Vista defrag utility supports RAID ?

=?Utf-8?B?VFN1cmZlcg==?=

Vista defrag utility supports RAID ?
Hi,

I have an EVGA nForce 680i mobo with a hardware RAID controller on it. I
installed Vista on a 2 x 150GB Raptor RAID 0 array. I'd like to know if the
Vista (or Live OneCare) disk defragmenter utility supports RAID configuration
(from a hardware controller) ? Because I'm afraid that all the datas being
moved to one disk of the array during defragmentation and therefore l would
loose the speed gain from an RAID 0 array.
Robert Moir

Re: Vista defrag utility supports RAID ?
TSurfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an EVGA nForce 680i mobo with a hardware RAID controller on
> it. I installed Vista on a 2 x 150GB Raptor RAID 0 array. I'd like to
> know if the Vista (or Live OneCare) disk defragmenter utility
> supports RAID configuration (from a hardware controller) ? Because
> I'm afraid that all the datas being moved to one disk of the array
> during defragmentation and therefore l would loose the speed gain
> from an RAID 0 array.

Vista's defrag tool will never ever know that you have a hardware raid
installed, nor will it care. It'll just see your raid 0 disk as one hard
drive and treat it as such for the defrag, and due to the way hardware raid
works this means your data will be distributed around all the disks in the
array just fine.

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

=?Utf-8?B?VFN1cmZlcg==?=

Re: Vista defrag utility supports RAID ?
Thank you very much.

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> TSurfer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an EVGA nForce 680i mobo with a hardware RAID controller on
> > it. I installed Vista on a 2 x 150GB Raptor RAID 0 array. I'd like to
> > know if the Vista (or Live OneCare) disk defragmenter utility
> > supports RAID configuration (from a hardware controller) ? Because
> > I'm afraid that all the datas being moved to one disk of the array
> > during defragmentation and therefore l would loose the speed gain
> > from an RAID 0 array.

> Vista's defrag tool will never ever know that you have a hardware raid
> installed, nor will it care. It'll just see your raid 0 disk as one hard
> drive and treat it as such for the defrag, and due to the way hardware raid
> works this means your data will be distributed around all the disks in the
> array just fine.
>
> --
> Robert Moir
> http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

giyad is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista defrag utility supports RAID ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Moir View Post
TSurfer wrote:[color=blue]
Vista's defrag tool will never ever know that you have a hardware raid
installed, nor will it care. It'll just see your raid 0 disk as one hard
drive and treat it as such for the defrag, and due to the way hardware raid
works this means your data will be distributed around all the disks in the
array just fine.

Rhymes With Geek
Does the same thing go for RAID 1? Since it is a mirror, does Vista defrag both hard drives individually or what? I performed a defrag but since Vista removed the status, I have no clue whats actually happening...