100% CPU Usage

=?Utf-8?B?V3ltYW4=?=

Re: 100% CPU Usage
I agree. It has been very helpful. At present I can achieve normal CPU
usage by killing the SVCHOST process. Stopping the individual services
within the process (as noted in earlier post) did not have any impact on CPU
load. The only service I could not stop was the windows event log. This
leads me to believe that the event log service is causing the problem.
However, after killing the SVCHOST process I restart the windows event log
and CPU load remains low. I can work around this by preventing the event log
service from starting, but there must be a more elegant solution.

Chris Konrad

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Process Explorer is a great help figuring out stuff like this.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kerry,
> >
> > Thanks for the advice. I generated a system health report and was warned
> > that:
> >
> > Process svchost.exe [ProcessId: 940] has a high CPU consumption of 77.8%.
> >
> > I can find no information beyond that included in my initial post. I
> > tried
> > using the event viewer and filtering all events by process ID (940 in this
> > case) with no results.
> >
> > I could do a clean install but would rather solve this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris Konrad
> > ---
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Performance Information and
> >> Tools -
> >> Advanced Tools
> >>
> >> On this screen at the top there may be some hints as to what is causing
> >> performance problems. You can also access many tools here to help
> >> diagnose
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca

n2fc is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 100% CPU Usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?V3ltYW4=?= View Post

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Process Explorer is a great help figuring out stuff like this.
>
> Process Explorer
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> VistaHelp.ca - Home Page
>

> "Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kerry,
> >
> > Thanks for the advice. I generated a system health report and was warned
> > that:
> >
> > Process svchost.exe [ProcessId: 940] has a high CPU consumption of 77.8%.
> >
> > I can find no information beyond that included in my initial post. I
> > tried
> > using the event viewer and filtering all events by process ID (940 in this
> > case) with no results.
> >
> > I could do a clean install but would rather solve this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris Konrad
> > ---
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Performance Information and
> >> Tools -
> >> Advanced Tools
> >>
> >> On this screen at the top there may be some hints as to what is causing
> >> performance problems. You can also access many tools here to help
> >> diagnose
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >> VistaHelp.ca - Home Page
> >>

> >> "Wyman" <Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I, too, was presented with a Dell laptop with Vista Ultimate and the same symptoms...

All updates were current (post SP1)...

Original svchost that had the high CPU contained DHCP, AudioSRV, wscsvc, TCP/Netbios, and EventLog...

Experimentation showed it was EventLog svc that was the culprit...

Setting that service to disable to prevent it running has made the system usable again, but I would like to find out if their is a repair available for this as the PC will never run the event logger anymore!

THANKS!

Cozzamara is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 100% CPU Usage
I had the same problem with x64 Vista machine for long time and just wanted to share solution that helped me, which was Service Pack 2.

Almost every time my computer came up (from sleep or rebooted), I had to follow bizarre ritual in order to get network connectivity (wired or wireless):
  1. Start Process Explorer and find SERVICES.EXE process eating about 50% of CPU with AUDIODG.EXE as child process. (it typically hosted hosted DHCP, Event Log and Windows Audio services).
  2. Kill that process
  3. Re-Start DHCP service
As a result of this, I usually got back network connectivity, but most of the time I lost all audio until reboot (re-starting Windows Audio service had no effect).

I traced the problem down to Windows Event Log service, but there was no further solution or leads. Disabling this service doesn't really help, as it causes too many other problems.

Just as I was ready to blow entire Vista and install Windows 7, I tried Vista SP2, and it completely cured the problem - and I waited a couple of weeks before posting this to make sure it works.