Unable to start Aero

=?Utf-8?B?TWhpbnNh?=

Unable to start Aero
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me. I have just installed a new copy
of Home Premium onto my system, which I had stripped down to the bare
essentials, disconnected extra HDDs and video capture cards. The install went
smoothly and the system received a 4.1 on the Windows Experience Index. The
graphics card received 5.9 for Desktop performance (Aero) and 4.9 for Gaming.
Quick spec:
CPU: AMD 64 4000 2.4GHz
Graphics: ATI X800 GT 256Mb
Memory: 2GB RAM
HDD: Maxtor 80GB

The trouble is, Aero isn't enabled and whatever I try, eg: trying the posted
registry tweaks etc, it will not turn on. The Windows Theme is set to Windows
Vista but in the Windows Color and Appearance, I do not have the option for
Vista Aero. Colur depth is set to 32bit with a screen resolution of 1024 X
768 with a refresh of 75.

I have discovered though, in the Events applet that the DWM has encountered
a fatal error with an event ID of 9020.

I have tried updating my Performance score but this fails to activate Aero.

Crazy thing is, it worked fine when I was beta testing RC1 and I really
like this capability.

Can anyone help.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Unable to start Aero
1. Go to Start > Help and Support
2. Type AERO in the Search box, press the Enter key.
3. Click on "Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mhinsa" wrote:

[...]

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9udHk=?=

Re: Unable to start Aero
Mhinsa,

Don't waste your time playing around with the MS or ATI drivers. No aero has
been available since RC2. I bugged this with MS and the reply was it would be
fixed in RTM. Yeah right!. More like let's get this ou the door now.

Temporary fix is to download ver 8.29 drivers from ATI. They are dated Sept
2. Download size 74.6 Mb. Go here
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...s-vista32.html

Also go to the Catalyst Crew feedback page. The more people that complain
may make them get off their backsides and fix the problem.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Go to Start > Help and Support
> 2. Type AERO in the Search box, press the Enter key.
> 3. Click on "Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero".
>

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>

> "Mhinsa" wrote:
>
> Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me. I have just installed a new copy
> of Home Premium onto my system, which I had stripped down to the bare
> essentials, disconnected extra HDDs and video capture cards. The install went
> smoothly and the system received a 4.1 on the Windows Experience Index. The
> graphics card received 5.9 for Desktop performance (Aero) and 4.9 for Gaming.
> Quick spec:
> CPU: AMD 64 4000 2.4GHz
> Graphics: ATI X800 GT 256Mb
> Memory: 2GB RAM
> HDD: Maxtor 80GB
>
> The trouble is, Aero isn't enabled and whatever I try, eg: trying the posted
> registry tweaks etc, it will not turn on. The Windows Theme is set to Windows
> Vista but in the Windows Color and Appearance, I do not have the option for
> Vista Aero. Colur depth is set to 32bit with a screen resolution of 1024 X
> 768 with a refresh of 75.
>
> I have discovered though, in the Events applet that the DWM has encountered
> a fatal error with an event ID of 9020.
>
> I have tried updating my Performance score but this fails to activate Aero.
>
> Crazy thing is, it worked fine when I was beta testing RC1 and I really
> like this capability.
>
> Can anyone help.

=?Utf-8?B?TWhpbnNh?=

Re: Unable to start Aero
Thanks,
I'll give it a go and get back to you.
Gotta say that the "Troubleshooting Aero" in Vista, is about as useful as an
ashtry on a motorcycle.

"Jonty" wrote:

> Mhinsa,
>
> Don't waste your time playing around with the MS or ATI drivers. No aero has
> been available since RC2. I bugged this with MS and the reply was it would be
> fixed in RTM. Yeah right!. More like let's get this ou the door now.
>
> Temporary fix is to download ver 8.29 drivers from ATI. They are dated Sept
> 2. Download size 74.6 Mb. Go here
> http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...s-vista32.html
>
> Also go to the Catalyst Crew feedback page. The more people that complain
> may make them get off their backsides and fix the problem.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > 1. Go to Start > Help and Support
> > 2. Type AERO in the Search box, press the Enter key.
> > 3. Click on "Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero".
> >

> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >

> > "Mhinsa" wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me. I have just installed a new copy
> > of Home Premium onto my system, which I had stripped down to the bare
> > essentials, disconnected extra HDDs and video capture cards. The install went
> > smoothly and the system received a 4.1 on the Windows Experience Index. The
> > graphics card received 5.9 for Desktop performance (Aero) and 4.9 for Gaming.
> > Quick spec:
> > CPU: AMD 64 4000 2.4GHz
> > Graphics: ATI X800 GT 256Mb
> > Memory: 2GB RAM
> > HDD: Maxtor 80GB
> >
> > The trouble is, Aero isn't enabled and whatever I try, eg: trying the posted
> > registry tweaks etc, it will not turn on. The Windows Theme is set to Windows
> > Vista but in the Windows Color and Appearance, I do not have the option for
> > Vista Aero. Colur depth is set to 32bit with a screen resolution of 1024 X
> > 768 with a refresh of 75.
> >
> > I have discovered though, in the Events applet that the DWM has encountered
> > a fatal error with an event ID of 9020.
> >
> > I have tried updating my Performance score but this fails to activate Aero.
> >
> > Crazy thing is, it worked fine when I was beta testing RC1 and I really
> > like this capability.
> >
> > Can anyone help.

