Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Display Driver Issue

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
=?Utf-8?B?WkFa?=
 

Posts: n/a
Display Driver Issue
I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI express.
It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium Ready, as
described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today, through
Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the display driver
that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed HORRIBLY -
slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault - it's a
driver issue.

When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back to
normal.

Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If anyone knows
the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my post.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Display Driver Issue
Hi ZAZ

Always be careful when downloading hardware driver updates from Windows
Update, even if they are recommended updates.

The update could be for a hardware item that currently has a particular
driver installed or for a particular version of the hardware item. There is
a Details link that leads to a More Information link on all of the updates
that should be looked at for the particulars of the update and exactly what
issues the update addresses.

The best strategy on any hardware update is that if you are not experiencing
the specific issue that it addresses, then do not install it. Check the
manufacturers website for further information about the update or current
issues with the specific card that you have.

--


Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7A0AD95-D6A6-42F3-8F26-244BA6B0EE11@microsoft.com...
>I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI
>express.
> It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium Ready, as
> described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today, through
> Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the display
> driver
> that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed HORRIBLY -
> slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault - it's
> a
> driver issue.
>
> When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back to
> normal.
>
> Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If anyone
> knows
> the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my post.
>
> Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
Jerry
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Display Driver Issue
ZAZ wrote:
> I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI express.
> It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium Ready, as
> described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today, through
> Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the display driver
> that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed HORRIBLY -
> slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault - it's a
> driver issue.
>
> When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back to
> normal.
>
> Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If anyone knows
> the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my post.
>
> Thanks.

My problem with Vista preview version is that Vista doesn't recognize my
ATI XT850 at all. There no display adapter or monitor listed in Device
Manager. I downloaded the latest Vista driver from ATI and it won't
install. I'm not panicking yet. I'll wait for my RTM version to arrive
and see what happens then.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
=?Utf-8?B?WkFa?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Display Driver Issue
I actually uninstalled my display driver after the problem and downloaded
what ATI offered on its website. Strangely enough, the same odd problem
happens. I hope it's not b/c of PCI interface b/c my motherboard will not
take graphics cards with other interfaces.

What should I do?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Hi ZAZ
>
> Always be careful when downloading hardware driver updates from Windows
> Update, even if they are recommended updates.
>
> The update could be for a hardware item that currently has a particular
> driver installed or for a particular version of the hardware item. There is
> a Details link that leads to a More Information link on all of the updates
> that should be looked at for the particulars of the update and exactly what
> issues the update addresses.
>
> The best strategy on any hardware update is that if you are not experiencing
> the specific issue that it addresses, then do not install it. Check the
> manufacturers website for further information about the update or current
> issues with the specific card that you have.
>
> --
>
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> "ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7A0AD95-D6A6-42F3-8F26-244BA6B0EE11@microsoft.com...
> >I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI
> >express.
> > It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium Ready, as
> > described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today, through
> > Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the display
> > driver
> > that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed HORRIBLY -
> > slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault - it's
> > a
> > driver issue.
> >
> > When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back to
> > normal.
> >
> > Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If anyone
> > knows
> > the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my post.
> >
> > Thanks.

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Display Driver Issue
Just roll the driver back to the version that was performing normally. If
this is not possible, you might want to try the System Restore utility to
get back to a date prior to the uninstall of the video card driver.

--


Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5D519206-0D62-4C92-A8F6-7B4AE1210908@microsoft.com...
>I actually uninstalled my display driver after the problem and downloaded
> what ATI offered on its website. Strangely enough, the same odd problem
> happens. I hope it's not b/c of PCI interface b/c my motherboard will not
> take graphics cards with other interfaces.
>
> What should I do?
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi ZAZ
>>
>> Always be careful when downloading hardware driver updates from Windows
>> Update, even if they are recommended updates.
>>
>> The update could be for a hardware item that currently has a particular
>> driver installed or for a particular version of the hardware item. There
>> is
>> a Details link that leads to a More Information link on all of the
>> updates
>> that should be looked at for the particulars of the update and exactly
>> what
>> issues the update addresses.
>>
>> The best strategy on any hardware update is that if you are not
>> experiencing
>> the specific issue that it addresses, then do not install it. Check the
>> manufacturers website for further information about the update or current
>> issues with the specific card that you have.
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news7A0AD95-D6A6-42F3-8F26-244BA6B0EE11@microsoft.com...
>> >I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI
>> >express.
>> > It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium Ready,
>> > as
>> > described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today,
>> > through
>> > Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the display
>> > driver
>> > that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed
>> > HORRIBLY -
>> > slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault -
>> > it's
>> > a
>> > driver issue.
>> >
>> > When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back to
>> > normal.
>> >
>> > Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If anyone
>> > knows
>> > the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my
>> > post.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
=?Utf-8?B?WkFa?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Display Driver Issue
Thanks for your help. I used Sys Restore and now everything back to normal.

I hope that ATI fixes its driver issue ASAP!

