Memory Question

Will

Memory Question
Had Crucial Ballistix ( 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) running Vista and just
added some PQI ( also 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) that I had purchased (lt I
had the crucial replaced as it was faulty.) Now it only shows as 2.48 gig
memory under Vista. Any reasons why this would happen ?

btw: Motherboard is Asus A8N32 Sli deluxe but cant find the manual

Will

Re: Memory Question

"Will" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news590123E-03FF-47D3-8118-CB45EA0A1B6B@microsoft.com...
> Had Crucial Ballistix ( 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) running Vista and just
> added some PQI ( also 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) that I had purchased (lt I
> had the crucial replaced as it was faulty.) Now it only shows as 2.48 gig
> memory under Vista. Any reasons why this would happen ?
>

> btw: Motherboard is Asus A8N32 Sli deluxe but cant find the manual

Also it changed my index from a 5 to a 4 ( 4 been the lowest and that is the
memory )

Just removed it and ran the index again and memory was back to 5.1

oh well, assume this mobo doesnt like or maybe support 4 gig memory

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Memory Question
I'm a little confused by this last post. Are you saying you have 4 GB of
ram, but only seeing 2.48 ?

You'll get a slower memory score if you have 4x1GB memory, because the
memory speeds will run in 2T settings instead of 1T. On an AMD system that's
about 1MB memory speed lost. If I run more than 2 sticks, my memory speeds
go from 6650MB/s to 5200<B/s under SANDRA's memory test. You tend to see
less of an impact on Intel system, though they tend not to score as high as
the AMD system. My old Intel system could onyl score a 5500 MB/s on the
memory test

Is the boot screen of the mobo reporting teh correct memory amount ?

"Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@noinsight.nocom> wrote in message
news:F7SdnRGNUqcsTSLYnZ2dnUVZ_uKknZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> I'm a little confused by this last post. Are you saying you have 4 GB of
> ram, but only seeing 2.48 ?

yes

> You'll get a slower memory score if you have 4x1GB memory, because the
> memory speeds will run in 2T settings instead of 1T. On an AMD system
> that's about 1MB memory speed lost. If I run more than 2 sticks, my memory
> speeds go from 6650MB/s to 5200<B/s under SANDRA's memory test. You tend
> to see less of an impact on Intel system, though they tend not to score as
> high as the AMD system. My old Intel system could onyl score a 5500 MB/s
> on the memory test

interesting

> Is the boot screen of the mobo reporting teh correct memory amount ?

when I went to look it locked up so I removed the memory

Anyway I will head across to the mobo's forum on Asus and see if they have
an answer

but,,,,maybe next week :-)

> "Will" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Will" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> news590123E-03FF-47D3-8118-CB45EA0A1B6B@microsoft.com...
>>> Had Crucial Ballistix ( 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) running Vista and just
>>> added some PQI ( also 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) that I had purchased (lt
>>> I had the crucial replaced as it was faulty.) Now it only shows as 2.48
>>> gig memory under Vista. Any reasons why this would happen ?
>>>

>>> btw: Motherboard is Asus A8N32 Sli deluxe but cant find the manual

>> Also it changed my index from a 5 to a 4 ( 4 been the lowest and that is
>> the memory )
>>

>> Just removed it and ran the index again and memory was back to 5.1
>>

>> oh well, assume this mobo doesnt like or maybe support 4 gig memory

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Memory Question
Well, since I hada extra GB of memory laying around I popped it into my
system Normally I run 2GB (2x1GB) since I wanted 2GB of memory and the
speed. I put in the other memory, all of which is PC3500. And my memory
score went from a 5.9 to a 4.5, which is about what I expected on this
systems.

On a positive note, Taskman reports 3069MB of memory. So I don't seem to
have a problem. Interestingly enough, I'm running the Abit A8N Ultra (not
SLI), So Outside of suggesting the usual BIOS update, not sure why you are
having the problem you're seeing.

> "Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@noinsight.nocom> wrote in message
> news:F7SdnRGNUqcsTSLYnZ2dnUVZ_uKknZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> I'm a little confused by this last post. Are you saying you have 4 GB of
>> ram, but only seeing 2.48 ?

