Re: "Error: 'null' is null or not an object" when trying to view video

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: "Error: 'null' is null or not an object" when trying to view video
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"cse" <cse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to view most video clips on nfl.com, I get the yellow yield sign
> with the '!' in it at the bottom left corner of the screen, and when I double
> click it I get the following:
> Line: 53
> Char: 52
> Error: 'null' is null or not an object
> Code: 0
>

> This has been happening ever since I got the new computer with vista home
> premium. I have no problems viewing these videos on my old windows 98
> machine, or my windows xp machine at work. I can view videos on cnn.com on
> my vista machine. I have IE 7.0 on the vista machine.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a plug in of some sort that I'm missing. Has
> anyone seen this?

Apparently. Some Vista users find that running as Administrator avoids
symptoms like this. On XP you might get this symptom if the file being
opened was a Shockwave Flash (.SWF) file from a local source.
A workaround in that case is to enable LocalMachine_LockDown by
_unchecking_ in Options, Advanced tab, Security section

Allow active content to run in files on My Computer*

Note the asterisk which means you must be using a new instance
of iexplore.exe to test any change to that option.

BTW a related issue could be whether

Run IE in Protected Mode*

(in same location, lower down in list) is checked.

This option has been mentioned by Vista posters here too.
FWIW it's greyed in my XPsp2 so I suspect it's either a Vista only feature
or one only seen by users who implement even stricter lockdowns
(as Win2003 server operators might want to employ, for example).
Try using gpedit.msc to check for that possibility.

Ref: "Using Group Policy to Manage Internet Explorer"

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...faq.mspx#EBCAC

Hint: the article will help you drill down through the Group Policy tree
to find settings which apply to Internet Explorer.

Cross-posted to a Vista-specific newsgroup because I don't use that OS.

> Thanks.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

torpedo21

On Dec 3, 12:07 pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)"cse" <c...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > When I try to view most video clips on nfl.com, I get the yellow yield sign
> > with the '!' in it at the bottom left corner of the screen, and when I double
> > click it I get the following:
> > Line: 53
> > Char: 52
> > Error: 'null' isnullor not an object
> > Code: 0
> > URL:http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoid=09000d5d804679d1

> > This has been happening ever since I got the new computer with vista home
> > premium. I have no problems viewing these videos on my old windows 98
> > machine, or my windows xp machine at work. I can view videos on cnn.com on
> > my vista machine. I have IE 7.0 on the vista machine.

> > I'm wondering if there's a plug in of some sort that I'm missing. Has
> > anyone seen this?

> Apparently. Some Vista users find that running as Administrator avoids
> symptoms like this. On XP you might get this symptom if the file being
> opened was a Shockwave Flash (.SWF) file from a local source.
> A workaround in that case is to enable LocalMachine_LockDown by
> _unchecking_ in Options, Advanced tab, Security section
>
> Allow active content to run in files on My Computer*
>
> Note the asterisk which means you must be using a new instance
> of iexplore.exe to test any change to that option.
>
> BTW a related issue could be whether
>
> Run IE in Protected Mode*
>
> (in same location, lower down in list) is checked.
>
> This option has been mentioned by Vista posters here too.
> FWIW it's greyed in my XPsp2 so I suspect it's either a Vista only feature
> or one only seen by users who implement even stricter lockdowns
> (as Win2003 server operators might want to employ, for example).
> Try using gpedit.msc to check for that possibility.
>
> Ref: "Using Group Policy to Manage Internet Explorer"
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...gies/featured/...
>
> Hint: the article will help you drill down through the Group Policy tree
> to find settings which apply to Internet Explorer.
>
> Cross-posted to a Vista-specific newsgroup because I don't use that OS.
>

> > Thanks.

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle

I am having the same problem and the reply to this problem didnt help
much. Can anyone help? I seem to get this when i visit youtube. please
help.