Vista slowing down over time (20 min)

=?Utf-8?B?ZXljOTA4?=

Vista slowing down over time (20 min)
Basic functions such as directory navigation and even web browsing slow to a
grind after about 20 minutes of use of my Vista Ultimate. Most noteable are
the following slow-down issues:

1) Opening a folder such as "my documents" on a fresh restart will open
instantaneously. After about 20 minutes of use, it takes approximately 15
seconds just to open the folder. The same is true for most other
directories. Restarting temporarily fixes the problem -- for 20 minutes.

2) When browsing the internet upon a fresh restart, I can always type in
URLs in this form "www.blank.com" and it will immediately take me to the
page. But after 20 minutes of use, it will take approximately 15 seconds
before it will take me to that page. If I restart the computer, it works
just fine -- for 20 minutes.

3) Computer generally behaves sluggishly after 20 minutes of use.

INFO on my computer:

Recently I did a clean install on my machine with Vista Ultimate.
Afterwards, I installed all drivers and updates. Then I installed McAfee and
Office 2007 Ultimate - nothing more. I did not move any files onto the
computer other than about 5 word documents.

I have gone into msconfig and disabled all the startup items, including
McAfee, Microsoft Defense, and Microsoft Groove. This does not remedy the
problem.

Here are the specs on my computer:

IBM Thinkpad T41
Winodws Vista Ultimate
Intel Pentirum M prcessor 1.6 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
60 GB HD (35 GB free)
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i

Can anyone help me? I'm at my wit's end. Am I going to have to dump Vista?

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista slowing down over time (20 min)
have you allowed indexing to complete.
check Control Panel Indexing to see if it is done.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"eyc908" <eyc908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8617486-5C7D-40D9-BFEA-051CF7F48E0F@microsoft.com...
[...]

Oh. Wow. I feel like an idiot. The indexing is now done, and the problem is
gone. Thanks a lot for the tip mikeyhsd.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> have you allowed indexing to complete.
> check Control Panel Indexing to see if it is done.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "eyc908" <eyc908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8617486-5C7D-40D9-BFEA-051CF7F48E0F@microsoft.com...
> Basic functions such as directory navigation and even web browsing slow to a
> grind after about 20 minutes of use of my Vista Ultimate. Most noteable are
> the following slow-down issues:
>
> 1) Opening a folder such as "my documents" on a fresh restart will open
> instantaneously. After about 20 minutes of use, it takes approximately 15
> seconds just to open the folder. The same is true for most other
> directories. Restarting temporarily fixes the problem -- for 20 minutes.
>
> 2) When browsing the internet upon a fresh restart, I can always type in
> URLs in this form "www.blank.com" and it will immediately take me to the
> page. But after 20 minutes of use, it will take approximately 15 seconds
> before it will take me to that page. If I restart the computer, it works
> just fine -- for 20 minutes.
>
> 3) Computer generally behaves sluggishly after 20 minutes of use.
>
> INFO on my computer:
>
> Recently I did a clean install on my machine with Vista Ultimate.
> Afterwards, I installed all drivers and updates. Then I installed McAfee and
> Office 2007 Ultimate - nothing more. I did not move any files onto the
> computer other than about 5 word documents.
>
> I have gone into msconfig and disabled all the startup items, including
> McAfee, Microsoft Defense, and Microsoft Groove. This does not remedy the
> problem.
>
> Here are the specs on my computer:
>
> IBM Thinkpad T41
> Winodws Vista Ultimate
> Intel Pentirum M prcessor 1.6 GHz
> 1.5 GB RAM
> 60 GB HD (35 GB free)
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i
>
> Can anyone help me? I'm at my wit's end. Am I going to have to dump Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?ZXljOTA4?=

Re: Vista slowing down over time (20 min)
Wait a minute. No. The problem is happening again - intermittently. Is there
such a thing as a breaking in period with computer operating systems?

"eyc908" wrote:

> Oh. Wow. I feel like an idiot. The indexing is now done, and the problem is
> gone. Thanks a lot for the tip mikeyhsd.
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
> > have you allowed indexing to complete.
> > check Control Panel Indexing to see if it is done.
> >

> > mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
> >

> > "eyc908" <eyc908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8617486-5C7D-40D9-BFEA-051CF7F48E0F@microsoft.com...
> > Basic functions such as directory navigation and even web browsing slow to a
> > grind after about 20 minutes of use of my Vista Ultimate. Most noteable are
> > the following slow-down issues:
> >
> > 1) Opening a folder such as "my documents" on a fresh restart will open
> > instantaneously. After about 20 minutes of use, it takes approximately 15
> > seconds just to open the folder. The same is true for most other
> > directories. Restarting temporarily fixes the problem -- for 20 minutes.
> >
> > 2) When browsing the internet upon a fresh restart, I can always type in
> > URLs in this form "www.blank.com" and it will immediately take me to the
> > page. But after 20 minutes of use, it will take approximately 15 seconds
> > before it will take me to that page. If I restart the computer, it works
> > just fine -- for 20 minutes.
> >
> > 3) Computer generally behaves sluggishly after 20 minutes of use.
> >
> > INFO on my computer:
> >
> > Recently I did a clean install on my machine with Vista Ultimate.
> > Afterwards, I installed all drivers and updates. Then I installed McAfee and
> > Office 2007 Ultimate - nothing more. I did not move any files onto the
> > computer other than about 5 word documents.
> >
> > I have gone into msconfig and disabled all the startup items, including
> > McAfee, Microsoft Defense, and Microsoft Groove. This does not remedy the
> > problem.
> >
> > Here are the specs on my computer:
> >
> > IBM Thinkpad T41
> > Winodws Vista Ultimate
> > Intel Pentirum M prcessor 1.6 GHz
> > 1.5 GB RAM
> > 60 GB HD (35 GB free)
> > ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> > McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i
> >
> > Can anyone help me? I'm at my wit's end. Am I going to have to dump Vista?

