Windows Easy Transfer Companion

MICHAEL

Windows Easy Transfer Companion
Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?

I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
That's a tall order.

Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
plus those two tools might be a better route.

Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your most important
programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based PC. The software will
move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others that you may have
installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some programs may not be able
to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security software is not able to
transfer due to technical reasons.

Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer-which is
part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings. Connecting your two
computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and
from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy Transfer Cable,
you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy
Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC
with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive on your
new PC right away.

Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows
Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US
market.

MICHAEL

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
Forgot this:

- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista; Windows XP
Two physical PCs. The old PC must be running Windows XP SP2 and the new PC must be running
Windows Vista - both in U.S. English.

Both PCs must be connected via an Easy Transfer Cable or LAN.

At least 200MB of free disk space.

Must be run as a user with Administrator rights.
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your most important
> programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based PC. The software will
> move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others that you may have
> installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some programs may not be
> able to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security software is not
> able to transfer due to technical reasons.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer-which is
> part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings. Connecting your two
> computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers,
> and from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy Transfer
> Cable, you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC. By using
> Easy Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and easily setup your
> new PC with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive
> on your new PC right away.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows
> Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US
> market.

Beck

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

Ignore my last message, I thought you was talking about WET itself not the
companion. WET transferred my programs by itself though. So why the need
for the companion?

"Beck" <beck@none> wrote in message news:ePjgSo8RHHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>>
>> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
>> That's a tall order.
>>
>> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
>> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
>> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Ignore my last message, I thought you was talking about WET itself not the
> companion. WET transferred my programs by itself though. So why the need
> for the companion?

I'm not exactly sure of the details. I think the Companion is more for those
that buy a new computer and want to move everything over. In fact, it's
only PC to PC via a cable.

-Michael
Rock

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
"Beck" <beck@none> wrote

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote

>> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>>
>> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
>> That's a tall order.
>>
>> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
>> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
>> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Ignore my last message, I thought you was talking about WET itself not the
> companion. WET transferred my programs by itself though. So why the need
> for the companion?

I don't understand what you are saying. WET only transfers user data and
program data, but not the applications themselves. It doesn't install the
apps on the Vista install. That is what the WET Companion is being designed
to do.

What apps did WET migrate for you?

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Bob

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your most important
> programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based PC. The software will
> move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others that you may have
> installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some programs may not be able
> to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security software is not able to
> transfer due to technical reasons.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer-which is
> part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings. Connecting your two
> computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and
> from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy Transfer Cable,
> you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy
> Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC
> with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive on your
> new PC right away.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows
> Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US
> market.

Bob

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
I have a new E521 and have the same problem.. Programs are ready to be
transfered from my old computer to the new but will not work because of
multipule drive issues. How come no "Experts" have replied?? I had no
problem with the Transfer Cable only wwith the companion cable. I wish
someon would fix the problem because the programs i wanted werte ready to be
transferred.

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your most important
> programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based PC. The software will
> move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others that you may have
> installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some programs may not be able
> to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security software is not able to
> transfer due to technical reasons.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer-which is
> part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings. Connecting your two
> computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and
> from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy Transfer Cable,
> you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy
> Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC
> with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive on your
> new PC right away.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows
> Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US
> market.

Rock

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I have a new E521 and have the same problem.. Programs are ready to be
> transfered from my old computer to the new but will not work because of
> multipule drive issues. How come no "Experts" have replied?? I had no
> problem with the Transfer Cable only wwith the companion cable. I wish
> someon would fix the problem because the programs i wanted werte ready to
> be
> transferred.
>
> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
>> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>>
>> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
>> That's a tall order.
>>
>> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
>> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
>> plus those two tools might be a better route.

>> Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer
>> your most important
>> programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based
>> PC. The software will
>> move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others
>> that you may have
>> installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to
>> transfer, so only the
>> programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some
>> programs may not be able
>> to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security
>> software is not able to
>> transfer due to technical reasons.
>>
>> Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows
>> Easy Transfer-which is
>> part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings.
>> Connecting your two
>> computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available
>> online, from retailers, and
>> from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an
>> Easy Transfer Cable,
>> you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC.
>> By using Easy
>> Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and
>> easily setup your new PC
>> with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can
>> be productive on your
>> new PC right away.
>>
>> Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based
>> PC to a Windows
>> Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only
>> available for the US
>> market.

Windows Easy Transfer Companion is in Beta. Personally I think it's wiser
to reinstall apps from their original media (after checking to make sure the
apps are Vista compatible).

An alternate approach you might want to look at is LapLink's PCmover. I
haven't used it so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]