CPU at 100% - ZCfgSvc.exe is the culprit

=?Utf-8?B?VHdpbnNvbg==?=

CPU at 100% - ZCfgSvc.exe is the culprit
I've seen many posts on Vista chewing CPU performance, but don't know how to
solve the problem. My processor usage is constantly at 100%. When I go to
the processes section of Task Manager, it says ZCfgSvc.exe is using 80+%.
ZCfgSvc.exe is the driver for my Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG card. The are no
updates for this driver so I'm not sure whether it is the problem or in
conflict with another driver. The slow down is making my Dell laptop
virtually unusable, any help greatly appreciated!

I've also got a bunch of other Vista problems but I'll leave them to another
thread. I cannot believe I'm having such difficulties with Vista, what have
they been doing for 5 years!!
Kerry Brown

Re: CPU at 100% - ZCfgSvc.exe is the culprit
Is this the driver you are using? It is dated 1/24/2007.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ems& lang=eng

Read the notice about using a driver from the laptop manufacturer being
preferred. I'd also check to see if dell has an update.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Twinson" <Twinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've seen many posts on Vista chewing CPU performance, but don't know how
> solve the problem. My processor usage is constantly at 100%. When I go
> the processes section of Task Manager, it says ZCfgSvc.exe is using 80+%.
> ZCfgSvc.exe is the driver for my Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG card. The are
> no
> updates for this driver so I'm not sure whether it is the problem or in
> conflict with another driver. The slow down is making my Dell laptop
> virtually unusable, any help greatly appreciated!
>
> I've also got a bunch of other Vista problems but I'll leave them to
> another
> thread. I cannot believe I'm having such difficulties with Vista, what
> have
> they been doing for 5 years!!

=?Utf-8?B?VHdpbnNvbg==?=

Re: CPU at 100% - ZCfgSvc.exe is the culprit
PROBLEM FIXED!!!! Now my PC seems almost runs faster than XP but I haven't
put it through it's paces yet. For those of you out there that have the same
problem, and I'm sure there'll be many, do the following:

1 - ZCfgSvc.exe is the proset wireless software from Intel and it's got
known compatibilities problems with Vista i.e. you're processor is stuck at
100%. You don't need this software at all and it automatically loads when
you start Windows so uninstall it.

2 - The great thing about Vista is that it clearly shows you the programs
being loaded on boot up. I knew the problem was this file, by looking at the
Processes tab of the Task Manager and when I saw that this program was also
being loaded on start up, it was easy to just delete it and remove the
problem.

2 - Make sure you have the latest wireless drivers on your system and as
Kerry points out, check with your computer manufacturer first before going to
the card manufacturers site.

3 - In my case, Dell hasn't released new drivers for my laptop on Vista
(Inspiron 9200), so I just installed the Intel ones and it seems fine, my
wireless card is the Intell Pro/Wireless 2200BG.

Hope this helps others out there.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Is this the driver you are using? It is dated 1/24/2007.
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ems& lang=eng
>
> Read the notice about using a driver from the laptop manufacturer being
> preferred. I'd also check to see if dell has an update.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Twinson" <Twinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've seen many posts on Vista chewing CPU performance, but don't know how
> > solve the problem. My processor usage is constantly at 100%. When I go
> > the processes section of Task Manager, it says ZCfgSvc.exe is using 80+%.
> > ZCfgSvc.exe is the driver for my Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG card. The are
> > no
> > updates for this driver so I'm not sure whether it is the problem or in
> > conflict with another driver. The slow down is making my Dell laptop
> > virtually unusable, any help greatly appreciated!
> >
> > I've also got a bunch of other Vista problems but I'll leave them to
> > another
> > thread. I cannot believe I'm having such difficulties with Vista, what
> > have
> > they been doing for 5 years!!

Kerry Brown

Re: CPU at 100% - ZCfgSvc.exe is the culprit
Glad to hear you got it working.