Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?

Spaz

Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
Ok, I bought Vista home edition at the store and it's the 32-bit version.
Inside the packaged they offer the 64-bit version for only 10 bucks. I have
the latest computer system which is capable of running the 64-bit version.
Is there really any advantage to doing so if I'm not running more than 2 gig
RAM?

LaRoux

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
Probably not. If you think you might want to go beyond 4gb before you want
to do a reinstall, it is certainly worth considering going x64 now.

"Spaz" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
news:K6CdnfQeQLzW2F_YnZ2dnUVZ_u2mnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Ok, I bought Vista home edition at the store and it's the 32-bit version.
> Inside the packaged they offer the 64-bit version for only 10 bucks. I
> have the latest computer system which is capable of running the 64-bit
> version. Is there really any advantage to doing so if I'm not running more
> than 2 gig RAM?

Troy McClure

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
for $10 why wouldnt you?

"Spaz" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
news:K6CdnfQeQLzW2F_YnZ2dnUVZ_u2mnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Ok, I bought Vista home edition at the store and it's the 32-bit version.
> Inside the packaged they offer the 64-bit version for only 10 bucks. I
> have the latest computer system which is capable of running the 64-bit
> version. Is there really any advantage to doing so if I'm not running more
> than 2 gig RAM?

Spaz

"Troy McClure" <k@k.com> wrote in message
> for $10 why wouldnt you?

That's exactly right, and it's the only reason I went ahead and ordered it.
It was pretty nice of Microsoft to offer that and I wonder why it's not more
widely advertised. It was a surprise to me when I opened the package. I
was just wondering if there was a better reason for getting it, because I
really have no need for more than 2 gigs of RAM for the next couple of years
and even if I do, the 32-bit version will handle 3 or 4 gigs of RAM very
nicely for me. Does the 64-bit version do anything more than just address
more RAM?

Ok, so for an extra 10 bucks, I get two separate copies of Vista. Good
enough!

LaRoux

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
There will certainly be more 64-bit only or enhanced apps to come in the
next couple of years, just not too many now. Expect things that have to move
a lot of data around to have x64 versions first. Games, Video, Photo
editors, database, Virtual Machines, etc. is what I would expect first.

"Spaz" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
news:2fudnX5uXeF5zl_YnZ2dnUVZ_uqvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> "Troy McClure" <k@k.com> wrote in message
>> for $10 why wouldnt you?

> That's exactly right, and it's the only reason I went ahead and ordered
> it. It was pretty nice of Microsoft to offer that and I wonder why it's
> not more widely advertised. It was a surprise to me when I opened the
> package. I was just wondering if there was a better reason for getting
> it, because I really have no need for more than 2 gigs of RAM for the next
> couple of years and even if I do, the 32-bit version will handle 3 or 4
> gigs of RAM very nicely for me. Does the 64-bit version do anything more
> than just address more RAM?
>
> Ok, so for an extra 10 bucks, I get two separate copies of Vista. Good
> enough!

Daniel Jameson

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
Hi,

Getting the disc for $10 is fine. But several threads in this newsgroup say
that you should use x64 only if you need to. It has a lot of restrictions
and driver issues that the 32-bit edition doesn't. Your stuff is more
likely to work with the 32-bit verison. Then in a couple years when you
need to reinstall Windows just to clean out the accumulated crud, you can
install the x64 version , and there should be alot better support from the
industry.

--
Daniel Jameson

"Spaz" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
news:K6CdnfQeQLzW2F_YnZ2dnUVZ_u2mnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Ok, I bought Vista home edition at the store and it's the 32-bit version.
> Inside the packaged they offer the 64-bit version for only 10 bucks. I
> have the latest computer system which is capable of running the 64-bit
> version. Is there really any advantage to doing so if I'm not running more
> than 2 gig RAM?

Bryan Foster

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
I was using 32 bit vista on my home pc, im using 32 bit vista on my business
pc right now. When I got the final release I installed the 64 bit just to
try it. I have seen no difference in the 2 really, but im only running 2 gb
of ram. BUT, the drivers are crap for 32 bit versions and they are equal
crap for 64 bit! END OF STORY! Go to nvidia.com, creative.com,
logitech.com, etc. They have drivers for both 32 & 64 bit, it has been no
problem getting 64 bit drivers, and I must say that nvidia has been the only
ones to offer "decent" drivers for us beta testers. Creative is now saying
march before there final drivers will be out. If your pc can run on windows
drivers, your all good, but dont run away from 64bit because of driver
problems, because if you require non-window drivers your going to have fun
with both 32 bit and 64 bit! Read around!

