Right SD for ReadyBoost drive

=?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?=

Right SD for ReadyBoost drive
Hope this question has not been asked before. I am looking into buying an
SD--or something similar--as a ReadyBoost device for my laptop--Fujitsu
LifeBook A3040 to improve its performance. (My laptop only has one gig of PC
2700 RAM, and the HD is slow as well--4200 rpm). What kind of SD or
something similar should I buy?

I tried the 50X Kingston SD for my digital cam in the internal flash reader
in my laptoop, but Vista(Business) says that it is not fast enough to work as
the ReadyBoost device!

Don't like to use a USB 2 thumb drive as the ReadyBoost device, because it
sticks out and has to be disconnected and reconnected every time! With an SD
or any compact flash card, it can sit inside the card reader without being
disconnected and reconnected all the time!

Any info is appreciated!
Richard G. Harper

Re: Right SD for ReadyBoost drive
I doubt that an SD card will have the bandwidth necessary for ReadyBoost.
It was designed to work with a device with USB2 bandwidth (480mb/sec).

"broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4A3964B-99E3-416C-A953-C7FB8A634FD3@microsoft.com...
> Hope this question has not been asked before. I am looking into buying an
> SD--or something similar--as a ReadyBoost device for my laptop--Fujitsu
> LifeBook A3040 to improve its performance. (My laptop only has one gig of
> PC
> 2700 RAM, and the HD is slow as well--4200 rpm). What kind of SD or
> something similar should I buy?
>
> I tried the 50X Kingston SD for my digital cam in the internal flash
> reader
> in my laptoop, but Vista(Business) says that it is not fast enough to work
> as
> the ReadyBoost device!
>
> Don't like to use a USB 2 thumb drive as the ReadyBoost device, because it
> sticks out and has to be disconnected and reconnected every time! With an
> SD
> or any compact flash card, it can sit inside the card reader without being
> disconnected and reconnected all the time!
>
> Any info is appreciated!

Dan Dragut

Re: Right SD for ReadyBoost drive
Hi,

I have an Asus R2H UMPC, and I just ordered recently a 2GB 133x Corsair SD
card - I can let you know how it goes.

Here's a list with SD cards and USB sticks that work with ReadyBoost
http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/

Here you can find how Vista qualifies the cads for ReadyBoost
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx

HTH,
Dan

"broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4A3964B-99E3-416C-A953-C7FB8A634FD3@microsoft.com...
> Hope this question has not been asked before. I am looking into buying an
> SD--or something similar--as a ReadyBoost device for my laptop--Fujitsu
> LifeBook A3040 to improve its performance. (My laptop only has one gig of
> PC
> 2700 RAM, and the HD is slow as well--4200 rpm). What kind of SD or
> something similar should I buy?
>
> I tried the 50X Kingston SD for my digital cam in the internal flash
> reader
> in my laptoop, but Vista(Business) says that it is not fast enough to work
> as
> the ReadyBoost device!
>
> Don't like to use a USB 2 thumb drive as the ReadyBoost device, because it
> sticks out and has to be disconnected and reconnected every time! With an
> SD
> or any compact flash card, it can sit inside the card reader without being
> disconnected and reconnected all the time!
>
> Any info is appreciated!

Steve Jain

Re: Right SD for ReadyBoost drive
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:21:00 -0800, broccolibeef
<broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hope this question has not been asked before. I am looking into buying an
>SD--or something similar--as a ReadyBoost device for my laptop--Fujitsu
>LifeBook A3040 to improve its performance. (My laptop only has one gig of PC
>2700 RAM, and the HD is slow as well--4200 rpm). What kind of SD or
>something similar should I buy?
>
>I tried the 50X Kingston SD for my digital cam in the internal flash reader
>in my laptoop, but Vista(Business) says that it is not fast enough to work as
>the ReadyBoost device!
>
>Don't like to use a USB 2 thumb drive as the ReadyBoost device, because it
>sticks out and has to be disconnected and reconnected every time! With an SD
>or any compact flash card, it can sit inside the card reader without being
>disconnected and reconnected all the time!
>
>Any info is appreciated!

I have sucessfully used a PQI 1GB SD, it's the hi-speed 133 version in
my Toshiba M400.
I've tried 60x and they are also too slow for readyboost.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
GreenWing

Re: Right SD for ReadyBoost drive
"broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4A3964B-99E3-416C-A953-C7FB8A634FD3@microsoft.com...
> Hope this question has not been asked before. I am looking into buying an
> SD--or something similar--as a ReadyBoost device for my laptop--Fujitsu
> LifeBook A3040 to improve its performance. (My laptop only has one gig of
> PC
> 2700 RAM, and the HD is slow as well--4200 rpm). What kind of SD or
> something similar should I buy?
>
> I tried the 50X Kingston SD for my digital cam in the internal flash
> reader
> in my laptoop, but Vista(Business) says that it is not fast enough to work
> as
> the ReadyBoost device!
>
> Don't like to use a USB 2 thumb drive as the ReadyBoost device, because it
> sticks out and has to be disconnected and reconnected every time! With an
> SD
> or any compact flash card, it can sit inside the card reader without being
> disconnected and reconnected all the time!
>
> Any info is appreciated!

I was able to get a regular 1GB SanDisk SD card to work in my
laptop...However for some reason my HP laptop requires it to be re-inserted
each time I power off/back on...

Today I was able to get the SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB (USB flash drive) to
work...For me this is a better solution over SD, but I would have preferred
to have used an SD card...

BTW, your SD card reader may be more important than the actual card used...I
was not able to get the exact same 1GB SD card to work on my SONY VIAO
desktop...Vista said it was not fast enough...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171121 A lot less
expensive than say CC or BB

Greenwing