Slow Decompression (.ZIP)

=?Utf-8?B?RGVyZW4gU21pdGg=?=

Slow Decompression (.ZIP)
For whatever reason unzipping a file under vista is very very slow. Using
Vista it took me over 20 seconds to decompress a 143K file!? This is mind
boggling, because in Windows XP unzipping such a small file size is nearly
instant.

This isn't just on my home computer, but also on my work computer which is
running Vista too (both Unlimited edition). However, when I used a 3rd party
software program called "WinRAR", I got decompression and compression speeds
that run circles around Vista. Does anyone know why decompressing files in
Vista is so painfully slow?
Byron Hinson

Re: Slow Decompression (.ZIP)
This is a problem I myself and many others have noticed, hopefully it'll get
fixed in the future. It's a nightmare when certain games use decompression
with install routines.

--
Byron Hinson
ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com

"Deren Smith" <DerenSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For whatever reason unzipping a file under vista is very very slow. Using
> Vista it took me over 20 seconds to decompress a 143K file!? This is mind
> boggling, because in Windows XP unzipping such a small file size is nearly
> instant.
>
> This isn't just on my home computer, but also on my work computer which is
> running Vista too (both Unlimited edition). However, when I used a 3rd
> party
> software program called "WinRAR", I got decompression and compression
> speeds
> that run circles around Vista. Does anyone know why decompressing files
> in
> Vista is so painfully slow?

oooowen@gmail.com

Re: Slow Decompression (.ZIP)
On Feb 1, 8:17 pm, Deren Smith <DerenSm...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> For whatever reason unzipping a file under vista is very veryslow. Using
> Vista it took me over 20 seconds to decompress a 143K file!? This is mind
> boggling, because in Windows XP unzipping such a small file size is nearly
> instant.
>
> This isn't just on my home computer, but also on my work computer which is
> running Vista too (both Unlimited edition). However, when I used a 3rd party
> software program called "WinRAR", I got decompression and compression speeds
> that run circles around Vista. Does anyone know why decompressing files in
> Vista is so painfullyslow?

I am having the same problem. 20 minutes to uncompress a 6MB .zip
file! I always found .zip support in XP to be slower than 3rd party
applications, but this is ridiculous!

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kZWhhbGw=?=

Re: Slow Decompression (.ZIP)
Yes i have exactly the same problem. WinZip 11 has the same problem. Only
WinRAR seems to do the business. My OS is Vista Ultimate (upgraded from Home
Premium on a Vaio FE41Z.)