Side Note: Cheers to logitech, they got some drivers up yesterday I think,
for my mouse, but still none for my joystick. And the windows drivers on my
work pc are great, no problems at all!

"Daniel Jameson" <djameson@childrensoncologygroup.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Getting the disc for $10 is fine. But several threads in this newsgroup
> say that you should use x64 only if you need to. It has a lot of
> restrictions and driver issues that the 32-bit edition doesn't. Your
> stuff is more likely to work with the 32-bit verison. Then in a couple
> years when you need to reinstall Windows just to clean out the accumulated
> crud, you can install the x64 version , and there should be alot better
> support from the industry.
>
> --
> Daniel Jameson
>
> "Spaz" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
> news:K6CdnfQeQLzW2F_YnZ2dnUVZ_u2mnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Ok, I bought Vista home edition at the store and it's the 32-bit version.
>> Inside the packaged they offer the 64-bit version for only 10 bucks. I
>> have the latest computer system which is capable of running the 64-bit
>> version. Is there really any advantage to doing so if I'm not running
>> more than 2 gig RAM?

LaRoux

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
This has been my experience also. For what it's worth, no problems with x64
ATI drivers for months now. My test machine is somewhat generic but does
include a Hauppauge PVR 150, a crappy ECS mobo, both SATA and IDE drives. I
did stay away from the onboard RAID out of fear.

I guess the moral of the story is make a list of the hardware and software
you can't do without and verify that they are already compatible or that
compatible drivers exist before upgrading to either x86 or x64.

"Bryan Foster" <bryan@highlifter.com> wrote in message
>I was using 32 bit vista on my home pc, im using 32 bit vista on my
>business pc right now. When I got the final release I installed the 64 bit
>just to try it. I have seen no difference in the 2 really, but im only
>running 2 gb of ram. BUT, the drivers are crap for 32 bit versions and they
>are equal crap for 64 bit! END OF STORY! Go to nvidia.com, creative.com,
>logitech.com, etc. They have drivers for both 32 & 64 bit, it has been no
>problem getting 64 bit drivers, and I must say that nvidia has been the
>only ones to offer "decent" drivers for us beta testers. Creative is now
>saying march before there final drivers will be out. If your pc can run on
>windows drivers, your all good, but dont run away from 64bit because of
>driver problems, because if you require non-window drivers your going to
>have fun with both 32 bit and 64 bit! Read around!
>
> Side Note: Cheers to logitech, they got some drivers up yesterday I
> think, for my mouse, but still none for my joystick. And the windows
> drivers on my work pc are great, no problems at all!
>

> "Daniel Jameson" <djameson@childrensoncologygroup.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Getting the disc for $10 is fine. But several threads in this newsgroup
>> say that you should use x64 only if you need to. It has a lot of
>> restrictions and driver issues that the 32-bit edition doesn't. Your
>> stuff is more likely to work with the 32-bit verison. Then in a couple
>> years when you need to reinstall Windows just to clean out the
>> accumulated crud, you can install the x64 version , and there should be
>> alot better support from the industry.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Jameson
>>
>> "Spaz" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
>> news:K6CdnfQeQLzW2F_YnZ2dnUVZ_u2mnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>> Ok, I bought Vista home edition at the store and it's the 32-bit
>>> version. Inside the packaged they offer the 64-bit version for only 10
>>> bucks. I have the latest computer system which is capable of running
>>> the 64-bit version. Is there really any advantage to doing so if I'm not
>>> running more than 2 gig RAM?

=?Utf-8?B?anc=?=

"Spaz" wrote:

> "Troy McClure" <k@k.com> wrote in message
> > for $10 why wouldnt you?

> That's exactly right, and it's the only reason I went ahead and ordered it.
> It was pretty nice of Microsoft to offer that and I wonder why it's not more
> widely advertised. It was a surprise to me when I opened the package. I
> was just wondering if there was a better reason for getting it, because I
> really have no need for more than 2 gigs of RAM for the next couple of years
> and even if I do, the 32-bit version will handle 3 or 4 gigs of RAM very
> nicely for me. Does the 64-bit version do anything more than just address
> more RAM?
>
> Ok, so for an extra 10 bucks, I get two separate copies of Vista. Good
> enough!

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Should I order the 64-bit version of Vista?
Of course. Even if you store it at least you have it.