Low disk space

FF''s mom

Low disk space
My computer keeps telling me that my recovery D: is low. I have done a disk
scan. I know this is stupid, but what is the problem? I ordered a book on
Vista, but it isn't here yet. So I am lost...
Richard G. Harper

Re: Low disk space
It means what it says - your D: drive is nearly full. That's entirely
normal on most systems since this drive only takes up enough space to
contain the restore files that are necessary to reinstall Windows on your PC
should that become necessary.

"FF''s mom" <FFsmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer keeps telling me that my recovery D: is low. I have done a
> disk
> scan. I know this is stupid, but what is the problem? I ordered a book on
> Vista, but it isn't here yet. So I am lost...

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Low disk space
The Vista book would not tell you about this. You have saved data to your
recovery drive and filled it up.

The recovery drive is not supposed to have anything on it other than what
the manufacturer put there. Remove any files you have saved to it, and the
message will go away.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"FF''s mom" <FFsmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer keeps telling me that my recovery D: is low. I have done a
> disk
> scan. I know this is stupid, but what is the problem? I ordered a book on
> Vista, but it isn't here yet. So I am lost...

Michael Walraven

Re: Low disk space
You are the victim of a stupid setup by the maker of your computer.
The recovery partition (currently D on your machine is placed there by the
hardware maker to provide a way for you to 'recover' you machine to the
condition it was in when you purchased it. That includes destroying all of
your personal data and programs you have installed since your got the
machine.

When they set it up they should have hidden that partition, not given it a
drive name as they did.

You have two options, ignore the error, or remove the drive name from that
partition.
I recommend you remove the drive name, but it depends on how comfortable you
are with mucking around with your machine. The change is reversible and does
not affect the ability to 'recover' your machine if necessary.

Open 'Computer Management'
left click on the start orb in lower left, type
computer management
in the white box. At the top of the list that is generated should be
'Computer Management', click on it.
Give permission
Under 'Storage' click on 'Disk Management' will take a few seconds
in the display for Disk 0 you will see two or three segments, one will be
labeled D: and should be small (<10GB or so).
Right click on this segment and select 'change drive letter and paths'
You will be permitted to change or remove the drive letter assigned to this
segment. What you want to do is remove the the drive letter D:
This only changes the drive letter, now that there is no drive letter
associated with this partition Vista will no longer see the partition as
anything useful to it and will quit nattering at you. You can reverse this
change, it does not remove the partition!

Michael
Vista Home premium

"FF''s mom" <FFsmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer keeps telling me that my recovery D: is low. I have done a
> disk
> scan. I know this is stupid, but what is the problem? I ordered a book on
> Vista, but it isn't here yet. So I am lost...

Todd

Re: Low disk space
I have this same problem, Two months after getting my laptop, Vista had
filled up the D:Recovery drive with Recovery and Backup Files. Have tried
numerous times to remove old recovery files to free up disk space, it seems
that the old recovery files get removes but the drive is still full after
doing this. Even going in and manually deleting every backup, only 1Gig of
space was available and this was not even enough to do another
backup................................Does anyone know what is taking up the
other 9Gig of drive space? (I have not saved anything to this drive other
than backup files)..................................Love Vista and Gateway

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> You are the victim of a stupid setup by the maker of your computer.
> The recovery partition (currently D on your machine is placed there by the
> hardware maker to provide a way for you to 'recover' you machine to the
> condition it was in when you purchased it. That includes destroying all of
> your personal data and programs you have installed since your got the
> machine.
>
> When they set it up they should have hidden that partition, not given it a
> drive name as they did.
>
> You have two options, ignore the error, or remove the drive name from that
> partition.
> I recommend you remove the drive name, but it depends on how comfortable you
> are with mucking around with your machine. The change is reversible and does
> not affect the ability to 'recover' your machine if necessary.
>
> Open 'Computer Management'
> left click on the start orb in lower left, type
> computer management
> in the white box. At the top of the list that is generated should be
> 'Computer Management', click on it.
> Give permission
> Under 'Storage' click on 'Disk Management' will take a few seconds
> in the display for Disk 0 you will see two or three segments, one will be
> labeled D: and should be small (<10GB or so).
> Right click on this segment and select 'change drive letter and paths'
> You will be permitted to change or remove the drive letter assigned to this
> segment. What you want to do is remove the the drive letter D:
> This only changes the drive letter, now that there is no drive letter
> associated with this partition Vista will no longer see the partition as
> anything useful to it and will quit nattering at you. You can reverse this
> change, it does not remove the partition!
>

> Michael
> Vista Home premium
>
> "FF''s mom" <FFsmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer keeps telling me that my recovery D: is low. I have done a
> > disk
> > scan. I know this is stupid, but what is the problem? I ordered a book on
> > Vista, but it isn't here yet. So I am lost...

Knitting Forever

Re: Low disk space
I was having this same problem. Thank you for the very good instructions.
--
Still Knitting