System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition

=?Utf-8?B?bW1k?=

System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
I have a new install of Vista, but am unable to use system Restore. It does
not create restore points automatically and when I try and create a manual
one the following error is displayed:
"The Restore point could not be created for the following reason:
Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other system
components. for more information view the event log. (0x81000109)
Please try again"

The Log shows the following:

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3. hr =
0x00000000.

Operation:
OnIdentify event
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Execution Context: ASR Writer
Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
Writer Name: ASR Writer
Writer Instance ID: {9a1aabd1-e11f-43b2-8c45-fbd360e3b32c}

I would be grateful if someone could help.

Thanks

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
We'd like to gather some log files and screenshots from you. Will you
contact me via email? (Remove "online" from my address).

Thanks!

"mmd" <mmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new install of Vista, but am unable to use system Restore. It
>does
> not create restore points automatically and when I try and create a manual
> one the following error is displayed:
> "The Restore point could not be created for the following reason:
> Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other system
> components. for more information view the event log. (0x81000109)
> Please try again"
>
> The Log shows the following:
>
> Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3. hr =
> 0x00000000.
>
> Operation:
> OnIdentify event
> Gathering Writer Data
>
> Context:
> Execution Context: ASR Writer
> Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
> Writer Name: ASR Writer
> Writer Instance ID: {9a1aabd1-e11f-43b2-8c45-fbd360e3b32c}
>
> I would be grateful if someone could help.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?cGF1bmNoeTE5NzU=?=

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> We'd like to gather some log files and screenshots from you. Will you
> contact me via email? (Remove "online" from my address).
>
> Thanks!

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "mmd" <mmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new install of Vista, but am unable to use system Restore. It
> >does
> > not create restore points automatically and when I try and create a manual
> > one the following error is displayed:
> > "The Restore point could not be created for the following reason:
> > Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other system
> > components. for more information view the event log. (0x81000109)
> > Please try again"
> >
> > The Log shows the following:
> >
> > Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3. hr =
> > 0x00000000.
> >
> > Operation:
> > OnIdentify event
> > Gathering Writer Data
> >
> > Context:
> > Execution Context: ASR Writer
> > Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
> > Writer Name: ASR Writer
> > Writer Instance ID: {9a1aabd1-e11f-43b2-8c45-fbd360e3b32c}
> >
> > I would be grateful if someone could help.
> >
> > Thanks

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
Please send me an email so I can follow up with you offline. Remove "online"
from my address.
Thanks!

"paunchy1975" <paunchy1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> We'd like to gather some log files and screenshots from you. Will you
>> contact me via email? (Remove "online" from my address).
>>
>> Thanks!

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "mmd" <mmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a new install of Vista, but am unable to use system Restore. It
>> >does
>> > not create restore points automatically and when I try and create a
>> > manual
>> > one the following error is displayed:
>> > "The Restore point could not be created for the following reason:
>> > Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other
>> > system
>> > components. for more information view the event log. (0x81000109)
>> > Please try again"
>> >
>> > The Log shows the following:
>> >
>> > Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3. hr =
>> > 0x00000000.
>> >
>> > Operation:
>> > OnIdentify event
>> > Gathering Writer Data
>> >
>> > Context:
>> > Execution Context: ASR Writer
>> > Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
>> > Writer Name: ASR Writer
>> > Writer Instance ID: {9a1aabd1-e11f-43b2-8c45-fbd360e3b32c}
>> >
>> > I would be grateful if someone could help.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Maf-Kees

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Please send me an email so I can follow up with you offline. Remove
> "online" from my address.
> Thanks!

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "paunchy1975" <paunchy1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well.

Quote: "I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well"

(proces = C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe; beschrijving = Vista
Manager v1.0.7 System-Restore Point(First Start); Hr = 0x81000109).

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
We know what the issue is now. There are a couple of buggy BIOSes which
change the disk enumeration order based on the presence of a bootable DVD.
As one customer reported, when he boots with DVD in drive it works, but when
the DVD is not in the drive, System Restore doesn't work.

Is your BIOS up-to-date?

"Maf-Kees" <maf-kees@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> Please send me an email so I can follow up with you offline. Remove
>> "online" from my address.
>> Thanks!

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "paunchy1975" <paunchy1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well.
>>>

> Quote: "I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well"
>
> (proces = C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe; beschrijving = Vista
> Manager v1.0.7 System-Restore Point(First Start); Hr = 0x81000109).

Maf-Kees

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
Bios is up2date:
Version ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1303

Volume Shadow Copy-service: ASR writer Error 0x80070015. hr = 0x00000000.
Context:
Uitvoeringscontext: ASR Writer
Klasse-id van schrijver: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
Naam van schrijver: ASR Writer
Instantie-id van schrijver: {1e1c0541-715d-4271-baed-24c3cac50b5d}

Yesterday, my user profile was damaged, but it has restored itself with
reboting, thank God!
Scary moment :-/ ASR would give some more comfort?