> yes
>

>> You'll get a slower memory score if you have 4x1GB memory, because the
>> memory speeds will run in 2T settings instead of 1T. On an AMD system
>> that's about 1MB memory speed lost. If I run more than 2 sticks, my
>> memory speeds go from 6650MB/s to 5200<B/s under SANDRA's memory test.
>> You tend to see less of an impact on Intel system, though they tend not
>> to score as high as the AMD system. My old Intel system could onyl score
>> a 5500 MB/s on the memory test

> interesting
>>
>> Is the boot screen of the mobo reporting teh correct memory amount ?

> when I went to look it locked up so I removed the memory
>
> Anyway I will head across to the mobo's forum on Asus and see if they have
> an answer
>
> but,,,,maybe next week :-)
>>
>> "Will" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Will" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> news590123E-03FF-47D3-8118-CB45EA0A1B6B@microsoft.com...

>>> Also it changed my index from a 5 to a 4 ( 4 been the lowest and that is
>>> the memory )
>>>

>>> Just removed it and ran the index again and memory was back to 5.1
>>>

>>> oh well, assume this mobo doesnt like or maybe support 4 gig memory

=?Utf-8?B?dG9hc2FsZQ==?=

Re: Memory Question
I've got to ask the "simple" questions. Did you:

Discharge yourself/unit prior to installs/uninstalls?
Check to see if the sticks are good (Memtest, etc)?
Determine why your original(s) went kaput?
Blow compressed air into the sockets, understanding that the unit should NOT
be turned
on immediately so as to allow the cold areas to resume ambient temp?

I wish all cans of this type product would state the above. I've been to
units where the user(s) have either sprayed with the AC cord attached or
sprayed and immediately powered on. The sticks, cooling fans and circuitry
don't perform properly, until ambient is reached.

HTH (Hope this helps) -

"toasale" <toasale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got to ask the "simple" questions. Did you:
>
> Discharge yourself/unit prior to installs/uninstalls?

Yes

> Check to see if the sticks are good (Memtest, etc)?

Have done this before

> Determine why your original(s) went kaput?

No idea, faulty memory

> Blow compressed air into the sockets, understanding that the unit should
> NOT
> be turned
> on immediately so as to allow the cold areas to resume ambient temp?

Never done this and never will

> I wish all cans of this type product would state the above. I've been to
> units where the user(s) have either sprayed with the AC cord attached or
> sprayed and immediately powered on. The sticks, cooling fans and circuitry
> don't perform properly, until ambient is reached.
>
> HTH (Hope this helps) -

I think what Dale said may be the go....BIOS upgrade

Ben Enfield

Re: Memory Question
This is by design and is an artifact of running x86 not x64. The rest of
the ram is being used exclusively by the OS. For further information you
can search the newsgroups (I think there is a long thread about this in the
general newsgroup right now). You can also search for it on google or live.

Ben

"Will" <willsjunk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news590123E-03FF-47D3-8118-CB45EA0A1B6B@microsoft.com...
> Had Crucial Ballistix ( 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) running Vista and just
> added some PQI ( also 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) that I had purchased (lt I
> had the crucial replaced as it was faulty.) Now it only shows as 2.48 gig
> memory under Vista. Any reasons why this would happen ?
>

> btw: Motherboard is Asus A8N32 Sli deluxe but cant find the manual

rOy cOOrne

Re: Memory Question
Will wrote:
> Had Crucial Ballistix ( 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) running Vista and just
> added some PQI ( also 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) that I had purchased (lt
> I had the crucial replaced as it was faulty.) Now it only shows as 2.48
> gig memory under Vista. Any reasons why this would happen ?
>

> btw: Motherboard is Asus A8N32 Sli deluxe but cant find the manual

You find the manual at

<http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N32-SLI%20Deluxe>

Will

Re: Memory Question

"rOy cOOrne" <rcOOrne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will wrote:
>> Had Crucial Ballistix ( 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) running Vista and just
>> added some PQI ( also 2 x 1 gig dual channel ) that I had purchased (lt I
>> had the crucial replaced as it was faulty.) Now it only shows as 2.48 gig
>> memory under Vista. Any reasons why this would happen ?
>>

>> btw: Motherboard is Asus A8N32 Sli deluxe but cant find the manual

> You find the manual at
>
> <http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N32-SLI%20Deluxe>

Yes I know I can get it online there but I hate reading manuals
online......find it hard to scribble notes on my monitor :-)

But thanks I will download it and save it ( am now guaranteed of finding my
manual )