will upgrading RAM require a reinstall to update HAL?

johnm

will upgrading RAM require a reinstall to update HAL?
I'm currently running 1Gb of DDR2 RAM on a home built machine.
Installed Vista and so far no problems.

My questions is... if I upgrade and add another 1Gb of RAM, will this
require a new install?
Seems to me there was an issue with either Win2K or XP that if crossed a
certain line (total RAM) it required a reinstall to update the HAL [hardware
abstraction layer]

any ideas?

Dustin Harper

Re: will upgrading RAM require a reinstall to update HAL?
No, it shouldn't. There are certain other hardware changes (motherboard
change, etc.) that need to take place as well.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

johnm wrote:
> I'm currently running 1Gb of DDR2 RAM on a home built machine.
> Installed Vista and so far no problems.
>
> My questions is... if I upgrade and add another 1Gb of RAM, will this
> require a new install?
> Seems to me there was an issue with either Win2K or XP that if crossed a
> certain line (total RAM) it required a reinstall to update the HAL [hardware
> abstraction layer]
>
> any ideas?

Mark Christopherson

Re: will upgrading RAM require a reinstall to update HAL?
I just did the same thing. No issues on reboot.

"johnm" <johnm@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently running 1Gb of DDR2 RAM on a home built machine.
> Installed Vista and so far no problems.
>
> My questions is... if I upgrade and add another 1Gb of RAM, will this
> require a new install?
> Seems to me there was an issue with either Win2K or XP that if crossed a
> certain line (total RAM) it required a reinstall to update the HAL
> [hardware abstraction layer]
>
> any ideas?

johnm

Re: will upgrading RAM require a reinstall to update HAL?
actually, I remember what the issue was now...

when XP came out, I was running a single Pentium-class processor on a mobo
that had two sockets.
when I added a 2nd processor, -that's- when I had to reinstall to update the
HAL - it wasn't memory after all

thanx anyway

"Mark Christopherson" <markc1024@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I just did the same thing. No issues on reboot.
>
> "johnm" <johnm@msn.com> wrote in message
>> I'm currently running 1Gb of DDR2 RAM on a home built machine.
>> Installed Vista and so far no problems.
>>
>> My questions is... if I upgrade and add another 1Gb of RAM, will this
>> require a new install?
>> Seems to me there was an issue with either Win2K or XP that if crossed a
>> certain line (total RAM) it required a reinstall to update the HAL
>> [hardware abstraction layer]
>>
>> any ideas?

Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]

Re: will upgrading RAM require a reinstall to update HAL?
>if I upgrade and add another 1Gb of RAM, will this require a new install?

From my own experience - I've done quite a few memory upgrades on Vista
systems and never run into a problem like that.

--
Regards,
Yuriy

If you have additional questions, please post them to this newsgroup