Vista Defrag schedule?

Lakesidezx

Vista Defrag schedule?
Im curious if this is possible.

It seems that I can modify the schedule for when defrag happens in Vista and
it's default settings on my computer is something like Wednesday at 1am but
I don't leave my computer on 24 hours a day and by 1am Im usually asleep.

So does Vista wake up my computer when it's off on wednesdays at 1am, defrag
everything, then shut it back down again?

I believe that in my bios I can tell the computer to start up at a certain
time which would be half of the situation by telling it to wake up at
12:50am on wendsday but is there a way to tell vistas defrag to shut the
computer down after it's defragged everything?

Thanks,

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista Defrag schedule?
why not just change the schedule to a time when you are usually using your computer.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:B90E7ECA-E49E-47CF-ABF0-E30149C7E32F@microsoft.com...
Im curious if this is possible.

It seems that I can modify the schedule for when defrag happens in Vista and
it's default settings on my computer is something like Wednesday at 1am but
I don't leave my computer on 24 hours a day and by 1am Im usually asleep.

So does Vista wake up my computer when it's off on wednesdays at 1am, defrag
everything, then shut it back down again?

I believe that in my bios I can tell the computer to start up at a certain
time which would be half of the situation by telling it to wake up at
12:50am on wendsday but is there a way to tell vistas defrag to shut the
computer down after it's defragged everything?

Thanks,

Dustin Harper

Re: Vista Defrag schedule?
If it's scheduled for 12am Wednesday and you have it off, it will start
when you turn your PC on after that time. So, you wake up Wednesday
morning at 10am and turn on your PC... That's when it will start.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

Lakesidezx wrote:
> Im curious if this is possible.
>
> It seems that I can modify the schedule for when defrag happens in Vista
> and it's default settings on my computer is something like Wednesday at
> 1am but I don't leave my computer on 24 hours a day and by 1am Im
> usually asleep.
>
> So does Vista wake up my computer when it's off on wednesdays at 1am,
> defrag everything, then shut it back down again?
>
> I believe that in my bios I can tell the computer to start up at a
> certain time which would be half of the situation by telling it to wake
> up at 12:50am on wendsday but is there a way to tell vistas defrag to
> shut the computer down after it's defragged everything?
>
> Thanks,

Lakesidezx

Re: Vista Defrag schedule?
Thanks,

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> If it's scheduled for 12am Wednesday and you have it off, it will start
> when you turn your PC on after that time. So, you wake up Wednesday
> morning at 10am and turn on your PC... That's when it will start.
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> Lakesidezx wrote:
>> Im curious if this is possible.
>>
>> It seems that I can modify the schedule for when defrag happens in Vista
>> and it's default settings on my computer is something like Wednesday at
>> 1am but I don't leave my computer on 24 hours a day and by 1am Im
>> usually asleep.
>>
>> So does Vista wake up my computer when it's off on wednesdays at 1am,
>> defrag everything, then shut it back down again?
>>
>> I believe that in my bios I can tell the computer to start up at a
>> certain time which would be half of the situation by telling it to wake
>> up at 12:50am on wendsday but is there a way to tell vistas defrag to
>> shut the computer down after it's defragged everything?
>>
>> Thanks,

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista Defrag schedule?
seems to be, works more in the background than in the past.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:38C31777-8405-47A5-A4B8-F00A65CE1525@microsoft.com...
[...]

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Defrag schedule?
Check out our FAQ for details on how Vista's defrag causes less impact to the user while running.

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...enter-faq.aspx

Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
[...]

Richard Urban

Re: Vista Defrag schedule?
Vista defrag is very different from that in WinXP. If you miss the scheduled
time, it will run upon the next boot. It runs in the background at very low
io usage and should not interfere with anything you are doing. Gamers, of
course, may want total control and choose not to schedule at all.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User