Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?=

Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
I am unable to backup anything in Windows Vista Ultimate. I am using the
Backup Files function in Vista to backup files to a local network location.
I can browse and find the location (e.g., "\\server\folder\") but when I
click <Next>, I get the error message…

The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)
Please ensure that the network location is valid.

There was no file there already and this error has occurred from the very
first try. However, folders are being created in the selected folder with
names like {5C0AF261-393F-4FC6-9496-2576C5A3772E}. All help is appreciated.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
Are you backing up to a NAS device?

"Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to backup anything in Windows Vista Ultimate. I am using the
> Backup Files function in Vista to backup files to a local network
> location.
> I can browse and find the location (e.g., "\\server\folder\") but when I
> click <Next>, I get the error message.
>
> The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:
> Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)
> Please ensure that the network location is valid.
>
> There was no file there already and this error has occurred from the very
> first try. However, folders are being created in the selected folder with
> names like {5C0AF261-393F-4FC6-9496-2576C5A3772E}. All help is
> appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?=

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
Yes, I am trying to backup to a NAS device.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are you backing up to a NAS device?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am unable to backup anything in Windows Vista Ultimate. I am using the
> > Backup Files function in Vista to backup files to a local network
> > location.
> > I can browse and find the location (e.g., "\\server\folder\") but when I
> > click <Next>, I get the error message.
> >
> > The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:
> > Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)
> > Please ensure that the network location is valid.
> >
> > There was no file there already and this error has occurred from the very
> > first try. However, folders are being created in the selected folder with
> > names like {5C0AF261-393F-4FC6-9496-2576C5A3772E}. All help is
> > appreciated.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
That's what I thought. Please see our FAQ at
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.
We cover this in the last question.

> Yes, I am trying to backup to a NAS device.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Are you backing up to a NAS device?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am unable to backup anything in Windows Vista Ultimate. I am using
>> >the
>> > Backup Files function in Vista to backup files to a local network
>> > location.
>> > I can browse and find the location (e.g., "\\server\folder\") but when
>> > click <Next>, I get the error message.
>> >
>> > The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:
>> > Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)
>> > Please ensure that the network location is valid.
>> >
>> > There was no file there already and this error has occurred from the
>> > very
>> > first try. However, folders are being created in the selected folder
>> > with
>> > names like {5C0AF261-393F-4FC6-9496-2576C5A3772E}. All help is
>> > appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?=

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
That article seems to address my problem. So, apparently my NAS device is
running a version of SAMBA that is too old and there is nothing I can do
until the manufacturer upgrades SAMBA. Correct? I have e-mailed the
manufacturer about this issue asking them to upgrade SAMBA.

Thanks!

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> That's what I thought. Please see our FAQ at
> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.
> We cover this in the last question.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I am trying to backup to a NAS device.
> >

> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you backing up to a NAS device?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
That's correct. I'd be interested in knowing about your hardware and SAMBA
version if you'll share it.

> That article seems to address my problem. So, apparently my NAS device is
> running a version of SAMBA that is too old and there is nothing I can do
> until the manufacturer upgrades SAMBA. Correct? I have e-mailed the
> manufacturer about this issue asking them to upgrade SAMBA.
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> That's what I thought. Please see our FAQ at
>> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.
>> We cover this in the last question.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, I am trying to backup to a NAS device.

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?=

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
QNAP TS-101 firmware v2.0.0.0105. I can't find the SAMBA version anywhere.
Otherwise, I am very happy with the TS-101.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> That's correct. I'd be interested in knowing about your hardware and SAMBA
> version if you'll share it.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That article seems to address my problem. So, apparently my NAS device is
> > running a version of SAMBA that is too old and there is nothing I can do
> > until the manufacturer upgrades SAMBA. Correct? I have e-mailed the
> > manufacturer about this issue asking them to upgrade SAMBA.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> That's what I thought. Please see our FAQ at
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.
> >> We cover this in the last question.
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?=

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
The manufacturer of the TS-101 responded with SAMBA version 3.0.10. Since
Microsoft's recommendation is version 3.x, what next? QNAP said they are
going to look into this further too.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> That's correct. I'd be interested in knowing about your hardware and SAMBA
> version if you'll share it.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That article seems to address my problem. So, apparently my NAS device is
> > running a version of SAMBA that is too old and there is nothing I can do
> > until the manufacturer upgrades SAMBA. Correct? I have e-mailed the
> > manufacturer about this issue asking them to upgrade SAMBA.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> That's what I thought. Please see our FAQ at
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.
> >> We cover this in the last question.
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
I passed this along to our developer. We're going to try to get a device
that matches yours for testing. I can't give you an ETA on a
resolution...your best bet is to work with QNAP.

> The manufacturer of the TS-101 responded with SAMBA version 3.0.10. Since
> Microsoft's recommendation is version 3.x, what next? QNAP said they are
> going to look into this further too.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> That's correct. I'd be interested in knowing about your hardware and
>> SAMBA
>> version if you'll share it.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Scottg" <Scottg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That article seems to address my problem. So, apparently my NAS device
>> > is
>> > running a version of SAMBA that is too old and there is nothing I can
>> > do
>> > until the manufacturer upgrades SAMBA. Correct? I have e-mailed the
>> > manufacturer about this issue asking them to upgrade SAMBA.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRn?=

Re: Unable to Backup Files with Error 800700B7
QNAP has notified me that they found the issue and are working to debug it.