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Just roll the driver back to the version that was performing normally. If
> this is not possible, you might want to try the System Restore utility to
> get back to a date prior to the uninstall of the video card driver.
>
> --
>
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> "ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5D519206-0D62-4C92-A8F6-7B4AE1210908@microsoft.com...
> >I actually uninstalled my display driver after the problem and downloaded
> > what ATI offered on its website. Strangely enough, the same odd problem
> > happens. I hope it's not b/c of PCI interface b/c my motherboard will not
> > take graphics cards with other interfaces.
> >
> > What should I do?
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi ZAZ
> >>
> >> Always be careful when downloading hardware driver updates from Windows
> >> Update, even if they are recommended updates.
> >>
> >> The update could be for a hardware item that currently has a particular
> >> driver installed or for a particular version of the hardware item. There
> >> is
> >> a Details link that leads to a More Information link on all of the
> >> updates
> >> that should be looked at for the particulars of the update and exactly
> >> what
> >> issues the update addresses.
> >>
> >> The best strategy on any hardware update is that if you are not
> >> experiencing
> >> the specific issue that it addresses, then do not install it. Check the
> >> manufacturers website for further information about the update or current
> >> issues with the specific card that you have.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> "ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news7A0AD95-D6A6-42F3-8F26-244BA6B0EE11@microsoft.com...
> >> >I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI
> >> >express.
> >> > It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium Ready,
> >> > as
> >> > described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today,
> >> > through
> >> > Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the display
> >> > driver
> >> > that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed
> >> > HORRIBLY -
> >> > slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault -
> >> > it's
> >> > a
> >> > driver issue.
> >> >
> >> > When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back to
> >> > normal.
> >> >
> >> > Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If anyone
> >> > knows
> >> > the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my
> >> > post.
> >> >
> >> > Thanks.
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Display Driver Issue
ZAZ

Glad to help. Drivers will likely be an issue for quiet some time, there
were a lot of hardware vendors dragging their feet with Vista compatible
drivers.

--


Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0C46D38B-5840-4F3A-AF13-0FD8DF3F9717@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your help. I used Sys Restore and now everything back to
> normal.
>
> I hope that ATI fixes its driver issue ASAP!
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Just roll the driver back to the version that was performing normally. If
>> this is not possible, you might want to try the System Restore utility to
>> get back to a date prior to the uninstall of the video card driver.
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5D519206-0D62-4C92-A8F6-7B4AE1210908@microsoft.com...
>> >I actually uninstalled my display driver after the problem and
>> >downloaded
>> > what ATI offered on its website. Strangely enough, the same odd
>> > problem
>> > happens. I hope it's not b/c of PCI interface b/c my motherboard will
>> > not
>> > take graphics cards with other interfaces.
>> >
>> > What should I do?
>> >
>> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi ZAZ
>> >>
>> >> Always be careful when downloading hardware driver updates from
>> >> Windows
>> >> Update, even if they are recommended updates.
>> >>
>> >> The update could be for a hardware item that currently has a
>> >> particular
>> >> driver installed or for a particular version of the hardware item.
>> >> There
>> >> is
>> >> a Details link that leads to a More Information link on all of the
>> >> updates
>> >> that should be looked at for the particulars of the update and exactly
>> >> what
>> >> issues the update addresses.
>> >>
>> >> The best strategy on any hardware update is that if you are not
>> >> experiencing
>> >> the specific issue that it addresses, then do not install it. Check
>> >> the
>> >> manufacturers website for further information about the update or
>> >> current
>> >> issues with the specific card that you have.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Ronnie Vernon
>> >> Microsoft MVP
>> >> Windows Shell/User
>> >>
>> >> "ZAZ" <ZAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news7A0AD95-D6A6-42F3-8F26-244BA6B0EE11@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I own a Visiontek ATI X1300 PCI video card - note that it is NOT PCI
>> >> >express.
>> >> > It satisfies all requirements for Aero interface, and is Premium
>> >> > Ready,
>> >> > as
>> >> > described by Visiontek and the product box. However, just today,
>> >> > through
>> >> > Windows Update, it recommended that I install an update to the
>> >> > display
>> >> > driver
>> >> > that was published on 1/24/07. After I did so, Aero performed
>> >> > HORRIBLY -
>> >> > slow as anything. I don't think that it's the graphics card fault -
>> >> > it's
>> >> > a
>> >> > driver issue.
>> >> >
>> >> > When I rolled back to the previously installed driver, all went back
>> >> > to
>> >> > normal.
>> >> >
>> >> > Anyone else having trouble with ATI display drivers lately? If
>> >> > anyone
>> >> > knows
>> >> > the reason why I have experienced this problem, please reply to my
>> >> > post.
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks.
>> >>

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Access Permission Issue =?Utf-8?B?TWF0?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 03-31-2008 02:18
WIFI driver re-set problem =?Utf-8?B?TUxfUw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-25-2007 14:01
Re: Printer sharing-another issue =?Utf-8?B?Ymlja2FiYWg=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-09-2007 03:59
Display Settings change =?Utf-8?B?d29zdWxseQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 01-14-2007 14:40
Vista MCE: Problem playing DVDs - "Files to display video" error =?Utf-8?B?cG9saXRieQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 6 01-02-2007 18:31




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120