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista slowing down over time (20 min)
you can always use Task Manager to see what it causing the problem NOW.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"eyc908" wrote:

> Oh. Wow. I feel like an idiot. The indexing is now done, and the problem is
> gone. Thanks a lot for the tip mikeyhsd.
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
> > have you allowed indexing to complete.
> > check Control Panel Indexing to see if it is done.
> >

> > mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
> >

> > "eyc908" <eyc908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8617486-5C7D-40D9-BFEA-051CF7F48E0F@microsoft.com...
> > Basic functions such as directory navigation and even web browsing slow to a
> > grind after about 20 minutes of use of my Vista Ultimate. Most noteable are
> > the following slow-down issues:
> >
> > 1) Opening a folder such as "my documents" on a fresh restart will open
> > instantaneously. After about 20 minutes of use, it takes approximately 15
> > seconds just to open the folder. The same is true for most other
> > directories. Restarting temporarily fixes the problem -- for 20 minutes.
> >
> > 2) When browsing the internet upon a fresh restart, I can always type in
> > URLs in this form "www.blank.com" and it will immediately take me to the
> > page. But after 20 minutes of use, it will take approximately 15 seconds
> > before it will take me to that page. If I restart the computer, it works
> > just fine -- for 20 minutes.
> >
> > 3) Computer generally behaves sluggishly after 20 minutes of use.
> >
> > INFO on my computer:
> >
> > Recently I did a clean install on my machine with Vista Ultimate.
> > Afterwards, I installed all drivers and updates. Then I installed McAfee and
> > Office 2007 Ultimate - nothing more. I did not move any files onto the
> > computer other than about 5 word documents.
> >
> > I have gone into msconfig and disabled all the startup items, including
> > McAfee, Microsoft Defense, and Microsoft Groove. This does not remedy the
> > problem.
> >
> > Here are the specs on my computer:
> >
> > IBM Thinkpad T41
> > Winodws Vista Ultimate
> > Intel Pentirum M prcessor 1.6 GHz
> > 1.5 GB RAM
> > 60 GB HD (35 GB free)
> > ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> > McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i
> >
> > Can anyone help me? I'm at my wit's end. Am I going to have to dump Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?ZXljOTA4?=

Re: Vista slowing down over time (20 min)
For anybody that is interested. I determined that the problem was a
domain/user name that my school had set up for my on campus usage. For some
reason, there were some incompatibilty/bugs that were affecting my computer.
All fixed now.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> you can always use Task Manager to see what it causing the problem NOW.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "eyc908" <eyc908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5DD9538-F1E7-4036-A09F-C973C7973183@microsoft.com...
> Wait a minute. No. The problem is happening again - intermittently. Is there
> such a thing as a breaking in period with computer operating systems?
>
> "eyc908" wrote:
>
> > Oh. Wow. I feel like an idiot. The indexing is now done, and the problem is
> > gone. Thanks a lot for the tip mikeyhsd.
> >
> > "mikeyhsd" wrote:
> >
> > > have you allowed indexing to complete.
> > > check Control Panel Indexing to see if it is done.
> > >

> > > mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
> > >

> > > "eyc908" <eyc908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8617486-5C7D-40D9-BFEA-051CF7F48E0F@microsoft.com...
> > > Basic functions such as directory navigation and even web browsing slow to a
> > > grind after about 20 minutes of use of my Vista Ultimate. Most noteable are
> > > the following slow-down issues:
> > >
> > > 1) Opening a folder such as "my documents" on a fresh restart will open
> > > instantaneously. After about 20 minutes of use, it takes approximately 15
> > > seconds just to open the folder. The same is true for most other
> > > directories. Restarting temporarily fixes the problem -- for 20 minutes.
> > >
> > > 2) When browsing the internet upon a fresh restart, I can always type in
> > > URLs in this form "www.blank.com" and it will immediately take me to the
> > > page. But after 20 minutes of use, it will take approximately 15 seconds
> > > before it will take me to that page. If I restart the computer, it works
> > > just fine -- for 20 minutes.
> > >
> > > 3) Computer generally behaves sluggishly after 20 minutes of use.
> > >
> > > INFO on my computer:
> > >
> > > Recently I did a clean install on my machine with Vista Ultimate.
> > > Afterwards, I installed all drivers and updates. Then I installed McAfee and
> > > Office 2007 Ultimate - nothing more. I did not move any files onto the
> > > computer other than about 5 word documents.
> > >
> > > I have gone into msconfig and disabled all the startup items, including
> > > McAfee, Microsoft Defense, and Microsoft Groove. This does not remedy the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Here are the specs on my computer:
> > >
> > > IBM Thinkpad T41
> > > Winodws Vista Ultimate
> > > Intel Pentirum M prcessor 1.6 GHz
> > > 1.5 GB RAM
> > > 60 GB HD (35 GB free)
> > > ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> > > McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me? I'm at my wit's end. Am I going to have to dump Vista?

AShvetsov@gmail.com

Re: Vista slowing down over time (20 min)
So, what problem it was? I have the same problem and i don't know how
to fight it? Leave domain? I can't do it...
How did you fight it?