATA HD?
> Can I then make it do a RAID 0 with the existing HD? Does it have to be
> exactly the same size? Same brand? Same model?

Raid 0 is not mirroring. RAID 1 is mirroring. It is not likely you could add
a disk and then create either array without also backing up and restoring
your data afterwards. Some higher end controllers can build a RAID 1 array
on the fly but most lower cost solutions can't.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Ken Blake, MVP

Anthony Marsh wrote:

> Vista was already installed on the machine I bought which came with
> only one 160 GB SATA drive. What if I later on want to add a second
> SATA HD? Can I then make it do a RAID 0 with the existing HD? Does it have
> to be exactly the same size? Same brand? Same model?

Raid 0 is striping, not mirroring. Exactly what do you want to accomplish?

Please reply to the newsgroup

Anthony Marsh

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> Anthony Marsh wrote:
>
>> Vista was already installed on the machine I bought which came with
>> only one 160 GB SATA drive. What if I later on want to add a second
>> SATA HD? Can I then make it do a RAID 0 with the existing HD? Does it have
>> to be exactly the same size? Same brand? Same model?

> Raid 0 is striping, not mirroring. Exactly what do you want to accomplish?

Redundancy so that every bit is saved to both drives so in case one
drive fails, the other is intact. How about self healing from the good
drive?

Tom Gerling

Re: Raid 0 mirroring on a preinstalled Vista machine
RAID 0 has nothing to do with redundancy, but with performance. Look at RAID
1, it might be what you want. A number of newer controllers support creating
a RAID1 array from a single non-RAID disk. Same size, brand and model is
recommended but not required. Check your the documentation for your RAID
controller.

news:946dnYshP95cQ1rYnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@comcast.com. ..