Tnx,

Mk
I'll try boot with dvd's inside the drives, but...

> We know what the issue is now. There are a couple of buggy BIOSes which
> change the disk enumeration order based on the presence of a bootable DVD.
> As one customer reported, when he boots with DVD in drive it works, but
> when the DVD is not in the drive, System Restore doesn't work.
>
> Is your BIOS up-to-date?
>
>>> "paunchy1975" <paunchy1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>> Quote: "I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well"
>>
>> (proces = C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe; beschrijving = Vista
>> Manager v1.0.7 System-Restore Point(First Start); Hr = 0x81000109).

=?Utf-8?B?U3Zlbg==?=

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
You can add me to the list. I also have this issue.
Config: Ultimate 32bit, Intel D975XBX with latest BIOS.
HDD connected to ICH7R with latest Intel Driver in Raid mode.

Please let me know if you need my LOG file as well.

Regards,
Sven

"Maf-Kees" wrote:

> I will do as soon as i'm back from work,
>
> Tnx,
>
> MK
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > Though the error message is the same, we think you're seeing a different
> > issue. Can you do the following steps and email me the log file?
> >
> > Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Asr,
> > create a new key called LogFileSetting
> >
> > Under LogFileSetting, create a new DWORD value called EnableLogging.
> > Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter 00000001
> > (hexadecimal) or 1 (decimal)
> >
> > Under LogFileSetting, create a new String value called LogPathName.
> > Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter C:\asr.log
> >
> > Now, reproduce the problem and send me the resulting asr.log file. When
> > you are done, delete the registry entry you created.
> >
> > Also, can you send me a screenshot of your Disk Management screen? Please
> > use my email address minus "online."
> >
> > Thank you!
> >

> > --
> > rights.
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "Maf-Kees" <maf-kees@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> >> Bios is up2date:
> >> Version ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1303
> >>
> >> Volume Shadow Copy-service: ASR writer Error 0x80070015. hr =
> >> 0x00000000.
> >> Context:
> >> Uitvoeringscontext: ASR Writer
> >> Klasse-id van schrijver: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
> >> Naam van schrijver: ASR Writer
> >> Instantie-id van schrijver: {1e1c0541-715d-4271-baed-24c3cac50b5d}
> >>
> >> Yesterday, my user profile was damaged, but it has restored itself with
> >> reboting, thank God!
> >> Scary moment :-/ ASR would give some more comfort?
> >>
> >> Tnx,
> >>
> >> Mk
> >> I'll try boot with dvd's inside the drives, but...
> >>

> >> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Maf-Kees

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
Found my problem here:
A device called:
Direct Access Device USB Device USB
disabled a working (a)sr.

Digitus DA-70148 USB2.0 to IDE and SATA. Support 1,8"/2,5"/3,5" IDE and
Serial ATA Harddisks

Still interrested in asr.log?

Tnx!

MK

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Though the error message is the same, we think you're seeing a different
> issue. Can you do the following steps and email me the log file?
>
> Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Asr,
> create a new key called LogFileSetting
>
> Under LogFileSetting, create a new DWORD value called EnableLogging.
> Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter 00000001
> (hexadecimal) or 1 (decimal)
>
> Under LogFileSetting, create a new String value called LogPathName.
> Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter C:\asr.log
>
> Now, reproduce the problem and send me the resulting asr.log file. When
> you are done, delete the registry entry you created.
>
> Also, can you send me a screenshot of your Disk Management screen? Please
> use my email address minus "online."
>
> Thank you!

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Maf-Kees" <maf-kees@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Bios is up2date:
>> Version ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1303
>>
>> Volume Shadow Copy-service: ASR writer Error 0x80070015. hr =
>> 0x00000000.
>> Context:
>> Uitvoeringscontext: ASR Writer
>> Klasse-id van schrijver: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
>> Naam van schrijver: ASR Writer
>> Instantie-id van schrijver: {1e1c0541-715d-4271-baed-24c3cac50b5d}
>>
>> Yesterday, my user profile was damaged, but it has restored itself with
>> reboting, thank God!
>> Scary moment :-/ ASR would give some more comfort?
>>
>> Tnx,
>>
>> Mk
>> I'll try boot with dvd's inside the drives, but...
>>

>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>>> We know what the issue is now. There are a couple of buggy BIOSes which
>>> change the disk enumeration order based on the presence of a bootable
>>> DVD.
>>> As one customer reported, when he boots with DVD in drive it works, but
>>> when the DVD is not in the drive, System Restore doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Is your BIOS up-to-date?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition
Just to close out this thread, a customer contacted me about 0x81000109
errors when trying to use the Backup program. Turns out he had a
disconnected SCSI drive that was showing up as "Offline" in Disk Management.
Disabling the driver for this drive fixed the problem.