=?Utf-8?B?TWhpbnNh?=

Re: Unable to start Aero
Thanks Jonty, your tip worked a treat. I now have Aero in full, glorious
technicolour. Microsoft take note. The ATI driver supplied with Vista is
BUGGY.
Thanks again Jonty

"Mhinsa" wrote:

> Thanks,
> I'll give it a go and get back to you.
> Gotta say that the "Troubleshooting Aero" in Vista, is about as useful as an
> ashtry on a motorcycle.
>
> "Jonty" wrote:
>
> > Mhinsa,
> >
> > Don't waste your time playing around with the MS or ATI drivers. No aero has
> > been available since RC2. I bugged this with MS and the reply was it would be
> > fixed in RTM. Yeah right!. More like let's get this ou the door now.
> >
> > Temporary fix is to download ver 8.29 drivers from ATI. They are dated Sept
> > 2. Download size 74.6 Mb. Go here
> > http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...s-vista32.html
> >
> > Also go to the Catalyst Crew feedback page. The more people that complain
> > may make them get off their backsides and fix the problem.
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Go to Start > Help and Support
> > > 2. Type AERO in the Search box, press the Enter key.
> > > 3. Click on "Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero".
> > >

> > > --
> > > Carey Frisch
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows - Shell/User
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >

> > > "Mhinsa" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me. I have just installed a new copy
> > > of Home Premium onto my system, which I had stripped down to the bare
> > > essentials, disconnected extra HDDs and video capture cards. The install went
> > > smoothly and the system received a 4.1 on the Windows Experience Index. The
> > > graphics card received 5.9 for Desktop performance (Aero) and 4.9 for Gaming.
> > > Quick spec:
> > > CPU: AMD 64 4000 2.4GHz
> > > Graphics: ATI X800 GT 256Mb
> > > Memory: 2GB RAM
> > > HDD: Maxtor 80GB
> > >
> > > The trouble is, Aero isn't enabled and whatever I try, eg: trying the posted
> > > registry tweaks etc, it will not turn on. The Windows Theme is set to Windows
> > > Vista but in the Windows Color and Appearance, I do not have the option for
> > > Vista Aero. Colur depth is set to 32bit with a screen resolution of 1024 X
> > > 768 with a refresh of 75.
> > >
> > > I have discovered though, in the Events applet that the DWM has encountered
> > > a fatal error with an event ID of 9020.
> > >
> > > I have tried updating my Performance score but this fails to activate Aero.
> > >
> > > Crazy thing is, it worked fine when I was beta testing RC1 and I really
> > > like this capability.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJv?=

Re: Unable to start Aero

"Jonty" wrote:

> Mhinsa,
>
> Don't waste your time playing around with the MS or ATI drivers. No aero has
> been available since RC2. I bugged this with MS and the reply was it would be
> fixed in RTM. Yeah right!. More like let's get this ou the door now.
>
> Temporary fix is to download ver 8.29 drivers from ATI. They are dated Sept
> 2. Download size 74.6 Mb. Go here
> http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...s-vista32.html
>
> Also go to the Catalyst Crew feedback page. The more people that complain
> may make them get off their backsides and fix the problem.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > 1. Go to Start > Help and Support
> > 2. Type AERO in the Search box, press the Enter key.
> > 3. Click on "Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero".
> >

> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User

THANK YOU JONTY. Fixed my Aero and 3D problems!!!
Donald McDaniel

Re: Unable to start Aero
"Mhinsa" <Mhinsa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Jonty, your tip worked a treat. I now have Aero in full, glorious
> technicolour. Microsoft take note. The ATI driver supplied with Vista is
> BUGGY.
> Thanks again Jonty
>
> "Mhinsa" wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>> I'll give it a go and get back to you.
>> Gotta say that the "Troubleshooting Aero" in Vista, is about as useful as
>> an
>> ashtry on a motorcycle.
>>
>> "Jonty" wrote:
>>
>> > Mhinsa,
>> >
>> > Don't waste your time playing around with the MS or ATI drivers. No
>> > aero has
>> > been available since RC2. I bugged this with MS and the reply was it
>> > would be
>> > fixed in RTM. Yeah right!. More like let's get this ou the door now.
>> >
>> > Temporary fix is to download ver 8.29 drivers from ATI. They are dated
>> > Sept
>> > 2. Download size 74.6 Mb. Go here
>> > http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...s-vista32.html
>> >
>> > Also go to the Catalyst Crew feedback page. The more people that
>> > complain
>> > may make them get off their backsides and fix the problem.

Wouldn't you know, the ATI driver supplied with Vista seems to work better
than installing the newest Catalyst Drivers. In fact, after installing the
newest drivers, I had to roll back to the previous installed driver from
Microsoft, the machine became so unstable.

Anyway, I've never had problems with Aero since using Vista (either in Beta
using an Apple Intel iMac 17" or the copy I just purchased for my Dell).

My current setup:
Vista Home Premium (System Builder Kit)
Dell Dimension E520, w/1.83ghz Core2 Duo CPU (Intel 6300)
2GB System RAM -- PC6600 Dell (4x512 matching).
1024mhz Front-side Bus.
ATI x1300 Pro w/256MB FAST VRAM (not shared memory), twin heads: DVI, VGA
Two Dell LCDs (Default DVI = Dell 20" Wide Screen -- 1680x1050x32bit. VGA =
Dell 19" -- 1280x1024x32bit
250GB SATA-II HD, 160GB SATA-II HD.
SanDisk Cruzer (4GB) Thumb Drive (half given to ReadyBoost Cache).

=?Utf-8?B?TWVyY3VyeQ==?=

Re: Unable to start Aero