System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet

=?Utf-8?B?YWNvb2s=?=

System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet
I'm using Vista upgrade, clean install. Because I'm having so many problems
with Vista I keep creating Restore Points.
Sometimes it takes minutes for System Restore to open.
When I create a new restore point, System Protection crashes after it says
it has successfully created a new restore point.
This is my third install of Vista. XP is looking pretty darned good.
I have been trying to configure Vista to work optimally for three days now.
I have lost 6 pounds due to my obsession with this.
If you want a good diet, get on the Vista diet! I have never has so many
problems with a Microsoft product as I have with Vista.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet
Can you describe what "System Protection crashes" means? Are you getting
error messages?

"acook" <acook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista upgrade, clean install. Because I'm having so many
> problems
> with Vista I keep creating Restore Points.
> Sometimes it takes minutes for System Restore to open.
> When I create a new restore point, System Protection crashes after it says
> it has successfully created a new restore point.
> This is my third install of Vista. XP is looking pretty darned good.
> I have been trying to configure Vista to work optimally for three days
> now.
> I have lost 6 pounds due to my obsession with this.
> If you want a good diet, get on the Vista diet! I have never has so many
> problems with a Microsoft product as I have with Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?YWNvb2s=?=

Re: System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet
System Protection: Not responding. I have to kill it with task manager.
This is very perplexing. System Restore, when opened for the first time
after a boot takes forever to open, however once it has opened once, it
opens quicker the next time. Any suggestions.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you describe what "System Protection crashes" means? Are you getting
> error messages?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "acook" <acook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Vista upgrade, clean install. Because I'm having so many
> > problems
> > with Vista I keep creating Restore Points.
> > Sometimes it takes minutes for System Restore to open.
> > When I create a new restore point, System Protection crashes after it says
> > it has successfully created a new restore point.
> > This is my third install of Vista. XP is looking pretty darned good.
> > I have been trying to configure Vista to work optimally for three days
> > now.
> > I have lost 6 pounds due to my obsession with this.
> > If you want a good diet, get on the Vista diet! I have never has so many
> > problems with a Microsoft product as I have with Vista.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet
This turns out to be a known bug. The only workaround is to wait--don't kill
the System Protection process (this isn't a crash).

Can you give me a rundown of your hardware? Specifically, let me know: CPU
type (P4, Athlon, Celeron) and speed, memory size and type (SDR, DDR, DDR2),
hard disk size and RPM (4200, 5400, 7200, 10000).

> System Protection: Not responding. I have to kill it with task manager.
> This is very perplexing. System Restore, when opened for the first time
> after a boot takes forever to open, however once it has opened once, it
> opens quicker the next time. Any suggestions.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Can you describe what "System Protection crashes" means? Are you getting
>> error messages?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "acook" <acook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm using Vista upgrade, clean install. Because I'm having so many
>> > problems
>> > with Vista I keep creating Restore Points.
>> > Sometimes it takes minutes for System Restore to open.
>> > When I create a new restore point, System Protection crashes after it
>> > says
>> > it has successfully created a new restore point.
>> > This is my third install of Vista. XP is looking pretty darned good.
>> > I have been trying to configure Vista to work optimally for three days
>> > now.
>> > I have lost 6 pounds due to my obsession with this.
>> > If you want a good diet, get on the Vista diet! I have never has so
>> > many
>> > problems with a Microsoft product as I have with Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?YWNvb2s=?=

Re: System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet
2.0 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Processor ML-37 with PowerNow!™ Technology
1MB L2 Cache
2048MB 333MHz DDR System Memory (2 Dimm)
120GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive

And here I thought I was going crazy.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> This turns out to be a known bug. The only workaround is to wait--don't kill
> the System Protection process (this isn't a crash).
>
> Can you give me a rundown of your hardware? Specifically, let me know: CPU
> type (P4, Athlon, Celeron) and speed, memory size and type (SDR, DDR, DDR2),
> hard disk size and RPM (4200, 5400, 7200, 10000).

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "acook" <acook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > System Protection: Not responding. I have to kill it with task manager.
> > This is very perplexing. System Restore, when opened for the first time
> > after a boot takes forever to open, however once it has opened once, it
> > opens quicker the next time. Any suggestions.
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you describe what "System Protection crashes" means? Are you getting
> >> error messages?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore slow to start, get on the Vista diet
No, no, not crazy! Give the system time to finish. I will let you know if I
find any more info about this bug.