100% CPU Usage

=?Utf-8?B?V3ltYW4=?=

100% CPU Usage
Using Process Explorer I determined that one of the following services
running in svchost.exe process is causing constant very high CPU usage:
Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, and wscsv. I stopped each of the
services except for the Eventlog. Eventlog would not stop because other
running services depend on it. There was no change to the high CPU usage.
Casting caution to the wind I killed the svchost.exe process. I received an
error popup stating "could not open the system event log." My CPU usage
plummeted, applications were responsive, and all was well.

I need advice on how to determine the source of this problem. Where would I
look in the event viewer?

The problem started after I "upgraded" an XP SP2 installation to Vista
Business. Hardware is more than adequate and works very well after killing
the svchost.exe.
=?Utf-8?B?RHlsYW5N?=

RE: 100% CPU Usage
I'm having the same issue, except it was an upgrade from XP SP2 to Vista Home
Premium.
=?Utf-8?B?VG9hc3Q=?=

RE: 100% CPU Usage
Like Dylan, I have almost the exact same issue. More often than not, the
problem will go away after while. If not, try deleting some major programs
that you usually don't need (i.e. Movie maker, some games, things you really
don't use), De-fragment, and then restart. If that doesn't help, you could
try disabling some programs from starting:

1) Go to RUN
2) Type in MSCONFIG
3) Go to the STARTUP tab
4) Un-check all of the programs you want to disable.
5) Click OK, then restart.

All should go well after this.

"DylanM" wrote:

> I'm having the same issue, except it was an upgrade from XP SP2 to Vista Home
> Premium.

mikeyhsd

Re: 100% CPU Usage
how about opening the event logs and trying to see were the reports are ..
might give a hint as to what the problem might be.
have patience, there are LOTS of logs.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B138AE4-D69E-428F-A3BF-4E35056552D3@microsoft.com...
[...]

I agree the answer is in the logs, but I'm having trouble interpretting them.
Any advice?

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> how about opening the event logs and trying to see were the reports are ..
> might give a hint as to what the problem might be.
> have patience, there are LOTS of logs.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B138AE4-D69E-428F-A3BF-4E35056552D3@microsoft.com...
> Using Process Explorer I determined that one of the following services
> running in svchost.exe process is causing constant very high CPU usage:
> Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, and wscsv. I stopped each of the
> services except for the Eventlog. Eventlog would not stop because other
> running services depend on it. There was no change to the high CPU usage.
> Casting caution to the wind I killed the svchost.exe process. I received an
> error popup stating "could not open the system event log." My CPU usage
> plummeted, applications were responsive, and all was well.
>
> I need advice on how to determine the source of this problem. Where would I
> look in the event viewer?
>
> The problem started after I "upgraded" an XP SP2 installation to Vista
> Business. Hardware is more than adequate and works very well after killing
> the svchost.exe

Kerry Brown

Re: 100% CPU Usage
Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Performance Information and Tools -
Advanced Tools

On this screen at the top there may be some hints as to what is causing
performance problems. You can also access many tools here to help diagnose
problems.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Process Explorer I determined that one of the following services
> running in svchost.exe process is causing constant very high CPU usage:
> Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, and wscsv. I stopped each of the
> services except for the Eventlog. Eventlog would not stop because other
> running services depend on it. There was no change to the high CPU usage.
> Casting caution to the wind I killed the svchost.exe process. I received
> an
> error popup stating "could not open the system event log." My CPU usage
> plummeted, applications were responsive, and all was well.
>
> I need advice on how to determine the source of this problem. Where would
> look in the event viewer?
>
> The problem started after I "upgraded" an XP SP2 installation to Vista
> Business. Hardware is more than adequate and works very well after
> killing
> the svchost.exe.

=?Utf-8?B?V3ltYW4=?=

Re: 100% CPU Usage
Kerry,

Thanks for the advice. I generated a system health report and was warned
that:

Process svchost.exe [ProcessId: 940] has a high CPU consumption of 77.8%.

I can find no information beyond that included in my initial post. I tried
using the event viewer and filtering all events by process ID (940 in this
case) with no results.

I could do a clean install but would rather solve this problem.

Thanks,
Chris Konrad
---

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Performance Information and Tools -
> Advanced Tools
>
> On this screen at the top there may be some hints as to what is causing
> performance problems. You can also access many tools here to help diagnose
> problems.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using Process Explorer I determined that one of the following services
> > running in svchost.exe process is causing constant very high CPU usage:
> > Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, and wscsv. I stopped each of the
> > services except for the Eventlog. Eventlog would not stop because other
> > running services depend on it. There was no change to the high CPU usage.
> > Casting caution to the wind I killed the svchost.exe process. I received
> > an
> > error popup stating "could not open the system event log." My CPU usage
> > plummeted, applications were responsive, and all was well.
> >
> > I need advice on how to determine the source of this problem. Where would
> > look in the event viewer?
> >
> > The problem started after I "upgraded" an XP SP2 installation to Vista
> > Business. Hardware is more than adequate and works very well after
> > killing
> > the svchost.exe.

=?Utf-8?B?V3ltYW4=?=

Re: 100% CPU Usage
Some progress. After disabling the service "Eventlog" (windows event log)
and rebooting I have normal CPU usage indications. The adventure continues.

Chris Konrad

"Wyman" wrote:

> Kerry,
>
> Thanks for the advice. I generated a system health report and was warned
> that:
>
> Process svchost.exe [ProcessId: 940] has a high CPU consumption of 77.8%.
>
> I can find no information beyond that included in my initial post. I tried
> using the event viewer and filtering all events by process ID (940 in this
> case) with no results.
>
> I could do a clean install but would rather solve this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Konrad
> ---
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Performance Information and Tools -
> > Advanced Tools
> >
> > On this screen at the top there may be some hints as to what is causing
> > performance problems. You can also access many tools here to help diagnose
> > problems.
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> > http://www.vistahelp.ca
> >

> > "Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Using Process Explorer I determined that one of the following services
> > > running in svchost.exe process is causing constant very high CPU usage:
> > > Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, and wscsv. I stopped each of the
> > > services except for the Eventlog. Eventlog would not stop because other
> > > running services depend on it. There was no change to the high CPU usage.
> > > Casting caution to the wind I killed the svchost.exe process. I received
> > > an
> > > error popup stating "could not open the system event log." My CPU usage
> > > plummeted, applications were responsive, and all was well.
> > >
> > > I need advice on how to determine the source of this problem. Where would
> > > look in the event viewer?
> > >
> > > The problem started after I "upgraded" an XP SP2 installation to Vista
> > > Business. Hardware is more than adequate and works very well after
> > > killing
> > > the svchost.exe.

=?Utf-8?B?RHlsYW5N?=

Re: 100% CPU Usage
Figured out my problem too! It was the damn Linksys WMP11 PCI wireless card.
Uninstalled and replaced it with a WMP54G and the system is screaming fast
(feels like it anyway... =)
Kerry Brown

Re: 100% CPU Usage
Process Explorer is a great help figuring out stuff like this.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User